PDA

View Full Version : Ebay purchase question.

Al R
3rd Sep 2010, 21:00
I have just bought decent spec desktop from a very credible seller.

It was delivered today with XP Pro loaded.

However, the thing won't load. I get two options on a black screen; one says 'Press F1 to retry boot' (the problem recycles) and the other says 'Press F2 for setup utility'.

How do I get into the Windows home page, or what do I have to do to the setup utility page if the solution lies in there?

Thanks in advance for any help! :ok:

Bruce Wayne
3rd Sep 2010, 21:11
ram modules might not be seated properly. or if you have an xp disc pop it in the drive

BOAC
3rd Sep 2010, 21:17
....and if you press F2?

Al R
3rd Sep 2010, 21:17
Cheers Bruce. I'll look for an old XP disc - what are the RAM modules?

green granite
3rd Sep 2010, 21:19
Not just the ram modules, re-seat all pluggable items and leads as any of them could have worked loose during transit.

Al R
3rd Sep 2010, 21:20
BOAC,

I get a long list of options about various operating aspects. Pretty much gobbledygook to my untrained eye.

Bruce,

Disc inserted - no change.

green granite
3rd Sep 2010, 21:22
what are the RAM modules

Oh dear, I strongly advise you to read the manual before you go ant further.

Coconutty
3rd Sep 2010, 21:35

Err - actually - it appears that you haven't ! :\

If the "respectable seller" can't help, then try posting the make, model and spec here.
This may help those in the know to provide you with further ideas on how to diagnose the problem(s).

RAM modules are the memory chips installed in slots inside the computer.
They are (usually) upgradable items to give more memory (subject to limits),
but if not seated correctly into their mounting slots, thay can cause all sorts of weird and wonderful problems, as can faulty memory modules.

I get a long list of options about various operating aspects.

It would probably help if you were to post the details from that long list,
as it may hold clues to your problem....

Have you tried pressing the "F8" key on your keyboad during boot up ?
( Press the key repeatedly until something happens ! ).

This might get your computer to start up in "Safe Mode" - Where only a limited set of device drivers are loaded,
and can then help in moving on to determine where your problem lies.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconutty.jpg

vulcanised
3rd Sep 2010, 21:37
I strongly advise you to read the manual

Assuming the manual isn't just on the HD!

Al R
3rd Sep 2010, 21:44
There is a gap at the back, where you normally get a blanking plate. The thing was s old with <<1GB (1024MB) RAM memory - (upgradeable to 2GB)>>.

I have reloaded the XP disc I have and I have got so, and now see a screen which tells me that

"setup must write some startup files to the following disk:

8057 MB Disc at Id0 on atapi [MBR].

hOWEVER, THIS DISC DOES NOT CONTAIN A wINDOWS xp COMPATIBLE PARTITION"

It tells me what to do, which I do, and then I get nowhere.

The setup options are basic ones, such as time clock, and most do not allow me to edit the options anyway.

Its a
<<Dell GX270 SFF Tower Computer Desktop PC P4 2.8Ghz 1GB>>

Cheers! :ok:

Chainkicker
3rd Sep 2010, 21:47
Al, I would check the SATA cable from the motherboard to the hard drive first. They're a bitch for coming loose at either end unless they have some form of locking clip on them (some cables have them, some dont):ugh:

Eh? Just seen your latest post Al. You appear to have been fobbed off with a somewhat older computer than you probably expected there matey. I dont think Dell have pushed anything out with a P4 cpu for at least a couple of years. Was it sold to you as new?

Al R
3rd Sep 2010, 21:58
Hi Kicker,

No, it was sold second hand - but 'tested'. Mmmm.

The packing wa sfaultless, so it seems a switched on outfit at least. Might just be a dodgy one.

Loose rivets
4th Sep 2010, 03:20
So, what about the missing blanking plate?

Parapunter
4th Sep 2010, 06:54
The blanking plate would suggest there has been a card in there which is no longer in there.

First steps Al - unplug the power cable from the rear of the pc. Undo the side cover to expose the innards - it should just be two screws. Once it's open, take a minute to see what's inside, it should look like this.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2lua0b9.jpg

Don't be daunted by it, note that there are various components that are plugged in like lego to the motherboard - touch the ground to earth yourself and check that these are seated correctly by pressing down on them gently and while you're at it, check that the cables connecting components, especially between the hard drive whcih is the size of a small paperback and the motherboard is sound.

Don't listen to the smart arses - not everyone knows about pc's but there are those who think everyone should!

Gertrude the Wombat
4th Sep 2010, 08:17
Sounds to me like you've bought some non-working crap from a scam artist.

Send it back, no question.

BOAC
4th Sep 2010, 09:02
Al R - I actually think that despite all the expert advice you will get here, this is going to be very long-winded and difficult to sort out via posts on a forum. I would suggest you find someone with a little knowledge of the gubbins inside a PC and Windows and ask them to have a look. If you wish to learn more about the 'gobbledygook' this download PDF (NB may not be for your model) will give you some insight.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CCsQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsupport.dell.com%2Fsupport%2Fedocs%2Fsystem s%2Fspe350%2Fen%2Fug%2F1D751c30.pdf&rct=j&q=dell%20f2%20setup%20utility&ei=vQaCTLOiHdO7jAe-06WOCA&usg=AFQjCNE2-T3l0Z6swjddZEVQ-3k6A2JS0w&sig2=PRxLoOMJyb59ZFYlk76m2A&cad=rja

Al R
4th Sep 2010, 09:56
Thanks to one and all - I would look inside, but I'm loathe to do anything that might allow the seller to absolve himself of responsibility by allowing him to say that I have caused the problem by meddling.

'He' is a volume seller with a great feedback reputation so I've messaged him and asked him for a response, assuming that he won't want any overt negative comments about a potentially, trivial problem. Its annoying because I had work I wanted to do with it today, but I'll let you know what the outcome is.

Once again, many thanks.

Al.

A A Gruntpuddock
4th Sep 2010, 10:06
A lot of Dell computers were sold to large companies and so forth, last time I worked for the Cooncil they had nothing else.

They had the computers set up in networks with all major programs on a separate server and the computers only had enough software to boot into the network. All data was stored on the servers so individual units only needed small disks.

Looks as if you might have to install your own operating system.

Did the seller say that an operating system was included?

Just an other number
4th Sep 2010, 10:12
Let's have a link to the ebay listing so we can see what you were offered.