PDA

View Full Version : AIP Book available free on line?

rubberprune
7th Sep 2010, 08:16
Dear all,
My instructor recently advised me to purchase the AIP (Aeronautical Information Package). I suspect he was tired of all my questions, suggested I might make a good aviation lawyer, and has pointed be in the direction of the 'rule book'.

So I bought a copy for about $140.

Now I see the information appears to be available on the Airservices website: Airservices Australia - Aeronautical Information Package (AIP) (http://www.airservices.gov.au/publications/aip.asp?pg=20&vdate=26-Aug-2010&ver=1)

The only thing is, my Safari browser will not navigate from the index pages.

Can anyone here confirm that the AIP is available on line, or must it be purchased and subscribed to in hardcopy afterall?

Kind regards,

rubber

Viscount812
8th Sep 2010, 16:33
Just had a look around in IE8 and it seemed to work fine beyond the index pages. However, as with all documents which are subdivided into small html files for each section, it's a real pain - and a lot of work - to try to put together the equivalent of a book with the whole lot in it in the right place. Personally I think I would buy a copy.

gkh72
9th Sep 2010, 07:02
Hi Rubber,

I am doing the same thing and tried to do the same with the download and gave up. Too much effort when you can just pay and get the book!

gkh72

rubberprune
9th Sep 2010, 10:23
Thanks guys for your replies,

I have since downloaded the Adobe Reader which offers to install a pdf reader as a Safari Plugin. This has solved my problem; I am now able to read the AIP docs online.

However, it is quite a drag using the pdf links.

I have been keeping an eye on a few smart phone apps which incorporate the online data in a convenient, easy to read way. The only trouble is the developers have been having legal trouble with Airservices who claim their copyright is infringed by these apps. One developer, who brings ERSA to the iPhone/iPad claims his app is just a browser like any other we already use to access the information of Airservices website. But his browser caches the data (let's face it, it's not much use if we can't read it offline) and this contravenes Airservices User Agreement. But the app is nevertheless currently still available and I understand he may attempt to do the same with the AIP.

Kind regards,
rubber