PDA

View Full Version : DSLR camera rental

SpringHeeledJack
3rd Sep 2010, 13:35
Just a quick question to the panel. Has anyone here rented/hired a DSLR body and good lens for a day/weekend/week ? I'm aware that there are websites offering this service, but was more curious of how people found the process and any tips and/or tricks to bear in mind.

I have a good friend who could lend me his, but quite sensibly wouldn't offer and i wouldn't ask, god forbid something went askew :uhoh: Thanks for any replies.

SHJ

mixture
3rd Sep 2010, 15:03
The key is to find somewhere trustworthy.

This place is particularly good as they double up as a Nikon and Canon Authorised Service Centre, therefore all their kit is always in good nick. As far as I'm aware they've got a pretty good reputation all round amongst the pro community.

http://www.fixationuk.com/

I have no association with them apart from having used both their repair and rental services at various points in the past.

Would obviously be wise to ensure your own personal insurance covers any liabilities you may incur whilst having a rental unit in your possession. No different to renting a car really.

green granite
3rd Sep 2010, 15:44
It would rather depend what you want to do, most of the stuff for hire is the top end pro stuff, at around £500 a week + lenses of course at about £60 ea. Unless you really need that level of performance you might just as well spend that and buy say a Conon 500D or 550D for the same price. I doubt you'd notice the difference in the end product unless you're going in for poster size prints.

innuendo
3rd Sep 2010, 16:32
Some of the top end DSLRs can have a fair learning curve to them. I have a Canon 7D, ( also have had 20D, 40D and also have a 5DII), and it really needed a fair look through the manual and some tutorials to become familiar with some of the settings, the autofocus in particular.
This lends support to the old Chestnut about never going on a vacation with a brand new unfamiliar camera, it is too easy to get settings wrong for a photo event that really matters.

GG's point about a 550 or equivalent, if the costs are about the same is a good one.

NutLoose
8th Sep 2010, 02:11
lot of friends swear by

Lenses For Hire Ltd. (http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/)

for lenses

cats_five
8th Sep 2010, 06:59
I guess you want to hire for a special occassion. The problem is that you probably won't be used to using the kit and you won't understand it so you are unlikely to get the best from it, especially if your current experience is a point & shot on auto.

Agree with GG's point that the hire could also be as expensive as buying an entry-level DSLR, which even with the kit lens will still out-perform most compact cameras.

SpringHeeledJack
8th Sep 2010, 13:25
Thanks for all the replies gents. The point about steep learning curves was very enlightening, as although i've used high-end stuff before (it wasn't mine) i wasn't thinking about the lack of time to get up to speed on the equipment. Costing was a lesser consideration as the lens desired was a telephoto and understandably they are by nature expensive. The suggestion of the 550D Canon was good, it seems to have many fans in the prosumer market, but i'm generally averse to buying equipment that i won't be using all the time.

One's present steed is a small Leica, it makes excellent images, but sadly the zoom/telephoto capability is by it's nature very restricted. Thanks for the recommendations of hire companies, that's 2 that i didn't know of before :ok:

SHJ

jumpseater
14th Sep 2010, 23:28
The Calumet group in the UK have a good reputation.

Do bear in mind that its a little bit like car rental, if you bend it you pay for it. They will take a credit card that any damage/loss will be billed against, so if you're looking at high end spec, make sure the CC limit will allow it.

mixture
15th Sep 2010, 08:20
Do bear in mind that its a little bit like car rental, if you bend it you pay for it.

Or you could just take them up on the option of paying a little extra to be covered on their insurance. Or you could ensure you are covered on one of your policies. No need for the credit card to take the hit.