PDA

View Full Version : Target.

Fly747
7th Sep 2010, 15:10
Below from the Guarniad; surely we'd be taking them over!

The move came as bookmakers identified Chile's Lan Airlines as the most likely target of BA's chief executive, Willie Walsh, who said this weekend that he had a shortlist of 12 carriers that could be bought by BA once it merges with Spain's Iberia later this year to form International Airlines Group.

Paddy Power, the Irish bookmaker, identified LAN as the most likely new addition to IAG after Walsh declared that his consolidation plans were far from over. Hong Kong's Cathay Pacific is another contender, along with other household names such as American Airlines and Qantas.

geh065
7th Sep 2010, 15:38
Oneworld member LAN's recently announced merger with Brazilian TAM (Star Alliance) is rumoured to take them out of oneworld leaving a huge gap in the network now that Mexicana has gone bust. Buying LAN could maybe keep oneworld's stronghold in South America.

As for buying Cathay, I am not sure it is for sale is it? The Chinese I doubt will give up their part and I doubt Swire will sell to BA. Walsh has already acknowledged that their wish list is just that; wishes. He knows that it will be impossible to get everything on that list.

AnAmusedReader
8th Sep 2010, 01:38
It's not much more than another of his publicity stunts to divert attention from the mess he's made at BA and to keep up with that other looney countryman of his who thinks that co-pilots are not needed and cabin attendants can help the captain in an emergency.