PDA

View Full Version : Food in Hand Baggage

Tequilaboy
6th Sep 2010, 13:30
Hi guys,

Little bit of an off-piste one here. Travelling to Majorca next weekend for 10 days to the holiday homestead over there and wondered what if any restrictions there are in carrying foodstuffs in a small chill bag (like the ones you get free at M&S) when going through security. Am flying from EGSS.

Am only talking about breakfast items (no liquids) such as decent sausages and proper bacon for breakfast stuffs as you dont seem to get anything other than Chorizo and Oscar Meyer Fatty Streaky Bacon at our local supermarket there which is not much cop with some fried bread and eggs!

Just a thought!

Thanks,

TB

fred737
6th Sep 2010, 13:41
To avoid any problems with the jobsworths get vacuum packed stuff and put it in your checked baggage.

Tequilaboy
6th Sep 2010, 13:55
Was thinking of doing that but just did not want to fall foul of anything that I should already know but for the life of me I cant find the info online.

Capetonian
6th Sep 2010, 13:58
I've never had any problem with this within the EU from either a customs or a security perspective. I am told that soft cheese is a problem but for various reasons there is no way I would be transporting that!

Evanelpus
6th Sep 2010, 15:20
Little bit of an off-piste one here. Travelling to Majorca next weekend for 10 days to the holiday homestead over there and wondered what if any restrictions there are in carrying foodstuffs in a small chill bag (like the ones you get free at M&S) when going through security. Am flying from EGSS.

Am only talking about breakfast items (no liquids) such as decent sausages and proper bacon for breakfast stuffs as you dont seem to get anything other than Chorizo and Oscar Meyer Fatty Streaky Bacon at our local supermarket there which is not much cop with some fried bread and eggs!

Just a thought!

You don't watch Nothing to Declare by any chance?

Sygyzy
7th Sep 2010, 08:45
You might try a couple of litres of fruice juice frozen solid, wrapped in plastic bags instead of ice packs to keep everything cool. Pack your bacon, saussages etc around them. Then when you reach destination you'll still have the juice to drink rather than the normal ice pack that has to be brought back to UK. Anything up to 5 hours is fine for this. Even if they do melt it's no hardship.

Beware though this isn't for hand luggage. I was told recently that marmalade/jam/peanut butter is now classified as non liquid as it's measured in grams and not ml. One trip=confiscation, next let through with jam and the above explanation, next trip, confiscated again. All this at the same LHR terminal, so stick it in the checked baggage or don't take it.:ok:
S

Sunnyjohn
8th Sep 2010, 21:31
I regularly bring a quite a bit of food back to Spain from the UK and, when I'm travelling alone, I only have hand luggage, so it tends to be a couple of changes of T shirts and underwear and the rest is food (no liquids or pastes obviously). I always have to empty my bag - it's usually a rucksack and they're quite difficult to repack! Last time, I asked the security why, and was told that a large amount of organic matter always attracts attention. Also, soap and cheese has the same consistency on the scanner as semtex. I still cary a rucksack full of food but am now careful how I pack it and always allow plenty of time. All the security staff who have dealt with me have always been pleasant and on two ocassions the person unloading my rucksack very carefully arranged it so that I could put it back in the same order. There are some nice people about - they just have to do their job but if you are pleasant and patient they will be, too.