PDA

View Full Version : Airwork & St Athan

KeMac
4th Sep 2010, 01:03
I have been searching for a thread about the troubled Contract that Airwork had with Tornados at St Athan. I have tried the search facility without luck. I was wondering if anyone recalls it a year or two back. I am beginning to wonder if it was on another forum. Can anyone help please?

Old-Duffer
4th Sep 2010, 16:18
In about 1995/6, it became necessary to put a new centre section in Tornado F3s. This work was let to a contractor and it is alleged that the work was performed to a poor standard, with lax quality management and supervision.

The contract was scrubbed and taken 'in house' iirc. Part of the solution was to break up the two dozen or so Tornado F2s which had been procured as an interim and to use their 'centre box' as a transplant donor.

I was not involved directly in this but there was penty of coverage in the Torygraph and I suspect you will find references to the press coverage in the Times Archive. There might even be reference to it in a PAC investigation and you could always make an FoI request.

bvcu
4th Sep 2010, 17:24
think you'll find it was a rework for a fatigue extension , that due to the poor workmanship resulted in centre-section removals and reworks where repaireable , those that werent were replaced with ex F2 items. Cant remember the thread on here though. Interesting to know how much money it was planned to save by contracting the work out vs doing it in house , and what the end cost was !

Old-Duffer
5th Sep 2010, 05:09
Yes, BVCU, your recollection is more accurate than mine - I defer!!

O-D

KeMac
5th Sep 2010, 09:20
Many thanks for the replies. I don't know where I saw the thread but there were a couple of reponses from people who had worked on the contract. I will have to do a bit more digging I think.
Thanks again
KeMac