PDA

View Full Version : Do 17 found in sea off English coast

rotornut
3rd Sep 2010, 12:43
Nazi jet found in sea off Deal, Kent | The Sun |News (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3122896/Nazi-jet-found-in-sea-off-Deal-Kent.html)

Agaricus bisporus
3rd Sep 2010, 12:53
God bless the Scum.

Never known to let facts get in the way of a story. Imbeciles.

Double Zero
4th Sep 2010, 15:34
**** Me !

Don't these people even look at the pictures they're publishing...

I presume this is the same person - or else we'll have to buy more guns -who shows Hurricanes for Spitifire articles & vice versa, and of course for anything with a propellor the standard Harvard soundtrack on the shelf will do.

Whenever I photographed aircraft or equipment ( usually because there was a problem, either physical fit or display ) I had the technician turn all the settings to something representative - it seems I was wasting my time, we should have been registering 2'000 kts with a waving alien on the screen.

I'm always amazed at the arrogance of such people as small video teams, ( I've worked with, or shall I say despite them ) who try to cover an interesting subject, but never get someone who knows what the hell they're talking about to run it through before publishing...

I have a video on the Hunter, where the narrator authoritavely mentions the Rolls Royce Nene - pronounced " Nee Nee " !

It's pretty rare to watch anything without something similar cropping up, but that jet Dornier still with prop' blades sticking up must take some beating; presumably some tottie employed for other skills was responsible, or if it was a chap I hope he reads this !

dubh12000
4th Sep 2010, 16:10
It was found "50ft below the sea".....they need to mine it out I suppose. :}

2 sheds
4th Sep 2010, 20:05
... and yet, they managed to spell Air Vice-Marshal correctly. That must be a first.

I suppose there's no question of the Luftwaffe wanting their toy back?

2 s

WHBM
4th Sep 2010, 21:42
In all fairness the main article is more accurate, it is the heading that calls it a jet.

The article will have been written by a journalist, the heading by a sub-species called a "Sub Editor", alsong with adapting the original writing to fit the space available. If you think we are (deservedly) hard here on journalists, you should hear what they themselves have to say about the "Subs", and the way they mash and wreck their original writing.

evansb
4th Sep 2010, 22:39
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/convair640/Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1969-094-182C_Dornier_Do_17_und_Supermarine_Spitfire1.jpg

603DX
5th Sep 2010, 12:04
Good for the RAF Museum, in their proposal to raise the Dornier and place it on display next year. I wonder how difficult a task this will prove to be, compared with (for example) the Loch Ness Wellington recovery.

The aircraft presumably ditched without suffering major damage, from the look of things. It then probably sank gently onto the sandy sea bed at the relatively shallow depth of 50 ft, where it gradually became embedded in the shifting sand under the action of the Channel currents. Protected by this embedment from serious structural damage by storms, ship's anchors or significant snagging by fishing nets, it has endured 70 years' immersion in a salt water environment which is far from anaerobic. Not ideal from the corrosion point of view, unlike the Wellington's submergence in the freshwater loch at a depth where little oxygen was present.

So it seems possible that the methods used in the recovery (perhaps careful removal of the surrounding and internal sand by jetting, and attachment of flotation bags) will have to deal with a very fragile airframe in a highly corroded state. It will be fascinating to follow the salvage operation, anticipating that this will be as well documented as that of the 'Wimpy'.

forget
5th Sep 2010, 12:39
I have a video on the Hunter, where the narrator authoritatively mentions the Rolls Royce Nene - pronounced " Nee Nee " !

Ah, now that's a difficult one. West of Oundle the river Nene is pronounced Nenn. East of Oundle, Neen. But Ne ne. No no.

izod tester
5th Sep 2010, 12:48
The Nene Goose is, however, pronounced ne ne. So perhaps the commentator was more of an ornithologist than an aviation expert. Peter Scott was both though.