PDA

View Full Version : HK general aviation scene

RedKnight
5th Sep 2010, 13:15
Hello,

I earned my JAR-FCL PPL a number of months ago in the UK, and have recently moved to HK to pursue a career (unrelated to aviation). I am looking to further my aviation interests out here and convert my foreign license to a locally-registered one. As such, I have a number of questions:

1) Could anyone please provide some advice/commentary on the general aviation scene out here? How big is it, and how supportive are the authorities of it?

2) I understand that the HKAC has a monopoly over private aviation training and flying out of Shek Kong. If anyone here is a member of the HKAC, could you please comment on it (e.g. facilities, aircraft, training programmes, community, etc)? Are there any other organisations I should look into joining, e.g. GAPAN HK?

3) If anyone has gone through the process of converting their foreign PPL to a local one, how was the process? How tough is the certification/licensing regime out here?

Any other tips or comments would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

Ex Cathedra
6th Sep 2010, 04:12
There have been a few thread about that some time ago. Do a search.

But from what I can remember from them, the HKAC is ludicrously expensive, populated with rich HK business types who, for some strange reason, preferred that to a membership at the local flashy golf course, and all you can do are visual patterns in the cosmically vast airspace that is the new territories, in <2 miles vis, and only during the weekend...

General advice was to go to Thailand or the Philipines and find a good cheap club there.

And why do you want to get a HK PPL, unless you're going to work for a local operator, in which case they'd get your license converted for you anyway?

RedKnight
6th Sep 2010, 14:40
You're right, it does seem exceptionally costly. C152s can be hired for just under HK$2,200, and C172s for about HK$2,400. That's £180 and £200 respectively - FAR more expensive that what you'd even pay to hire in one of the airfields in greater London. Airspace seems very limited and flying activity seems constrained by the Chinese PLA's military operations.

But to answer your question, I need to get my license converted because I don't envision returning to the UK, short of a quick holiday, for at least another 5+ years. What would you therefore suggest I do to keep my PPL active/valid?

Ex Cathedra
6th Sep 2010, 14:53
You're forgetting the membership initial and monthly fees, to the tune of 30k+ and 1300 a month respectively, or abouts, before you even get close to an aircraft...

For that kind of money, you can easily jump on a low cost to Thailand or the Philippines twice a month and keep the old hand steady over there. Plus they have good weather, cheap girls and nice beer (or the other way around?). I have heard there are quaint and cheap flying clubs there, but to be honest I don't know anything about them so I'm afraid my dubious help ends here.

But some internet research should get you on the way.
Good luck and happy flying!

Dragon69
6th Sep 2010, 15:26
Don't waste your time with the HKAC, they are the most unwelcoming flying club you will ever come across. Try the Thai Flying Club,
THAI FLYING CLUB - General Aviation and Sport Flying in Thailand - AOPA THAILAND (http://www.thaiflyingclub.com/)

chris keeping
6th Sep 2010, 17:36
I was a member of the Hong Kong Aviation club for 30 years, and what an excellent establishment it was, thoroughly professional and very friendly, but those were the Kai Tak days. One of the reasons for the cost of flying now is that the club has to import avgas themselves from Singapore, during the Kai Tak era were able to get our fuel from another operator at Kai Tak which reduced expenses. Whilst I am no longer a member of the club I believe that standards are still high. The DCFI is a current Cathay captain. A lot of people I know who are PPL holders, or pursuing a PPL fly at "Omni Aviation" based at Clarke in the Philippines where costs are significantly cheaper. If you PM me I can put you in touch with a couple. "Omni Aviation" is on the web if you are interested.

RedKnight
7th Sep 2010, 12:39
Thanks for the comments. Given that I am a JAA PPL holder on long-term employment in HK, how do you suggest I maintain my license? Should I even bother converting my license into a HK license - what are the pros and cons of this?

jonathon68
7th Sep 2010, 12:46
It is probably better to save your money and time off, to go elsewhere in Asia whenever you have the time.

Its cheap and easy to get to Clarke, (direct on Cebu Pacific) and you are right there at a busy GA field. The only problem would be the hangover every morning, after a big night out on Fields Avenue the night before. :yuk:

I flew with someone a number of years ago, who was happily flying light aircraft in Cebu. Again, the GA area is just across the field from the Terminal, and I think there are 2 Operators there (schools/clubs/air taxi etc).

Thailand has the advantage of no Typhoons to disrupt plans. But there is probably a greater risk of getting side tracked with the bar girls, to get much flying done. :O

Enjoy!

RedKnight
7th Sep 2010, 12:57
Cheers mate.

1) What are the pros and cons of converting my JAA PPL to a local license, whether it be a HK/Thai/Filipino license?

2) Are there any logistical issues with me continuing to maintain a JAA PPL despite not being based in the UK (or anywhere near Europe for that matter)?

3) Would it be at all possible to obtain further ratings for my JAA PPL here in HK (or in the Philippines/Thailand), e.g. a night rating or IR? What kind of training are the FBOs out here able to provide to JAA pilots?

Runway101
8th Sep 2010, 03:00
As far as I know, all you can do in HK is to write to the HKCAD and request a license conversion. They will then write back to you which tests you have to take (I believe you have to take 3 out of 5 tests, and a flight test/checkride, and they give you a year to do that). Send the HKCAD a friendly email and explain what you want and they will tell you what you have to do and what documents to include (medical, log book, license copy, etc).

If you want to convert your license to a HK license, the HKAC is unfortunately the only place to go. And they will probably not let you play if you don't become a paying member. But in any case, that all won't be of any use to you for your JAA ticket. They only reason why you would want to do that is if you want to fly in HK. Then the HKAC is your only option.

Note that a few years ago you could fly with your foreign license, but the HKCAD stopped that in 2008 or so and gave all pilots a year to convert their licenses. Not sure if this was ever enforced or not but its 2010 now so I guess they had to (especially after the R22 hitting the bus at Kai Tak I guess they had to clean up).

Be prepared for another cultural shock if you go the HKAC route.

You might just want to forget about your JAA ticket for a while and get it current again after you are back home in 5 years. Or just do your flying once per year in the UK, much cheaper, safer and more organized than HK.

If you want to get IR and other stuff, you could also go to the USA once or twice per year for an extended holiday, and get on board the FAA system.

RedKnight
8th Sep 2010, 15:03
Are there any FBOs in south-east Asia that are recognised by the JAA and are thus authorised to train, examine and certify pilots?

On another note, HK isn't exactly enjoying the best weather as I type this...

VHHH 081445Z 24012KT 9999 4700N VCTS SCT012CB SCT040 BKN100 31/28 Q1005 TEMPO VRB20G30KT 1500 TSRA +SHRA FEW008 SCT012CB BKN050