PDA

View Full Version : "New posts" button misses the target

Keef
4th Sep 2010, 14:27
Being more of a browser than an in-depth reader, I use the little downward-pointing arrow to take me to the next post in threads I'm following. The same process works well on other fora - but not here. Here, it will somertimes completely miss a day or so of posts, and take me to a place a fair way further down a thread than I'd read thus far.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there a setting somewhere in my profile that I've got wrong?

Loose rivets
4th Sep 2010, 14:36
You mean the 4 keyb buttons in inverted T formation?

If so, mine rapid fire and scroll the page painfully slowly, one press gets almost nowhere.

Are you not using a mouse with a scroll wheel?

Keef
4th Sep 2010, 14:42
No, I mean the little blue V in front of the thread topic in the forum list if there are new posts in that thread. I thought it's supposed to take you to the next unread post, but in my case it doesn't.

I use the mouse for most navigation.

jimtherev
4th Sep 2010, 14:55
Same here, Keef; Sometimes it works like a dream, sometimes it's a nightmare... I think 'was I asleep and missed two-days' worth?' - but no, it's the software again.

Keef
4th Sep 2010, 14:57
Glad it's not just me, Jim!

To avoid confusion about which button:

http://jillings.org/prunebutton.jpg

BOAC
4th Sep 2010, 15:11
Never used that on e- I always use the (same) one to the right of your user-name 'Keef'

vulcanised
4th Sep 2010, 16:52
Shirley, the one to the right of the user name just takes you to their post which is the last in the thread, regardless of what you've read before.

mad_jock
4th Sep 2010, 23:10
There are quite a few scripts which run off pprune one of them deals with what you have read and where it takes you when you next read the thread.

If you have blocked scripts it doesn't work quite right. If you go in to your script blocker you can allow certain scripts if you allow the pprune ones everything works again. Been there myself and thats how I fixed it.

Keef
5th Sep 2010, 11:54
I hadn't thought of that, MJ. NoScript tells me there are 8 * scripts running on this forum. Two are "blocked as dangerous", four are "not allowed", and two are "permitted".

If I have to accept "dangerous" links to have correct links to unread posts, I'll put up with things as they are.

Do you remember which one it was that drives the "unread"?

* Ooops! Just increased to ten.

mad_jock
5th Sep 2010, 17:29
I think it was fairly obvious which ones it was by the names of them.

Maybe our lord and master moderator can get the tech support folk to tell him what the scripts do.

Thinking about it its proberly a blocked one because it will be recording which threads you have been looking at and which post numbers you have got up to. Then when you next come onto the site it will be sending that information so the the board can create your own forum page with your previous history.

A general script with that behaviour is dodgy as hell.