PDA

View Full Version : Part 142 Faa

Pulkdahulk
4th Sep 2010, 19:11
Hey guys,

I need some help here. I have just started filling out all the paperwork required by DGCA and I have done my flight training under Part 142 Regulations which means till my CPL Multi Engine Check ride -

1) I have 23.4 hours of solo time, in which 16 hours of cross country time solo instead of 50 hours of cross country time solo

2) I have never done the 250 NM Cross Country with my Instructor for General Flying Test by day, the only one time i went was for Single Engine Instrument Rating and we did cover a total of 283 NM cross country and it was a normal flight

3) We never had time building in the 142 Regs, which mean during the entire course of instrument rating, the rating did not had any solo requirements. It only had in private and commercial single engine.

4) I did private single engine, private IR Single engine, Commercial Single Engine and Commercial ME IR and then CFI, CFII, MEI and now am instructing

5) During Instructing, I have gone on these DGCA Cross Country flights and done these 100NM, 250 NM, stuff like that but these are after my CPL Check ride.

My issues are - there are 2 papers they (D.G.C.A) wants

- Certificate of 120 NM X-Ctry Flying test by night
- Certificate of 250 NM X-Ctry Flying test by day

As mentioned above, the 283 NM Cross Country I did was 2.0 during day and 3.1 during night and we shot 3 IR approaches.

Now what is the solution -

Can we say 120 NM total trip although we know its 120 NM Straight one leg but under FAA 142 Regs, we never had 120 NM straight leg during our private

I had done a flight in the Piper Arrow which was KDAB -KFPR which a straight leg would be 107 NM at Night ?

My situation is I do not come from a flight school, its a university and a strict one - Embry-Riddle :sad:

babboo57
4th Sep 2010, 20:46
@pulkdahulk,

you can do all the dgca requirements even after the issue of your faa cpl.
infact 250 nm and 150 nm fall within the 6 month recency requirement.
so if u are ready with all the dgca papers, rt etc cleared, this is the time to do
it. go thru the dgca sections A J L O of schedule II thoroughly. whatever,
has been missed out can be done even now. get all the necessary certificates giving all the details regarding your 100 hr PIC flights, 50 hrs
x-countries (100 nm ), 50 hrs instrument flights etc. am a bit rusty on the
requirements- had done mine some years ago :p

Pulkdahulk
4th Sep 2010, 20:57
Hey thats a good answer - I like it

Quick Question - I did some of those 250 NM and 120 NM for recency kids who came down as I was the Instructor for them in both single and multi -

and we as instructors are giving dual given to the students, so in Indian DGCA am logging PIC

so in other words I can go back to the place where I did their recency and get a document saying from the Chief Pilot that I was the PIC of that flight - is that right?

But very good answer again. Solves most of it now

Pulkdahulk
4th Sep 2010, 21:01
And Quick Question -

50 Hours of Cross Countries PIC - i may have flown from 3 different schools (some as a student, some as an instructor) - do i get three seperate documents that adds up to more than 50 or should it be done in one paper itself.

My Solo time in cross country will probably be 16 and I have 51 hours of Cross country time as an instructor which means dual given - so can i log those 51 hours into the PIC slot as someone told me " acc.to dgca - if no dual received, its PIC"

Dual given is PIC -

babboo57
4th Sep 2010, 21:21
regarding the 250 & 120 nm sorties - these r supposed to be skill tests. so
you will need to show an instructor by your side.

about your hrs as instructor being shown as PIC - i have no clue ! during my
time, no-one was taking the instructor route.

jimmygill
4th Sep 2010, 22:15
How exactly does Part 142 work, say for example for PPL?

Pulkdahulk
5th Sep 2010, 00:37
Embry comes under 142 which means atleast a minimum of 100 hours must be done in a level 6 FTD and candidates for cpl minimum requirement is 190 hours, not 250.

For an airplane single engine rating:

If you are applying for a commercial pilot certificate with an airplane category and single engine class rating, you must log at least 250 hours of flight time as a pilot (of which 50 hours, or in accordance with FAA Part 142, a maximum of 100 hours may have been accomplished in an approved flight simulator or approved flight training device that represents a single engine airplane) that consists of at least:

100 hours in powered aircraft, of which 50 hours must be in airplanes.
100 hours of pilot in command flight time, which includes at least 50 hours in airplanes and 50 hours in cross-country flight in airplanes.

20 hours of training on the areas of operation as listed for this rating, that includes at least 10 hours of instrument training, of which at least 5 hours must be in a single engine airplane, 10 hours of training in an airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller, or is turbine-powered, one cross- country flight of at least 2 hours in a single engine airplane in day VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure, one cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a single engine airplane in night VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure.

10 hours of solo flight in a single engine airplane, including one cross-country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total distance and as specified, and 5 hours in night VFR conditions with 10 takeoffs and 10 landings (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport with an operating control tower.

For an airplane multi engine rating:

If you are applying for a commercial pilot certificate with an airplane category and multi engine class rating, you must log at least 250 hours of flight time as a pilot (of which 50 hours, or in accordance with FAA Part 142, a maximum of 100 hours may have been accomplished in an approved flight simulator or approved flight training device that represents a multi engine airplane) that consists of at least:

100 hours in powered aircraft, of which 50 hours must be in airplanes.
100 hours of pilot in command flight time, which includes at least 50 hours in airplanes, and 50 hours in cross-country flight in airplanes.

20 hours of training on the areas of operation as listed for this rating, that includes at least 10 hours of instrument training of which at least 5 hours must be in a multi engine airplane, 10 hours of training in a multi engine airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and controllable pitch propellers, or is turbine-powered, one cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a multi engine airplane in day VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure, one cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a multi engine airplane in night VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure.
10 hours of flight time performing the duties of a pilot in command in a multi engine airplane with an authorized instructor on the areas of operation as listed for this rating, which includes at least one cross-country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total distance and as specified, and 5 hours in night VFR conditions with 10 takeoffs and 10 landings (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport with an operating control tower.

Pulkdahulk
5th Sep 2010, 00:45
As one of my friend gave me this :

18. Certificate of 100Nm Cross-Country flights flown as PIC – in original
19. Certificate of 100Nm Cross-Country Flying Test by Day – in original
20. Certificate of 120Nm Cross-Country Flying Test by Night – in original
21. Certificate of 10 take offs and landings to a Full Stop by night as PIC – in original
22. Certificate of 250Nm Cross-Country Flying Test by Day – in original
23. Certificate of 300Nm Cross-Country as PIC – in original

At Embry, we have done 100 NM cross country for day and night as mentioned in one cross- country flight of at least 2 hours in a single engine airplane in day VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure, one cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a single engine airplane in night VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure.

And because we have only 2.2 hours of flight block time, we never did the 120nm cross country by night. I started flying my private in 2005 when no one heard of becoming a pilot media fanatic demand and so i was unaware of these DGCA Regs. Now the problem has arisen

But has Babboo had mentioned, it could be done when i instructed as a CFI to a recency student. I have seen kids with some format which everyone cuts copy paste and in that format, in the Word Document, it asks who your Flight instructor was and who is the pilot under check - now what do I write ?

And these are all after my CPL Check ride - so either I go up with an Instructor and do it over again or use this place where I put - " I am the pilot under check and I am the Instructor and it be signed by my Chief Pilot"

Am Confused.

jimmygill
5th Sep 2010, 01:29

As per Aircraft Rules 1937, A cross country is defined as a flight landing beyond 100 NM radius from point of origin.

In order to get an IR one will need at least 50 hrs PIC on such 100 NM cross country flights...

Thats the law... but I have seen a majority of applicants logging even 50NM cross country and claiming it to be 100NM as the aircraft returned to home base..
Even though legally incorrect but not much of issue at DGCA...

So you will need a List of Cross Country Flights >100NM ad PIC and totaling more than 50 hrs.

19. Certificate of 100Nm Cross-Country Flying Test by Day – in original

There is no such requirement.

20. Certificate of 120Nm Cross-Country Flying Test by Night – in original

This one in fact is a 60 NM cross country flight, landing at destination is not mandatory, but if you land it is still considered valid.
This too is a test. You will need a CFI. and Can be finished in < 1.5 hrs.. very well within the 2.2 hours block..

21. Certificate of 10 take offs and landings to a Full Stop by night as PIC – in original

Self Explanatory

22. Certificate of 250Nm Cross-Country Flying Test by Day – in original
Cross country flight test, by day, no IFR, no night time with CFI and Test Report

23. Certificate of 300Nm Cross-Country as PIC – in original

I would assume that Embry Riddle would have got a FAA waiver on the 300 NM SOLO flight as required by Part 61 for CPL Airplane.

I am surprised why would Embry Riddle even try to get a waiver on this requirement.

The FAA PArt 61 requirements reads..

At least 10 hrs of solo flight in airplane to include
(i) One cross-country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total distance, with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point. However, if this requirement is being met in Hawaii, the longest segment need only have a straight-line distance of at least 150 nautical miles; and

The FAA PArt 141 requirements reads..
(2) One [solo] cross-country flight, if the training is being performed in a State other than Hawaii, with landings at a minimum of three points, and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles; and

I think if you search your logbook you will find one such flight.

I am not familiar with Part 142, and thanks for what you wrote about that part.

Pulkdahulk
5th Sep 2010, 05:45
Wow....you are brilliant in these - and thanks for the PM.

Yup, there was one solo cross country which i did in 2008 and it was 6.1, a flight from Daytona Beach to Marathon - 267nm one straight leg. That was the furthest south we could go on approved airports and an easy one.
(oh okay, its 300nm total, i thought it was one leg 300nm. Then yes that marathon flight we did meets that requirements)

Thank god there is no 100nm. I was like staring at this d.g.c.a document and staring at my friend's recency documents and I am like where am I ...lol

The ME IR checks was done on Part 61 as I had to come out of Embry's Training to do the BE-76 as Seminole or either the DA 42 were not accepted during those days. It was an add on and so no cross country requirements and no night time was done on the BE-76 and there was no simulator in that academy so all 26 hrs in the plane

Check ride was done on Nov 2008. Since then I did my MEI check ride also and we did not had to do Instrument approaches as I had CFI and CFII. Last MEI Checkride was done on May 10 2010.

Last BE- 76 flight, involved a cross country and these were the flights that I had gone on Recency Flights for a couple of Indian Kids involved around 12hr 54 mins of flying in 3-4 days. Single Engine last flights was a long cross country Ferry flight which was from San Antonio, TX to New Smyrna Beach, FL probably around 13 hrs Instrument flying. A lot of Actual IFR Time on June 22nd 2010 and since then I was in India for those exams July Attempt...

So as i am looking at the form for conversion - in the multi section for within 6 months, I have no idea how cpl students in the past have logged that as 3 T/O and 3 Landings Solo...no one really gives a BE-76 or any multi plane for solo around this area...pretty strange rule.

As an instructor yeaa...I could end up doing it right at dusk to night to log those 6 landings day and Night - (DGCA night rules or FAA night rules) which one? and when could I log night time for landings

I could go do one flight and finish those two multi engine recency 6 months requirements to be on the safe side with another instructor.

babboo57
5th Sep 2010, 07:22
the 3 t/os and landings in ME were shown during the checkride itself- checkride
being allowed to be shown as solo. i remember the checkride form/certificate itself
gave the necessary details - certified by the examiner.