PDA

View Full Version : Renewal of South African licence in the UK?

Pro1966
5th Sep 2010, 13:48
Hi,

Is it possible to renew the IR on my RSA CPL licence in the UK, without trawling back to RSA? This is so I can complete my 15 hour JAA foreign licence conversion.

Nigel

SA Brit
5th Sep 2010, 16:40
Look here;

South African Licence Training - Courses Bonus Aviation Limited (http://www.bonusaviation.co.uk/courses_sat.html)

South African Licence training
As well as conducting JAR and FAA training, we are pleased to advise that we can also offer licence revalidations for private, instrument, commercial and ATPL to holders of the South African CAA licences.

Type rating endorsements can be arranged for most Single Engine and Multi Engine piston aircraft.

Revalidations for CPL's can take place in conjunction with approved training for conversion to the JAA ATPL.

cavortingcheetah
5th Sep 2010, 16:42
There might be other replies to your query but I think you might find it difficult.
I've only a valid Grade 11 rating on an SA licence but you'll be needing a DE1 examiner I think.
I suppose you'll also need a valid SA medical. That can be done in the UK the last time I investigated but the cost was about half that of a cheap return air ticket to Johannesburg.
Then I suppose you will be needing an aircraft or a simulator. The aircraft might be easier and more acceptable to SA/CAA but I imagine that in the UK it would be a G reg machine and it would presumably need to be something that was either on your DE1's licence or that you were licensed to fly and of course, presumably, one of you would need to be current.
When I used to be in the same position as you are now I used to arrange everything in advance and go south for five days at a time. Considering that a twin Commanche at FAGC rents for about SAR2,490 dual and that you can do a medical renewal across the road from the flying schools there, such might be your cheaper, easier and more enjoyable route. I cannot remember the cost of my last quick Class 1 medical with Dr Ingham but something in the region of SAR600 springs to mind. I reckon you could get down there and back, have an hour's brush up, do the check, get to Waterfall Park and have your licence stamped up for about £1,500 and all in five days total. Is it worth it and could you really do it as easily and as cheaply in the UK? I don't know but I doubt it.
Of course, you could always drop FTS/FAGC an e mail. They could quite likely put you in touch with an SAA pilot who was a DE1 and who would be coming up to the UK from time to time. But whether he would or could do the check is another story and the logistics would be tricky to say the least.
I will be most interested in any responses to your question and I hope this has been of some help.

That's interesting information cross posted with my previous. But I'll let my post stand as an alternative suggestion. Mathew Eschman at SA/CAA would likely be able to give you any update as to requirements that you might want. Here's his telephone number.+27 (0) 11 545 1123 . He is well briefed and a nice guy. He is a very busy man but I have spoken with him on several occasions and much enjoyed his input to an instructor seminar I recently attended in Pretoria. I spend a lot of time in the UK and in other places and he has always been most helpful with inquiries concerning the technicalities of licence renewals from far from the beloved country.

Pro1966
5th Sep 2010, 19:38
Hi,

Very helpful replies.

Will certainly give Bonus Aviation call, the site seems promising, cant be that bloody easy, this is aviation! The RSA route did look into a year ago when had completed ATPLs but circumstances changed. I can do the renewal on the C208 sim (have C208 rating) with Simuflight at Grand Central. Costs for all works out around the £1500 figure too. I do have a multi on my SA CPL but can do an IR renewal on a single, fine with UK CAA. Will keep posted.

Thanks Nigel

cavortingcheetah
5th Sep 2010, 20:26
Thanks for the offer of posting! It's always very useful to squirrel away good ideas for later use.
I can't quite see though how Bonus are going to be able to do anything other than issue you with a completed flight test form. This form as I remember, but probably incorrectly, has to be submitted to SA/CAA together with medical (as applicable) and with licence for IR endorsement and logbook for verification, within a certain period from the date of the flight test. I think it's thirty days but that's not difficult to find out. But of course you don't have to submit the stuff in person.

Pro1966
6th Sep 2010, 11:56
Hi,

Yes you are right, it is 30 days as I know to well. Was flying in Namibia and had posted a renewal form, never to be seen again! Copies of logbook were fine, thank god!! Then with been busy forgot about the dam thing. As was flying a ZS C208, then had to get myself to RSA, hire a C208 incl.examiner and renew again, at my cost! what a game!! The idea of leaving it all with someone else gives me the shivers!

Will see what Bonus say. Presently also getting Simuflight to quote and Windhoek Flight Training Centre in Namibia on a C172 or the cheapest ship to fly an IFR test.

Nigel

cavortingcheetah
7th Sep 2010, 14:06
What a performance!
That's more or less why I just disappeared down south for a few days every now and then. Land at FAJS, drive straight to medical then FALA for a brush up. Next morning came the flight tests although it's a little different now. Nowadays you can't renew the ATPL and the Instructor rating within the same flight test. Following morning to DCA/CAA in Pretoria/Halfway House for licence renewal and that evening back to the UK. It was quite hard work and really grim if one had bought a series of earlies starting the morning after arrival. Please keep the site posted as to Bonus, that would be great.

Pro1966
9th Sep 2010, 19:30
Hi,

Interesting! This is an extract out of Lasors and I can verify SECTION E, THE INSTRUMENT RATING (AEROPLANE).

Conversion Requirements
These arrangements will provide a route to a JAR-FCL IR(A) qualification for the following holders of a current and valid* IR issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1.

ICAO IR(A) holder to JAR-FCL IR(A)

The holder of an ICAO IR(A)/(H) or JAR-IR(H) that is not current and valid will be required to attend an approved FTO and complete a modular course of IR(A) flying training. If during the course the Head of Training is prepared to state in writing that completion of the FULL course is unwarranted and recommends a reduction, PLD will give the recommendation consideration.

Bonus say, for me to start the IR training with them and when ready for the Head of Training (who is a CAA IR renewal examiner) to do an assessment flight. If all fine, they write to the CAA and recommend a course reduction.

Reduction to what? surely they can drag it out!I do hope this is good gen as I am starting to see an upturn in the market place as i do get to speak to alot of crews and could well move on now (funds depending!) from marshalling and baggage!!