PDA

View Full Version : Time-frame for ATPL

steggers
6th Sep 2010, 14:59
Hi guys, a first officer yesterday said to me something that got me thinking. I'm hoping to start my CPL/IR in January and he said that you've only got 5 years (from your 1st date of when you sat the ATPL exams) to abtain your ATPL ie. 1500 hours. Can i just ask.......is this correct?

I know that you've got 3 years to complete the CPL/IR from the last date of the last exam but i've not heard of this 5 year rule before to un-freeze it. I've tried to find it in Lazors but had no luck.

Hope someone can help me out!

RVR800
6th Sep 2010, 15:32
The 5 year thing is incorrect so the fo is wrong (36 months is right for CPL/IR issue)

Unfreezing occurs when you have 1500 incl 500 multi crew

BoeingDreamer
6th Sep 2010, 16:27
I believe you just need to have a current CPL/IR - there was a 7 year rule for something, but dont recall exactly what that was now.

mcgoo
6th Sep 2010, 16:53
The 7 years is for the ATPL exams, they are are valid for 7 years after the last IR validity date.

MagicTiger
6th Sep 2010, 18:35
So that means as long as your IR is valid, there is no limit to achieve ATPL. Some might fly biz jet operations, and never get the hours required to achieve ATPL's either, because of the specific time required to achieve it, if I am not mistaken.

steggers
6th Sep 2010, 19:33
Many thanks for everyone replies........i've now found out the answer. You have 7 years to obtain an ATPL. Everytime you re-new your IR this 7 years starts again. So as long as you keep your IR current every year you've still got that 7 year shield. Hope i've explained that correctly.