PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News, earthquake in New Zealand!

con-pilot
3rd Sep 2010, 18:03
Just now on the new that a 7.2 earthquake has hit near Christchurch.

Hoping for the best, are all of our N.Z. Ppruners okay?

con-pilot
3rd Sep 2010, 18:17
Now on CNN they are talking to a lady in Christchurch, she reports major damage, power out in most areas and they are receiving many aftershocks. No reports on casualties at this time.

Just now sunrise there.

Epicenter is 30 km from Christchurch. One report it was on land and other saying the epicenter was offshore.

Many reports of large stone buildings destroyed.

Still no reports of any serious injuries. Thank God.

mixture
3rd Sep 2010, 18:18
B3527/10 Notamn
Q) Nzzc/qfalc/iv/nbo/a/000/999/4329s17232e005
A) Nzch B) 1009031649 C) 1009032000 Est
E) Ad Clsd Due Earthquake

Rossian
3rd Sep 2010, 18:43
...according to the US Geological Survey it was 5.7 not 7.2. Big enough nonetheless.

The Ancient Mariner

WestWind1950
3rd Sep 2010, 18:59
7.0 according to this site (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Maps/region/S_Pacific_eqs.php). :(

con-pilot
3rd Sep 2010, 19:14
Looks like the 5.7 was an aftershock. In any case, a 5.7 is pretty bad all by itself.

First report was a 7.2, I guess they downgraded it to a 7.0.

bnt
3rd Sep 2010, 19:17
The quake was shallow (12km), epicentre about 55km west of Christchurch near Darfield. PAGER (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/pager/events/us/2010atbj/index.html) estimates about 2,000 people there got very badly shaken. :ouch:

G-CPTN
3rd Sep 2010, 19:22
I don't remember the severity (5.6?) but we had an earthquake in England a few years back.
I was in bed (third floor) and the whole floor shook. I was afraid that the chimney would collapse onto me - but there wasn't time to react and do anything about it.

It was scarey, though . . .

Edited to add:-
It was 5.2:- BBC NEWS | UK | England | Earthquake felt across much of UK (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7266136.stm)

tony draper
3rd Sep 2010, 19:30
I remember that, one's pruning chair oscillated slightly, most strange it were.:uhoh:

BlueWolf
3rd Sep 2010, 19:30
We're about 30km north of Christchurch. Quake woke me up just after 0430. Biggest one I've ever felt. Lost a couple of potplants and some stuff out of cupboards and the desk upstairs, but no major damage as far as I can tell. The water tank is still on the stand so that's a plus!

We still have power up here, Christchurch is blacked out, the airport is closed while they inspect the runway, there has been some shearing damage to roads in Christchurch itself and the wireless says a number of building facades have fallen down.

A number of injuries but no deaths reported and apparently no tsunami risk. Quake was inland, 30km west of CHCH and about 33 km deep. Big shake was 7.4, there have been two aftershocks above 5 and one of them quite shallow, about 5km down.

Still having aftershocks right now. Phones are working but apparently some cell networks are overloaded in town.

Parapunter
3rd Sep 2010, 19:41
Too soon for the tens of dollars of damage jokes?

Seriously, all the best Kiwi mates.:ok:

Beamish Boy
3rd Sep 2010, 19:44
I've just spoken to my uncle who lives in SE Christchurch and in his words "was a bit of a rattler" :uhoh:. He still has power and water.

hellsbrink
3rd Sep 2010, 19:47
I knew I shouldn't have had that bean......:E

In all honesty, one hopes all is ok for the Kiwis. Going by what Bluey said it ain't too bad so I only hope that nothing more happens.

mixture
3rd Sep 2010, 19:52
...according to the US Geological Survey it was 5.7 not 7.2. Big enough nonetheless.

Yeah, well.... probably was by the time it reached US sensors....:rolleyes:

Try the New Zealand geological hazard monitoring system website (GeoNet).... ID number 3366146 definitley shows 7.4 !

GeoNet - Recent New Zealand Earthquakes (http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/quakes/recent_quakes.html)

G-CPTN
3rd Sep 2010, 19:56
In some respects it was 'lucky' it was during the night (though it doesn't give people the opportunity to take shelter).

As I understand it, earthquakes are 'expected' so buildings are usually designed to have some resilience. I guess that applies to highways too.

Beeb reporting 'no casualties' - can't be bad . . .

vulcanised
3rd Sep 2010, 20:01
I was trying to work out how that thread title was going to turn into a joke.

Glad to hear that it's not as disastrous as it might have been.

Chesty Morgan
3rd Sep 2010, 20:03
Breaking Ewes?

sitigeltfel
3rd Sep 2010, 21:15
Used to get the odd tremor when we lived near Comrie in Perthshire. One brought all the soot from the chimney down into the living room. First, and only time I ever heard my mother swear.

Loose rivets
3rd Sep 2010, 21:17
Just been talking to a pal in Nz. Seems it's much worse than I'd thought.

He sent this link and I haven't got time to see if there are others on his mail. But he reports of quite severe problems with looting.

This list of links on the top right seem to be what he was talking about. In haste.

Looters hitting Christchurch following quake - Yahoo!Xtra News (http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/7881082/looters-hitting-christchurch-following-quake/)

BlueWolf
3rd Sep 2010, 21:25
Thanks all for kind wishes. Just been for a proper inspection, quite a bit of stuff fallen off shelves in the garage, the tank stand is on a bit more of a lean than it was, but the bank below the house looks OK and the septic tank is undamaged thankfully.

Still getting aftershocks, so that's good for adrenalin levels.

BlueWolf
3rd Sep 2010, 21:28
TV One News reporter speaking to the Police liason guy said looting was only a couple of isolated incidents. Power and water still off, problems with cellphone towers, and a few broken sewer mains.

ExSp33db1rd
3rd Sep 2010, 21:36
Personally in Northern New Zealand - not physically affected by the 'quake.

Latest - 09.00 local - news repeats the details contained in the Blue Wolf post earlier

Many brick and concrete buildings damaged, many minor casualties but only two serious ones reported so far, looting considered minimal and some in custody, back-up batteries in cell phone sites about to expire about now, and requests not to use any telephone unless seriously concerned, fear of overloading the services that do remain and are necessary for emergency crews, water off, electricity off, New Brighton residents advised to prepare for evacuation and await advice, due flooding and sewage problems that might eventuate, some roads closed and the open ones have no traffic lights, caution suggested, train services halted whilst lines and bridges are examined, Trans-Alpine to the West Coast closed ufn.

X'ch Airport still closed but Air Force about to deliver Prime Minister and Civil Defence staff.

Major power company reckons no serious damage to power generation equipment, but local retail company is inspecting delivery to consumers, many power poles down.

Christchurch earthquake's destruction - National - NZ Herald Pictures (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/image.cfm?c_id=1&gal_objectid=10671049&gallery_id=113677#7073415)

level 6 aftershock just experienced, no Tsunami fear for Lyttleton.

Road to New Brighton closed with large crevasse, people arrived with cameras and are standing in the fissure having their photographs taken.Darwin Award candidates no doubt.

ExSpd.

henry crun
3rd Sep 2010, 22:49
A link to pics showing some of the damage.

Edit: more up to date pics ttp://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/photogallery-christchurch-quake-3759986

mini
3rd Sep 2010, 23:01
I've had the unfortunate experience of being somewhere and experienced a 7.2 earthquake.

Believe me all you folks that only read about these things, its big time scary.

We all have these ideas about what we'd do in the event of etc.

Boll*cks. The first problem you have is that you can't stand up, the ground is jumping all over the place. Your run away strategy is shot to bits.

Its scary, really bloody scary,

You are at the mercy of a power so vast it was previously unimaginable.

tinpis
4th Sep 2010, 01:33
Breaking News, earthquake in New Zealand!
A more startling headline would be Breaking News, no earthquakes in New Zealand!

Still, it is ChCh not Rottenrua or Taupo.

BlueWolf
4th Sep 2010, 04:13
And now nine dead in a plane crash (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10671083) at Fox Glacier. It never rains but it pours :sad:

They tell us we can look forward to a magnitude 6 for afters sometime in the next 48 hours. Oh Goody. :uhoh:

Airport open again, but TV news crews in Canterbury are now running short of politicians. They're having to fly them in from as far away as Auckland for photo ops and soundbites :hmm:

ExSp33db1rd
4th Sep 2010, 04:20
A more startling headline would be Breaking News, no earthquakes in New Zealand

After personally experiencing a Los Angeles earthquake - Northridge in '93 (?) - my wife requested an abode away from earthquakes - refused my suggestion of Aus. due to mozzies, flies, blue-ringed octopii, sharks, crocs, portuguese man o'war (and probably Aussies, too !! ) .

Chose New Zealand.

Wouldn't listen to me.

AC Busted
4th Sep 2010, 04:53
I live in central Christchurch and I admit that it was the most frightening experience of my 44 years.

I was literally thrown out of bed at about 0435 local time. Our 108 year old house was shuddering and groaning and then the chimney came through our ceiling, narrowly missing my good lady and I but killing our cat and injuring our dog (who will be OK).

Once the shaking finished we went out into the street where there were dozens of people outside. Many people were in their underwear and dressing gowns, obviously shocked but making nervous jokes.

If there was one funny thing, it was the fact that everybody had their cellphone on them - although the cell sites were down they made great torches with the power out.

We have our phones and power back now at 1630 local but we have no water or sewerage. We do have bourbon though :)

We're feeling lucky to be alive today and thanking our lucky stars!

Hobo
4th Sep 2010, 05:45
ExSp33db1rd ...you're not AM are you?

ExSp33db1rd
4th Sep 2010, 05:54
ExSp33db1rd ...you're not AM are you?

My lips are sealed, try a PM.

Slasher
4th Sep 2010, 06:00
Breaking News, earthquake in New Zealand!

Were there many female sheep lost? Its sad indeed when a Kiwi loses a loving girlfriend to a earthquake. ;)

BlueWolf
4th Sep 2010, 06:09
Were there many female sheep lost? Its sad indeed when a Kiwi loses a loving girlfriend to a earthquake. ;)

So, you don't care about gay Kiwis who prefer shagging rams, then?

Bastard.

:*

;)

eticket
4th Sep 2010, 08:56
I wonder if the sculpture made out of steel from the Twin Towers survived?

http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/TowersWreckage.jpg

from: Monument in Christchurch (http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/TwinTowers.html)

(That was snapped before the shaker.)

aviate1138
4th Sep 2010, 09:48
So it was a Sivin? Thank goodniss it wasn't a Tin? :oh:

airship
4th Sep 2010, 11:55
con-pilot, before the USA begins any major rescue efforts in NZ, please ensure that all sea-bourne rescue vessels are non-nuclear powered or at least certified as not carrying any nuclear war-heads...?!

PS. If "immediate aid efforts" are mainly incoming via air (eg. Galaxy C5 etc.), then please don't be offended that swarms of NZ customs officials will nevertheless delay urgent cargoes, spraying crews, passengers and cargoes with whatever they use (ostensibly inoffensive) as per normal...?! Only, if I remember correctly, we had to basically "ditch" all frozen foodstuffs on arrival in NZ aboard a yacht back in about 1987. No, the food wasn't destroyed, so far as I'm aware the customs offcials expressed great pleasure in taking the "confiscated food" home...?!

PPS. "Don't need any French intervention yet, or US nuclear-powered warships. We Pakehas are fine...?! :=

vulcanised
4th Sep 2010, 12:13
Irish International Rescue are on their way to Newfoundland.

Rollingthunder
4th Sep 2010, 12:17
Made me laugh, but Come By Chance are in no danger.

Storminnorm
4th Sep 2010, 14:15
Bl**dy hell!! That was close!!! Christchurch is only 100 miles away
from here!!! Never felt a thing though.

Slasher
4th Sep 2010, 14:36
So, you don't care about gay Kiwis who prefer shagging rams, then?

Oh baa-a-a to that! Ewe cant pull the wool over me and ram
that sheepish question on me BlueWolf. Stop bleating about
it.

;)

eticket
4th Sep 2010, 15:01
AC Busted

Bl**dy hell!! That was close!!!

As you say: We're feeling lucky to be alive today and thanking our lucky stars! Good luck for the days and months ahead.

BlueWolf
4th Sep 2010, 21:45
AC, glad to hear the two of you are OK. Sorry about your cat.

airship, sweetness, the plural of pakeha is pakeha, just like the plural of Maori is Maori. So your point would be....?

Quiet night, or perhpas one was simply sufficiently anaesthetised to not notice any aftershocks. 130km/h winds forecast for today so that'll be fun.

Aid ? Dunno about that. There is a US C-17 sitting on the tarmac at Christchurch airport, but it's probably just the regular Deep Freeze crew who use the city as a base (didn't know that, now, did you airship?) There is however a sign on the fence which says "No Frenchies, especially airship." I think the Yanks put it there ;)

BlueWolf
5th Sep 2010, 09:52
US Military offers help (http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/7885070/us-help-turned-down-as-quake-clean-up-continues/) - not needed this time but the offer greatly appreciated.

The comments are worth a read through as well. The vast majority reflect the genuine appreciation most New Zealanders feel and show that pro-American sentiment is alive and well in NZ.

Thanks.
:ok:

Rollingthunder
5th Sep 2010, 13:26
Good to hear, and we'll send a C-17 or two full of tents. sleeping bags, Rocky Mountain spring water, poutine, maple syrup and back bacon if you want.

Commonwealth cousins.

reynoldsno1
7th Sep 2010, 08:54
John Hamilton, the Civil Defence director, used to be the RNZAF CAS. Excellent, very capable guy. Biggest problem seems to be the water and sewerage... they reckon about 100,000 homes will require some sort of repair and take at least a year. Fletcher Construction shares up sharply today ...