PDA

View Full Version : 'Proposed' changes in DGCA written examinations

jimmygill
3rd Sep 2010, 17:10
5. Licenses from a contracting state are acceptable for the purpose of conversion into Indian license only and not for appearing in higher license examination. CAR shall be amended to clarify that only candidates applying through DGCA approved flying training institutes shall be permitted to appear in PPL/CPL exams.

The text above is excerpted from from Public Notice on DGCA website published on 23rd Aug 2010.

The notice curiously has the subject:
Recent initiatives to improve working of CEO DGCA, further to Public Notice dated 2nd July 2010.

The possible repercussions from of the above are

1. If you get a PPL from an ICAO contracting state, and successfully convert that to the Indian PPL you will not be allowed to sit for CPL examinations.

The current CARs related to appearing for CPL written examination i.e.
CAR SECTION 7, SERIES ‘B’ PART I Para 7.3 says

7. Requirements for appearing in various Flights Crew License
Examinations: <snip>
7.3 Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL);
The applicant should have:
(a) Passed 10+2 standard examination with Physics and Mathematics Subjects
from a recognized Board / University or its equivalent examination.
(b) (i) The applicant should have PPL;
OR
Other...

If the 'proposed' amendment comes into place it will be at loggerheads with the existing CAR, unless of course they alter the existing CAR If they do not alter the existing provision they will make a class distinction between converted PPL/CPL vs Indian Training CPL/PPL.

So guys, if you have time, put in your objections to DGCA against such ill thought measures.

babboo57
4th Sep 2010, 08:11
@jimmy,
would that mean that if one has a converted CPL, one cant appear for the
indian ATPL exam ?

babboo57
4th Sep 2010, 08:35
@jimmy,

sorry but just read the said notice. agree it could create problems for some.
however i think your interpretation may not be correct. i think the implications
are that you will have to necessarily convert the foreign PPL into an indian
PPL and then go on to appear for the CPL. with an unconverted foreign PPL one may not be able to appear for the indian CPL as was permitted till now.

jimmygill
4th Sep 2010, 12:14
sorry but just read the said notice. agree it could create problems for some.
however i think your interpretation may not be correct. i think the implications
are that you will have to necessarily convert the foreign PPL into an indian
PPL and then go on to appear for the CPL. with an unconverted foreign PPL one may not be able to appear for the indian CPL as was permitted till now

Thanks for your inputs. I had came across that thought. My opinion is based on the scenario..

One gets the ICAO PPL converted to Indian PPL. When this person wishes to appear for the CPL exam i.e. CPLG category he will have to fill in the CA9 form and since this is first time he is appearing in this category he will be asked to fill up Annexure 1. The annexure 1 will require the applicant to get a certificate from a flight/ground school.

This more so when thier intention is to make this change
"CAR shall be amended to clarify that only candidates applying through DGCA approved flying training institutes shall be permitted to appear in PPL/CPL exams."

Such a provision, in my personal opinion is restricting the liberty of persons to chose profession of their choice, without any reasonable benefit to safety of flight operations.

Just a few years back any one who wished to appear for PPL/CPL exam could simply appear on the basis of self study and without any mandatory ground school.

And then we came with these meaningless regulations like 50 hrs for CPL, 150 hrs ground school, and what not.

Lets see how they actually amend the CAR.