PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Mil Aircrew (Non pilot) to Airline Pilot

RCOV 2 ENG
6th Sep 2010, 09:34
Hi Guys,

Considering the current economic climate and downturn in the aviation industry, I was wondering if there are still realistic opportunities to utilise previous flying experience and to get 'a foot in the door' somewhere?

I was a RAF Flight Engineer, and used to working in a busy cockpit environment. I have been away from the game now for a couple of years as personal circumstances and mortgage take priority.

I have read horror stories of the 85k GBP+ required to go from PPL to ATPL, and to be honest I can't entertain that, what with 2 kids and a mortgage. Maybe I will just have to get a PPL and fly recreationally for fun.

It has always been a pipe dream to become a professional pilot, maybe now is not the right time?

Advice and hints and tips appreciated in advance!

Superpilot
6th Sep 2010, 16:32
You've asked yourself the question. Now decide the answer :ok:

Flying Mechanic
6th Sep 2010, 17:07
personally I reckon do it.It looks good on your cv your have flying experience I have know a few FE's over the years who have jumped into the right seat and never looked back. I reckon do your FAA tickets, get a CPL/IR, also do your FAA A&P ticket aswell ( always comes in handy- trust me!), then later on do your JAA lic( and all that wont cost u 85K),just go for it, dont listen to alll the negative people on pprune!I was ground engineer until 1995, then went flying/training, got my first flying job in 1999 ( i was 30)then pistons, turbo props, heavies and now corporate....my advice, chase the dream.

Wirbelsturm
7th Sep 2010, 07:36
Contact the CAA directly with your log book and experience. The chap used to be Simon White as the military liasion man but I'm sure he will have moved on.

They will be able to brief you on what you require and if and dispensations are available.

Then make your decision.

Good luck.

(P.S. Getting a face to face meeting with the assessor is invaluable if you can do it!)

Pabs
7th Sep 2010, 11:16
I am ex RAF (non-aircrew), did my PPL with military flying clubs - loved flying and really wanted to be a proffessional pilot. I left the RAF after a thoroughly enjoyable 8 years to pursue my dream. I did my ATPL theory and then progressed with my hours building during which time the credit crunch hit the aviation industry with companies forced to downsize and make cutbacks. Knowing that a professional piloting job would be difficult to get in the current climate I decided to get my CPL / IR and keep it single engine so it would be cheaper to renew but would keep my ATPL Theory results valid.
I now have a very good job which keeps me enthused and working within the aviation industry - admittedly my dream hasn't come about yet but I dont regret any part of what I have achieved.
If you want some more details or have any more questions with regards to my experiences then please email me or PM me. We might even know eachother.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

captbod
7th Sep 2010, 12:02
Not sure if your Flt Eng status will get you any exemptions, however it'll probably give you a head start regarding the ground school tech. We have the normal compliment of ex mil pilots, but we also have an ex Herc Flt Eng and an ex Rockape who's previous flying experience was jumping out the back, so yes it can be done. You need to consider the costs together with your age and the chance of success, (by that I mean gaining paid employment on completion of training). Also be realistic regarding your expectations.

Good luck and best wishes what ever you decide.

CB.

RCOV 2 ENG
7th Sep 2010, 13:44
Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for all your +ve feedback! All taken onboard.

I didn't think my FE experience would get me any exemptions but I will follow that up anyway.

So is it best to just chip away at the old hours building and gain PPL, CPL etc. then look for employment, or is it worth doing modular courses to gain each qualification in turn? I think the block course would be better as it would be continuous rather than staged. PPL block, then CPL block etc etc...

I know flying is cheaper outwith the UK, eg. Florida etc. but this qualifies you as FAA PPL etc.( correct if wrong please) so I would then need to pay to transfer to JAA?

I was looking at CTC yesterday and the sponsorship scheme looks good, if you are lucky enough to actually get picked up rather than just sit in the holding pool! Is this viable in the 'real world'?

I am 36 yrs old so age-wise I feel I have a lot to give to the industry, it is just finding out whats the best startup plan really!? I did pass the aptitude for RAF pilot back at my selection but they wouldn't let me go for it as I was too old at the time (28). DOn't know if that's worth mentioning or has that melted away with time?

More feedback guys, always appreciated! Cheers again.:ok:

MIKECR
7th Sep 2010, 21:19
I think you have to be absolutely sure before committing the time and money. Even if you do things by the cheapest route(modular) its still going to cost a lot(a Lot!!)of money. By the time you've factored in TR costs etc then your probably looking at 50k. Getting the licence is the easy bit....getting the job is the hard bit. At the moment for every job thats available there are literally 1000's after it. Assuming you dont get a job early on then you need to think about keeping current flying wise and the more money that will cost. Even if you do succeed in finding work then chances are you will be on a reduced salary with reduced terms and conditions(such are the schemes out there just now). Can you afford it....particularly if you have a wife and family etc? Im not saying dont do it....but im syaing think very carefuly before taking the leap. I did it as a career change in my early 30's and was probably one of the luckiest people in aviation last year, to find myself an airline job. Im with a good company, with good salary....bonded TR etc. I did however have 2 IR renewals to do.....did an FI rating(8k)....towed gliders..and even dropped parachutists before getting the lucky break. The downside however is that I now live 5 or 6 days a week away from home and family. That is s small sacrifice however.

No Country Members
8th Sep 2010, 14:47
I have been away from the game now for a couple of years as personal circumstances and mortgage take priority.

Without wishing to sound glib, I think you have answered the question yourself, unless your financial circumstances have changed? If they haven't, then assure yourself that you can still pay the mortgage assuming you don't get that dream job - very few do within the time constraints they allow themselves.

Piltdown Man
12th Sep 2010, 16:59
Your past experience can't be erased but you could remove your ability to pay a mortgage with a rash decision. My advice, wait until the desperate morons have run out of money/given up/obtained employment and only then, think about going flying. By waiting you will remain solvent, have a house to live in and probably end up with a job. The prats who are paying for their flying now will either be bankrupt or still in debt when you get into the market. But you should really ask yourself if it is worth spending £60-80K plus 18 months of zero-income just to push a few buttons?

PM

Megaton
12th Sep 2010, 17:46
I've gone down the path from aircraft engineer in the RAF (although I use the word "engineer" in the loosest possible sense) to airline pilot. I achieved the CPL/IR very cheaply and was lucky enough to get a job on turbo-props for a year before moving on to the Airbus with BA.

There is no way I would have, or could have, committed circa £85k for a frozen ATPL. I started mine in '97 with a PPL and finished it with the MCC in '04. I was also fortunate in having a quiet couple of years in which I finished the ATPL exams. Not sure I could have studied for them with a demanding or busy job.

It's all about.........timing. Just as I was leaving the RAF the airlines were starting to recruit again.