PDA

View Full Version : National anthems

Tankertrashnav
3rd Sep 2010, 21:05
I see the French national football coach has ordered his team to learn the words of La Marseillaise and to sing it together before each international.

Do you sing your national anthem with pride or are you a bit embarrassed by it? Does the sight of F1 drivers chatting on the podium and waving to friends in the crowd when their anthem is being played annoy you, or don't you mind? Are you ashamed if half of your national team can't or won't join in with the singing before a match?

I have to confess as a Brit that our own national anthem leaves a lot to be desired - the tune is a dirge, and as an American friend asked me recently - why does the Queen need saving? Nevertheless I'll sing it with pride when the occasion demands. I'm envious of a lot of foreign anthems, incuding the French, American and Russian ones which all have great tunes, so how about a new one for us - and do the English need their own, rather than a British one. Actually I am half Scottish and I'd like this to go on record - I loathe Flower of Scotland!

Parapunter
3rd Sep 2010, 21:09
The Archers theme gets suggested regularly. Can you imagine?

Personally, I would go for I wanna be adored. Proper Manchester tune that is, at just the correct tempo. I don't have to sell my soul, he's already in me...:cool:

vulcanised
3rd Sep 2010, 21:15
Does it have to be a song?

That tune they play on the World Service (can't think of its name for the life of me) would do rather nicely and it could be hummed or whistled if desired.

Whirlygig
3rd Sep 2010, 21:24
That tune they play on the World Service (can't think of its name for the life of me)Lillibulero ... the tune is English but the words are Irish; lillibulero being an English bastardisation of the Gaelic for "Lillies of the Field".

Agree with Tanks ... our own National Anthem is a dirge but I would add, as a musical piece, it is also a trite tune. The English need their own Anthem; how about "Jerusalem" and "I Vow To Thee My Country" as the British replacement.

But, much I think "God Save the Queen" is a sub-standard Grade 1 recorder tune, it is still my National Anthem and I'll sing it with pride. As should all our sportsmen as well.

Cheers

Whirls

The SSK
3rd Sep 2010, 21:32
I'm just glad I'm not from Massachusetts.

"Blue Hills of Massachusetts"
Official Poem of the Commonwealth
(by Katherine E. Mullen of Barre)

Massachusetts! Massachusetts!
Lovely Bay State by the sea,
Chosen by the Pilgrim Fathers
In their search for liberty.

How we love your Indian name!
Meaning "Great Blue Hill" in Boston,
Named before the white men came.

High locations in the distance,
Are serene, majestic blue,
Like Mount Greylock or Wachusett,
They are fascinating, too.

But from Boston to the Berkshires,
Lesser heights are bathed in blue,
In early dawn or distance,
Like the "Great Hill" Indians knew.

Close to Nature lived the Red Man,
Keen to every form and hue,
Knew the paths, and streams, and wildlife,
And the hills around him, too.

On the wide base of "Great Blue Hill",
Lived the Massachuset tribe,
Kept their Great Chief's Pilgrim Treaty
While the good man was alive.

Made in faith with Governor Carter,
Sixteen hundred twenty-one,
Kept for forty years, sincerely,
Till his death in sixty-one!

Massachusetts Seal and State Flag
Show the Chief in deerskin brown,
Proudly holding firm his strong-bow,
And one arrow, pointing down.

"Coat of Arms" of Massachusetts,
With our State Star just above,
Tribute to a noble Indian,
Loyal history that we love!

Gentle hillsides and green valleys,
Make our lives so pleasant here,
While the ever-changing seasons
Bring glad contrasts through the year.

Autumn foliage is so brilliant
It is known throughout the world!
Crimson, gold, and blazing orange
In exultant praise unfurled.

But by Christmas time in winter,
There's a wonderland of snow!
Everywhere, a lovely picture
Anywhere that we might go.

And the vigor of the climate
With the challenges we meet,
Make our lives in Massachusetts,
A delightful bitter-sweet!

What a splendid history!
Like our great and glorious Nation,
In its strength for Liberty!

Keep the faith true pride instills!
May our trust in you be steadfast,
As the everlasting hills!

The SSK
3rd Sep 2010, 21:37
Does it have to be a song?

That tune they play on the World Service (can't think of its name for the life of me) would do rather nicely and it could be hummed or whistled if desired.

Isn't that 'There was an old woman tossed up in a basket'? Stirring sentiments.

spInY nORmAn
3rd Sep 2010, 21:40
"Excuse me!" *nudge* "Coming through!" *push* Gotta get on this bandwagon...

Tanker - I was raised in Scotland (but admittedly moved away once I reached adulthood) and frankly, I think that "Flower of Scotland" is a miserable dirge! AAaaarrrgghhhh! Just the thought of it makes me queasy. Even worse are the numpties that want to make it Scotland's official anthem. Give me "Scotland the Brave" anyday - at least you can dance to it (danceable anthems - what a novel idea!).

Rossian
3rd Sep 2010, 21:50
...speaking as a wholly Scots Scotsman I think that Flower of Scotland is an abomination that should be banished to the seventh level of Hell. It induces a gibbering fury in me every time I hear it.
Mind you most national anthems seem to be of of the pretentious/portentious variety. I agree with the earlier poster who went for La Marseillaise, it's got a bit of get-up-and-go about it.

The Ancient Mariner

Or the Radetsky March at a push; it ticks an earlier box in that it's danceable and it's a cracking tune to march to

sitigeltfel
3rd Sep 2010, 21:54
i9nnnM-__JQ

tony draper
3rd Sep 2010, 22:00
I strongly object to the odious pork barreling EU swine in Brussels hijacking the glorious Ode to Joy to represent their filthy organisation.
:suspect:

mr fish
3rd Sep 2010, 22:04
i've always thought the spanish national anthem to be "quite good"

mind you, being a bike gp fan (125, moto2 AND motogp) means i've heard it played a little more often this year!!!

Capt Claret
3rd Sep 2010, 22:04
It's hard to be excited when one's national anthem is the funereal dirge, Advance Australia Fair. :yuk:

bnt
3rd Sep 2010, 22:10
The Flower of Scotland isn't an official anthem, though - it's a pop song that's been adopted by the SRFU and SFA etc. We hates it, too.

Now this is what I call a Serious Anthem:
mW9Qj7rOg2Q

Too serious, it needs a little more ... funk:
jGHhSlPJRCI
:8

Tankertrashnav
3rd Sep 2010, 22:10
Sitigeltfel - Thanks for that, Mrs TTN and I helpless with laughter here!

Sorry Parapunter, I had to Google I wanna be Adored (never heard of it) and I have to say The Archers have got Stone Roses beaten hands down!

Bealzebub
3rd Sep 2010, 22:11
I've always thought the national anthem of Liechtenstein (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_c5QcmkAww&feature=related) had a familiar ring to it?

purplehelmet
3rd Sep 2010, 22:13
a lot of the english players were criticized at the world cup for not singing the national anthem,one t.v. pundit (can't remember who)defended them by saying,none of the spanish players sing thier national anthem either.
it was soon pointed out to him the spanish national anthem has no lyric's,oop's.
also did you know that liechtenstien has the same music to thier national anthem as england?
my personal choice would be, land of hope and glory.

tony draper
3rd Sep 2010, 22:19
Well we did write the National Anthems of a lot of countries when we set them free,which was nice.
:rolleyes:

Capetonian
3rd Sep 2010, 22:19
I strongly object to the odious pork barreling EU swine in Brussels hijacking the glorious Ode to Joy to represent their filthy organisation.

So do I, but in prouder days the music was used as the national anthem of Rhodesia.

The Spanish anthem is called the Marcha Real (Royal March) and officially has no words to it, which I believe makes it unique.

tony draper
3rd Sep 2010, 22:28
Here's one to stir the hearts of we Munros.:ok:
YouTube - Scottish Pipes & Drum Blue Bonnets Bonnie Dundee Cambels Are Coming (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOPxY3EM9I4&NR=1)

Parapunter
3rd Sep 2010, 22:36
The Archers have got Stone Roses beaten hands down!Tanker, in Punter's Britain, you would be taken outside at dawn & shot every day for a week for that.:E

1g09GzbctlA

SMT Member
3rd Sep 2010, 23:11
When the boxheads had their 1989 hugfest and merged, the single biggest unforgiveable mistake they did was choosing the wrong anthem. Ok, so the loosing side was a bunch of commies, but they had one of the nicest national anthems ever:

YouTube - DDR anthem instrumental 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SHPndn_5Y8&feature=related)

The Olympics hasn't quite been the same since they stopped playing that.

mini
3rd Sep 2010, 23:50

Glorious Ode to Joy...

Not like our Drapes to stand up for summit Germanic, regardless of its unite all theme...:E

Pugilistic Animus
4th Sep 2010, 00:18
And here I was thinking that the everyone's national anthem was the 'Star Spangled Banner':} ---BTW it seems that July 4 is getting close for the Britons as it's almost Nov 5 :}:}:ouch:

G-CPTN
4th Sep 2010, 01:02
qXKur2FAN7g

SASless
4th Sep 2010, 02:37
This one was popular in my neck of the woods.....matter of fact amongst the native born of us it still is. Granted the invasion of the South by the Damn Yankees continues unabated yet today. Grandpap Dudley would be purely mortified at how his ancestors had let him down. He was a Corporal in the North Carolina Home Guard during that period of unpleasantness and had the mission of keeping Yankees out of Raleigh, NC.

IJsHv0uPstk

corsair
4th Sep 2010, 11:11
I don't particularly like the our national anthem but it's not the worst. But in common with most Irish people I don't even know the words because of course it's in our native language which most of us cannot understand or speak. But no one seems to think thats particularly odd.

As for anthems, you can't beat the Russian national anthem. It's inspirational. After watching that I'm off to fight for the Motherland! Plus they have marvelously large military hats.

EbjQeW8KRn0&feature=related

Cacophonix
4th Sep 2010, 11:56
As for anthems, you can't beat the Russian national anthem. It's inspirational. After watching that I'm off to fight for the Motherland! Plus they have marvelously large military hats.Not for the first time today I have to totally agree with you Corsair. ;)

I guess the acid test is that if your anthem doesn't sound good as a rock song find another one...

ASHm65s-CLE

JnMKGSUDDqU

BombayDuck
4th Sep 2010, 12:00
Capt. Claret - even before I saw your post I thought of the following video.

xiEycVMKoJo

:ok:

I find the Indian anthem too sober for my liking, though unfortunately we take our flag and anthem WAY too seriously, and so it could never be a happy one.

Also, thanks to a certain scarlet-dressed F1 team and driver, I had almost memorised the German and Italian anthems in the early 2000s. And in one season, a couple of races that Schumi did not win, the winner was Jarno Trulli.... an Italian driver!

G-CPTN
4th Sep 2010, 12:08
zUqTGZIexn4

Parapunter
4th Sep 2010, 12:29
I don't want him & I kept the receipt.

Windy Militant
4th Sep 2010, 12:55
An interesting thought that Vinnie Jones made a point of learning the Words of 'Hen Wlad fy nhadau' and singing it with Gusto at every match he played for the team! :ok:

Tankertrashnav
4th Sep 2010, 13:12
As for anthems, you can't beat the Russian national anthem. It's inspirational. After watching that I'm off to fight for the Motherland! Plus they have marvelously large military hats.

Nice one, Corsair :ok:

Did you notice, though, that the old guys werent singing? They either didn't know or didn't want to know the words of the new Russian anthem, and were silently going through the words of the old Soviet one, which of course had the same tune!

Isnt the The Soldier's Song ever sung in English? I suppose, though on reflection it wouldn't be ;)

GrumpyOldFart
4th Sep 2010, 13:25
I wondered whether Arthur Haynes was still around - and there he is, at 2:44 in Corsair's p*st # 25, the military parade clip. Never knew he was a Navy man, though.

SASless
4th Sep 2010, 13:34
The Texas Cuties get it right!

QKCVS57j284

Lon More
4th Sep 2010, 13:40
GSTQ is supposedly the British anthem but I'll let the Engerland supporters kept the rascist rant

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
and like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the King.

I agree, Flower of Scotland is dreich; Highland Cathedral no better. What Scotlanf needs is a good set of words to the Black Bear (and Pipes and Drums only, none of the brass band carp)

I don't know if any here are aware but Siam had an anthem to the tune of GSTQ; IIRC the first line went thus:-
"Oh wa tana Siam"

Storminnorm
4th Sep 2010, 16:11
I think the Rock version of the Russian Anthem is BRILLIANT.
Thanks Namib Fox. Great stuff!!

Captain Stable
4th Sep 2010, 16:21
I've always thought that "Land of Hope and Glory" would work well as a Brit National Anthem.

I can see that people might have difficulties with "Wider still and wider / may thy bounds be set" but if one accepts that "thy bounds" might be conceptual or intellectual boundaries rather than physical frontiers, then no problemo.

Storminnorm
4th Sep 2010, 16:26
Might as well have Land of Hope and Glory.
Hope for the future.
surviving off past Glory.

Tankertrashnav
4th Sep 2010, 16:34
LonMore - re "rebellious Scots to crush" etc (I don't think so! said Billy Connoly in Sitigeltfel's clip), later verses of anthems don't always stand up to close examination:

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country should leave us no more!
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Thats the Brits' foul footsteps they're talking about! But no hard feelings, it was 198 years ago, after all!

Storminnorm
4th Sep 2010, 16:45
Oh FFS!!!
198 yrs ago you say???
So in a couple more years it'll be the BiCentenary??
I think I'll emigrate.

lasernigel
4th Sep 2010, 23:28
Lillibulero ... the tune is English but the words are Irish; lillibulero being an English bastardisation of the Gaelic for "Lillies of the Field".

Is also the regimental march of REME. Used to enjoy marching to that.:ok:

Sing our National anthem with pride though must admit compared with some, it is a bit of a dirge.
Love the Italian one makes you want to join in.:ok:

Corsair, do like the Russian one and also the hats! Why sooooo big??

Remember on Michael Palins round the world trip, he tried to sing with the Russian naval choir a song which wasn't the National anthem, but something else. Like that one as well.:ok:

CanAmdelta1
5th Sep 2010, 04:14
Quite the naff to ignore a national anthem performance...embarassing to see the lack of respect.

phone ringtone "Scotland the Brave" love the pipes:ok:

SASless....Suh you are credit to your roots. "Dixie" brings a tear to mine eyes and a Rebel yell to my lips.:D

Star Spangled Banner:D
Oh Canada:D

Tankertrashnav
5th Sep 2010, 09:31
lasernigel

Remember on Michael Palins round the world trip, he tried to sing with the Russian naval choir a song which wasn't the National anthem, but something else. Like that one as well.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

That was "Polyushka Polye" (over the wide field). I agree, great song, patriotic Soviet one about the Red Army. Words in English and Russian here

ORIGA POLYUSHKA POLYE LYRICS (http://www.justsomelyrics.com/1795191/ORIGA-Polyushka-Polye-Lyrics)

no doubt you can find Michael Palin's performance on You Tube and sing along!

(but in the meantime here's a Red Army version, complete with big hats!)

YouTube - Russian Red Army Choir - O Field, My Field (Polushko Pole) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfBeeVKhPHE&feature=related)

ThreadBaron
5th Sep 2010, 11:14
I fourth (or fifth) the Russian anthem. Although slow (I find my feet poised for the order,"By the Right, Sloooow March!) the crescendos and flourishes lift it way above.

As for the rock version ... thanks corsair:ok:

Juud
5th Sep 2010, 11:20
Well done Laurent Blanc. :ok:
Always irks me when I see sportsmen and women wearing the national colours unable/unwilling to sing the anthem of the country they represent. Extremely boorish, and reflects badly on the coach IMO.
There was a time when the black players on the Dutch footie team flatly refused to sing the anthem :oh: , should have been grounded the lot of them.
Things better now.

Dutch anthemīs words were appropriate when written in 1568, but are utterly senseless now. Doesnīt stop the populace from belting it out with vigour on liberation day and at sports events. I always enjoy singing it and have made sure both our kids know it by heart even if they didnīt grow up there. Stirring stuff! :ok: (unless sung too slow, then it becomes a dirge)

Norwegian anthem is much more topical. "Yes we love this country/Ja vi elsker dette landet". It describes the country and its people in simple words, with a fairly simple melody. Throat lump agent.
Itīs beautiful, the people love singing it and I usually join in sotto voce.

Another vote for "Nkosi Sikeleli"; cracking anthem. :ok:

Hydromet
5th Sep 2010, 12:03
Most national anthems, including our own AAF, are dirges. There's a push on for Waltzing Matilda, but I'm afraid I'd find myself singing "Once a jolly vagabond, camped by a lilly pond....". Not the done thing.
We were in PNG at independence, and I always thought that the theme played by national radio when they fired up in the morning would have made a good national anthem. Bright tune, sounded good in English, Pisin or Motu, and expressed optimism. Can't remember all the words, but it started "Papua Niu Gini, taim bilong yu i kam, ol kantri lukim sun kamap bilong you..."

G-CPTN
5th Sep 2010, 13:17
Il_weWOWAcw

Simonta
5th Sep 2010, 14:55
Am I alone in not getting the whole patriotism/national anthem thing?

I don't need a song to remember history nor those who have fought for the principles I hold dear.

Can't help but agree with George Bernard Shaw who said something along the lines of "Patriotism is the conviction that your country is better because through an accident of birth, you were born in it".

I do like a rousing tune though and echo previous posters in voting for Russian, French and Italian (well done for getting the word "Scipio" into a song!).

Captain Stable
5th Sep 2010, 17:12
Probably because I was always attached to a field gun regiment of the A&SHOr perhaps, being in a field gun regiment you never heard any regimental march?

CAN YOU PLAY IT A BIT LOUDER PLEASE??? :eek:

corsair
5th Sep 2010, 23:36
Corsair, do like the Russian one and also the hats! Why sooooo big??The hats are bloody outrageous, but you have to admire the bigness. It's a military tradition. Have you seen the bearskins of the Guards regiments?

Flash2001
6th Sep 2010, 00:55
A slight thread drift, but one of the more emotive moments ever filmed was Charles de Gaulle singing La Marseillaise at, I think, the Place des Armes just after Paris was liberated. He was trying to speak but couldn't make himself heard over the crowd so he started to sing. The crowd joined in.

After an excellent landing etc...

rgbrock1
7th Sep 2010, 14:42
I am always proud to take part in the singing of the American national anthem aka, The Star Spangled Banner. Which, SASless, is also the national anthem of "y'all" down south as well. Whether you like it or not even the south is part of the United States. Just because we northerners kicked your southern butts two ways to Sunday, and back, doesn't mean you should partake in sour grapes. :ok:

MagnusP
7th Sep 2010, 15:11
rgb: the only time I've been present when the Star-Spangled Banner was sung was at a pro-Bowl game in Honolulu. A very moving moment, particularly when they flew a bald eagle the length of the stadium, and a pretty good anthem. It beats ours hands-down, especially as GSTQ refers to "quelling the rebellious Scots". :*

Storminnorm
7th Sep 2010, 15:18
We still have to quell the rebellious Scots.
I can still remember the Bu**ers wrecking the goalposts
and digging up the pitch at Wembley a few years ago.
Bl**dy hooligans.
Should've set the Redcoats on 'em!!!

MagnusP
7th Sep 2010, 15:21
Think yersel' lucky, Norm. We started the process that led to your shiny new Wembley stadium. We prolly paid for it, too, out of North Sea oil revenues. :p

Edit: Incidentally, it's said that the red coats were so that you couldn't see the bloodstains. French soldiers wear brown trousers, don't they? :E

Tankertrashnav
7th Sep 2010, 16:33
Just because we northerners kicked your southern butts two ways to Sunday, and back, doesn't mean you should partake in sour grapes. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Nice to see a bit of internecine strife among the cousins, makes a change from the transatlantic aggro we often have on here!

I think the Star Spangled Banner would be be in my top three as well. Dixie lacks the essential gravitas required of a national anthem.