PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Desert Strip Basher
7th Sep 2010, 14:46
In my current job (not flying) I can save about £1300/month after accounting for all living costs. I've been offered the chance to build up to 300hrs on SEP's over 6 months, though there is no pay (club environment rather than commercial). Allowing for cost of living etc over and above the lost savings, I reckon these hours would effectively cost me £30/hr. Obviously cheaper than paying hire rates and a good way of quickly building some hours and experience plus being around the aviation community, but there's still a cost. What would you do?

mad_jock
7th Sep 2010, 14:55
Stick in your current job.

the up to is the big give away. Its the carrot to get you in. In reality you will find you don't get anywhere near that amount. They are just trying to be cheap bastards not hiring someone in to do a commercial job.

cavortingcheetah
7th Sep 2010, 15:59
Am I wrong in the maths here?

You say that (Allowing for cost of living etc over and above the lost savings, I reckon these hours would effectively cost me £30/hr.) You also say that you can save £1,300 a month net from your salary after all expenses and that you'll be flying 300 hours over six months which will cost you £30 per hour, over and above your lost savings.
I must be wrong but I work out the cost you you as being:

£1,300 x 6 = £7,200
£30 x 300 = £9,000
Total amount= £ 16,200

Hours flown = 300
Effective cost per hour = £54.
That's if you fly 300 hours. If you fly 200 then the cost is £81 per hour. You certainly are paying a price for the air time.

That's all net and disregards any ISA or whatever on which you could have made a profit on your not inconsiderable saving capability.

Even if I am wrong in the above calculations which is very likely, I am highly inclined to agree with mad_jock. Have you seen the club account books to establish that there are enough hours floating around to guarantee your 300 hours? Also, Summer is not Icumen in and six months form now lands you perhaps in the middle of a muddy field in March?
Rotten stuff I'm afraid but this Scarlet Pimpernel didn't get where he is today by not being a great sceptic.

flightlevel1985
7th Sep 2010, 20:45
Is it a glider towing role?

Desert Strip Basher
7th Sep 2010, 21:15
Re:math - I was only trying to show that I'd accounted for everything and the true cost of the hours - further to what I can save right now, I can also cover living costs which once you don't have income need to be payed for somewhere. Hence £1300x6 plus some living costs divided by 300 = £30/hr. It's actually worse than this as I can also still have a good social life, car, holiday etc, though these can be done without for a while

Desert Strip Basher
10th Sep 2010, 12:59
I'm amazed there are so few replies - any further thoughts from anyone?

Farrell
10th Sep 2010, 13:09
OK. I'll bite.

Stick with your current job.
Better to have a solid income under contract / permanent arrangement.

Imagine doing something like breaking your leg within a week of starting at the flight-school - now you have no job AND no money.

Be patient - the hours will come.

Farrell

Prophead
10th Sep 2010, 13:30
Save up the £1300 over 6 months and go and get some multi hours. Or get an instructors rating and try and get some weekend work.

I take it you have your fATPL done.