PDA

View Full Version : A Word of Advice - Windows 7 vagaries

TheShadow
5th Sep 2010, 11:54
If you're driven to distraction by Windows 7 pecadillos that seem to defy resolution, my advice would be to double-check that you have the latest chipset and bios update for your machine.

I suspect that Windows 7 updates are introducing faults that can only be resolved by updating the bios..... which isn't promulgated with the same openness that Windows updates are.

This has been my experience over a few recent issues anyway. Latest was the case of the disengaging mouse (Dell laptop Vostro 3500).

jimtherev
5th Sep 2010, 14:03
the case of the disengaging mouse
A case for Poirot, surely.
Sorry, back to TRABB

Loose rivets
5th Sep 2010, 16:01
Did you put W7 on?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/walnaze/PpruNe/OooaMouse.jpg

Sorry, 'twas in the Bucket anyway.

planecrazy.eu
7th Sep 2010, 08:52
I have the Vostro 3700 with W7 Pro (32) and have had no issues at all with anything.

Only mouse problem I have come upon is the gesture support that drives me crazy, keep zooming in on things and scrolling.

Dell support is great (my experience) so give them a try, sure they can help resolve pretty quick.

Since purchase, i'v not had any updates or prompts for Chipset or BIOS, both are upto date, and I have double checked on the dell site, so maybe make sure you;ve the right ones, which I am sure you do? Some come in X86 and X64, maybe make sure you've got the right one for the right version of windows you have?

Ancient Observer
8th Sep 2010, 13:54
A bit off-thread, but I am gobsmacked that anyone can put the word great in the same sentence as Dell support. Dell from Hell works much better in my experience.