PDA

View Full Version : Keeping FAA ATP ticket after converting from TC ATPL

Pin Head
5th Sep 2010, 16:40
Had the assessment, done the medical, studying for the groundexam. All on the fact that I am converting my Canadian ATPL.

If I pass, how do I keep the FAA ATP alive? not intending to keep current my Canadian ATPL but always nice to have. This will be the same for the FAA as well.

Am I required to have a current medical? flight test done every year? I just want just in case.

Thank you

galaxy flyer
5th Sep 2010, 20:26
Yes, you will need the appropriate level FAA medical and maintain FAA recency of experience standards and PPC.

GF

Pin Head
5th Sep 2010, 20:59
and if i do the medical but don't to do the flight test (if there is one) then will totally lose it? Or when I need it I just do the flight test/sim/required number of hours?

MarkerInbound
5th Sep 2010, 21:11
The FAA certificate does not expire. If you look on line, the FAA shows certificates issued in the 1950s with the last medical issued in the 70s.

I had a long rant about how an ATP should know this stuff but then I reread your question. It's all in Part 61. To operate as PIC of a N registered aircraft in the US, you need a current medical, an flight review (or something that counts as one) and you need to be current in the category, class and if a type rating is required, type of aircraft. In fact there is guidance in the FAA handbook that the Inspector should tell you that while you have a FAA certificate in hand walking out the door, you will need to do a flight review with a FAA rated CFI before you operate an aircraft with it.

But if you let the medical expire or go more than 24 months without a FR, nothing happens to the certificate. You just have to get a current medical and a FR before you use the certificate again.

Pin Head
5th Sep 2010, 21:21
marker inbound.

thanks very much - super info. I have a job already on my JAR ticket but want the FAA ticket as it is relatively easy to get as I have the Canadian licence. I will have it just in case. No green ticket so no worries for local jobs.

5LY
6th Sep 2010, 14:18
Keep your training records while you're offshore. TC will allow you to renew your Can. ATPL with just an IR checkride if you can show that you've been flying for an ICAO carrier and doing regular recurrants. Otherwise, it will become invalid 1 year after your IR expires. In other words, 3 years after your last IR checkride, you've lost your ATPL. When you come back (no time limit) you show your records and do a check and you're good.