PDA

View Full Version : SAA on BA's shopping list?

Eduan
6th Sep 2010, 16:02
From this morning's Telegraph:
"Willie Walsh is thinking Big. BA's Irish born chief executive has drawn up a shortlist of 12 airlines he would like to buy once the merger with Iberia has been completed... There may be a dose of wishful thinking about such ambitious plans, but Mr Walsh has been hard at work attempting to chart the future for International Airlines Group (IAG) – the BA and Iberia holding company – as well as coping with BA's little local difficulties back home. The list has emerged in the last few months as a result of a series of detailed conversations with Antonio Vazquez – his opposite number at Iberia – to ensure IAG is at the forefront of the next round of consolidation in an industry heading for another shake-up. Mr Walsh would not comment on the identity of the 12 – and stressed that no approaches have yet been made. But they are understood to include Qantas, South African Airways and Finnair and at least one low cost operator, believed to be AirAsia. Speaking to The Daily Telegraph in Mumbai, Mr Walsh said conversations about targets have been ongoing for "months", with a view to ensuring that IAG's eventual structure does not preclude the takeover of other airlines."
BA's Walsh draws up shopping list of 12 airlines - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/7983177/BAs-Walsh-draws-up-shopping-list-of-12-airlines.html)

cavortingcheetah
6th Sep 2010, 19:52
That would be a crafty move. To buy out or to merge with SAA and then use their very healthy pension fund to supplement the extremely unhealthy BA pension fund merging the two funds to produce one satisfactory and stable fund. That would thereby remove the hairy mammoth in the terminal, the pension deficit, BA's one remaining great stumbling block toward sky high long term economic expansion. Such a move would also neatly tie up any loose ends that might remain insofar as Iberia is concerned after their deal. The walk away clause for Iberia dependant on the pension problem being sorted out would fall away. Such a move could also have interesting repercussions on the ongoing and tedious cabin crew dispute. A satisfactory solution to the pension fund problem would be very hard for Unite no matter what the cost to its internal political structure. Could this be a master stroke from WW?

Eduan
6th Sep 2010, 20:23
The unions would be an issue on the SA side.

Shrike200
8th Sep 2010, 18:03
There is no way on earth that BA will ever be allowed to own controlling shares in SAA, or take it over in any way. It would be interesting, but it won't happen in the foreseeable future (ie a long, long time)

Normally I don't go with definitive statements, but I think I'll risk this one :)

cavortingcheetah
8th Sep 2010, 18:23
I am very inclined to agree with your definitive statement. But this is Africa and every one in the ministry has their price. So while I don't see BA taking over SAA I could envisage Comair doing so. That would be exceedingly funny.

divinehover
9th Sep 2010, 05:43
As long as I don't have to say "Birdseed", sorry I mean "Speedbird".