PDA

View Full Version : CATS "online" vs. "online+"

take_0ff
6th Sep 2010, 16:14
Hi
I was looking at the CATS ATPL online courses. I am wondering, what the differences between “online” and “online+” are.
“Online+” includes online and paper study guides while “online” only includes online study guides. What exactly does that mean? Is this CATS ATPL Training Manual Set (http://www.transair.co.uk/product4.asp?SID=2&Product_ID=8853) training manual set included in the “online+” version?
Are the online study guides just the digital versions of the books? Or do I need additional books anyway? Can I use other books then the one provided by CATS or would it be too confusing?
Are there big differences between the different manuals (CATS, Nordian, OAT, Jeppesen etc.)?

Thanks a lot for your help!

take_0ff

UAV689
6th Sep 2010, 19:53
Online + will have paper versions of the online notes. Great school I got first time passes with them.

Nothing to stop you getting notes from another school to help explain things in a different light.

Keith.Williams.
6th Sep 2010, 21:25
Would it not be better to ask CATS?

This would have the added benefit of enabling you to test how good (or bad) their customer/student support system is.

I know very little about CATS, but if they (or any other school that you may be considering doing your training with) cannot give you a quick response with a clear answer to this type of question then............

take_0ff
7th Sep 2010, 14:26
Yes, thank you. I will ask them directly.

Follow up question:

I think that I need notes, therefore I was looking at the different manual-sets at different online pilot shops:
What:-----------price:--------includes:
Nordian set:---- ca. £700----15 books
OAT-Pack 1:----ca. £650----14 books + exam prep CD
OAT-Pack 2:----ca. £850----14 books + exam prep CD + set of training CDs
Jeppesen set:---ca. £600----15 books + Q&A CD + student pilot route manual
CATS set:------ ca. £650*-- 13 books
*£600 if purchased with CATS ATPL online+ course(?)

It looks like the Jeppesen set is a steal. Is there a catch?

Which set do you think is worth the money? Of course, I will eventually go and have a look at the different books. But maybe you have an opinion on any of the sets? Did I miss one? Is there something else I should put into consideration before purchasing one?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Take_0ff

PA28Viking
7th Sep 2010, 18:58
I used the Jeppssen books together with the CATS online(no '+')

I found it hard to read that massiv volume of information on the screen. Jeppesen was a good supplement for me, giving another angle on difficult topics.

Good luck

The Viking

Pitch+Power
9th Sep 2010, 13:31
The Cats notes also contain stage test questions at the end of most chapters, these are in addition to the online questions.

:ok:

Greg2041
10th Sep 2010, 08:37
Definitely the CATS notes. Without doubt they are the easiest to read and understand than the others. They are much more colourful too. Do have a look at the other publishers and you will see why CATS books are the obvious choice. Enjoy!

stupix
11th Sep 2010, 23:25
i am currently studying the CATS theory with the books and the online, thoroughly recommend it. great way to do it.