PDA

View Full Version : 3D/colour blindness

dazdaz1
3rd Sep 2010, 15:22
Hi all
Having red/green (or is it brown) colour blindness. I've never really found the effect of 3D noticeable wearing those glasses. Have any other colour blind readers/posters experienced this?

D1

bnt
3rd Sep 2010, 20:26
The red/green filters stop non-red or -green light from reaching the relevant eyes. I see that as meaning that the basic 3D effect should not depend on your colour vision, not unless one eye isn't seeing anything at all!

Loose rivets
3rd Sep 2010, 21:10
I don't think colour filters are used any more.

bnt
3rd Sep 2010, 21:59
There are no colour filters in the glasses used to view current 3D movies, so colour vision is of course irrelevant in that case. But dazdaz1 said "those glasses", so I assume he mean those old style red/green glasses. They are still around, but they're a joke, really.

dazdaz1
4th Sep 2010, 00:08
Hi bnt
Yes that's' what I'm on about. Back in the 60s there was a movie 'The Thirteen Ghosts' and recently this year Channel 4 (Uk tv I think) ran a series of 3D films, one could get free from supermarkets the red/green cardboard specs. Never worked for me.

So what are these new specs to view 3D?
D1

Bushfiva
4th Sep 2010, 05:49
They're active shutters that synch with the screen image. The synch signal is IR. Movie theaters tend to use the RealD system with is a circular polarizer placed in front of the DLP which alternately polarizes each frame. The specs in this case have oppositely-circular polarized lenses and are passive.