PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Medical, previous dependency

V1VN
7th Sep 2010, 22:54
Hi fellow avatars, just signed up t PPRUNE-seems like a great community and resource. I'm currently an aspiring pilot progressing through the PPL syllabus, and loving every minute in the air. I would love to become a commercial pilot eventually.

However I have a major worry, five years ago I suffered injuries, including a broken arm and collarbone, in a gnarly car accident. The docs prescribed me opioid analgesics (Morphine, Oxycontin) for the pain. Despite taking them exactly as instructed, over time my body developed a dependence and ultimately tolerance to the substance. I never took the medication for a psychoactive effect, I used it completely as prescribed. Once my pain had eased, I no longer needed the medication. However, my body did. If I didn't take it, I would suffer intense withdrawals, which I couldn't go through with as in full time employment.

This was a frightening experience for me, I am a tee-totaller. I haven't drank alcohol in 8 years, nor have I ever used an illegal substance in my life. Drugs just aren't my thing. So to find myself addicted to something that I took under the guidance of medical professionals, I was completely bewildered. I done exactly what my doc. told me to do, and this happened. I demanded that my doctor stop with the medication completely, but was told that a "cold turkey detox" could prove dangerous to my general health, and was strongly advised to consider substitute therapy instead. I'm only human, when the Captain of a jet turns the seatbelt sign, I belt up because I trust his or her judgement and professional acumen. I assumed that the doc had my best interests at heart (to be fair, in his eyes he probably did) So I followed his advice, and went on substitute therapy. This was horrible for me, and 5 weeks into the therapy I decided that the best course of action for both myself, my job and family was to detox completely from this horrible substance.

I was successful, and that was over 5 years ago. Haven't used anything since, and that includes alcohol The only drug I take from time to time is caffeine! I am terrified that this will affect my eligibility for a Class 1 Medical. Flying is and always will be my ultimate ambition, I am so happy when in the air it is what I live for and I am so determined to craft a career out of it. I just cannot believe that following the advice of a doctor ended in this way. I done everything I was instructed to, and would never even consider taking more than I was told. To me it was simply medicine.

Would I perhaps be better applying for a FAA medical? As I believe that they dictate "No abuse/dependency within the past two years".

Finally, when you go to the JAA medical I assume they get full access to your medical history, or is it based on what you declare? I would never consider being dishonest with my application as integrity means a lot to me, but nonetheless I am curious as to what the actual procedure is.

Many thanks for reading about my predicament, I appreciate any guidance that you can offer.

T

MagicTiger
7th Sep 2010, 23:31
I doubt anyone on these forums would be able to give you any definitive answer, FAA route does not really help you if you want to work in Europe, you can't work in USA, because of visa restrictions.

However would contact the CAA, and explain them your situation, probably get a report from your doctor confirming all as you have explained. I am not expert, but have found out that CAA medical are a lot more understanding than maybe many might think.
Another issue that might pop up, is for a job interview, not sure if there are ever any questions about previous drug dependency etc., again good advice might be gained by speaking with a doctor from the CAA medical department.

Any answer from this boards, will mean very little, unless it is an AME with extensive knowledge. Another you could contact could be an AME, he might be able to contact the CAA for you, to find out their position on this.

Flyin'Dutch'
2nd Oct 2010, 19:34
Any answer from this boards, will mean very little, unless it is an AME with extensive knowledge. Another you could contact could be an AME, he might be able to contact the CAA for you, to find out their position on this.

Very sounds advice.

The CAA will want to know chapter and verse and will advice accordingly.

If you want to go commercial the best advice would probably be to contact the CAA set out your store and see what information they want and then have a class 1 medical with them. That way you know that you can meet the standard required before forking out a lot of money (and emotional anguish) on going the commercial route.

Alternatively if you just want to get flying, get a the probably AME of your choice to contact them on your behalf; you would still have to submit the information they require and get their go-ahead before you can start (well go solo really - you can take lessons without a medical)

HTH

FD

Shunter
2nd Oct 2010, 20:44
Having had a similar unfortunate incident in a motorcycle vs Chelsea tractor dogfight hopefully my experience will be of use. I managed to smash my back up fairly badly and spent a few months flat out, dosed up to the eyeballs. The damage was fortunately quite light (as far as back injuries go) but didn't stop it being crucifyingly painful at the time.

When I went for for my initial class 2 I declared the incident, along with the fact that I still took the fairly heavy-duty stuff on occasions that required it. Letter from the GP and the CAA were all happy. A year or so later I went to Gatwick to get a Class 1 and it was barely even discussed; condition unchanged, medication unchanged. Now got a CPL, do a bit of instructing etc...

Interestingly every time I see a new AME I get an identical response of "that's not permitted" until they check out my record on the CAA database, shrug their shoulders, mumble a bit and sign it off. Whilst I genuinely feel the CAA want to be as helpful as possible with medical matters (colour vision specifically excluded) I am aware of numerous examples of double standards and sometimes wonder if there's a bit of "oh bugger, we shouldn't have let that slip through; oh well, just have to live with it now" going on.

If you've been off it for years I really don't think you'll have a problem at all. Medication prescribed by a doctor is taken in the best of faith.