PDA

View Full Version : A330 autothrust question

bigbob
3rd Sep 2010, 13:42
If I'm in Crz with the A/THR is engaged with both TL's in the climb detent then push ONE TL into the TOGA detent:

1.) Will the thrust Limit become TOGA with one ENG accelerating to TOGA thrust?

2.) Will the A/THR reman engaged?

3.) If so will the other ENG ie the one not in the TOGA detent decelerate in order to maintain the target airspeed?

Mucho Gracias guys.

svelte yelk
3rd Sep 2010, 13:46
yes yes no.

You won't get one more ounce of thrust in the cruise by selecting TOGA even on 2 engines

Eric Janson
5th Sep 2010, 08:53
1. Yes - but both engines will go to TOGA thrust.

2. A/T will be in armed mode as TOGA is a thrust mode not a speed mode.

3. See reply 1 - both engines will go to TOGA thrust. You are in a Thrust mode not a speed mode and the aircraft will accelerate.

I don't agree with the last part of the previous post - cruise thrust is less than TOGA so TOGA will produce more thrust. Same for the thrust limits - CLB/MCT may have the same thrust limit at high altutude but TOGA limits will be higher.

rudderrudderrat
5th Sep 2010, 10:06
Hi Eric,

Why will both engines go to TOGA thrust with only one TL set to TOGA? Surely the position of the TL controls the maximum power available.

hetfield
5th Sep 2010, 10:20
http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/145379-a320-quiz.html

shortfuel
5th Sep 2010, 10:23
I slightly disagree with first replies:

1/ Yes. If one TL is set at TOGA, A/THR will not be active anymore (A/THR blue), one ENG will provide TOGA thrust while the other will be at max CLIMB thrust.

2/ What is engaged? A/THR is either armed, active or off. In your example, it will go from active to armed mode.
(Eric, A/THR can be active in thrust mode...cf. all (most) climb are flown with thrust mode and A/THR active)

3/ No, cause A/THR is no longer active.

bigbob
5th Sep 2010, 11:18
Thanks for the replies guys, digressing slightly when do you start to lose TOGA & MCT, I read on another post they bleed out at about 14,000' so that both engines would be producing the same thrust. Any documentation anywhere to back this up. (RR Trent by the way)

svelte yelk
5th Sep 2010, 21:34
set TOGA in the cruise and see if your actual N1 increases one iota. NO.

dkz
6th Sep 2010, 12:57
Thanks for the replies guys, digressing slightly when do you start to lose TOGA & MCT, I read on another post they bleed out at about 14,000' so that both engines would be producing the same thrust. Any documentation anywhere to back this up. (RR Trent by the way)

A320 - ~26500 ft - THR CLB = THR MCT = TOGA

Don't fly the 330 and i don't know the numbers for it.