PDA

View Full Version : Show Me The Scars

carousel
3rd Sep 2010, 11:12
Passengers and Staff entering the restricted zone at Stansted with replacement joints (hips knees), and that activate the archway metal detectors are now required to show security staff the scars, or produce medical evidence of the operation before access will be allowed.

Skipness One Echo
3rd Sep 2010, 11:21
What used to happen?
Did they really say "Well it's beeping but your old so....."
Why only at Stansted?

We should be told.

Neptunus Rex
3rd Sep 2010, 11:56
It is just so that the security staff can say "mine's prettier than yours" and then show off the scar...
from their lobotomy.

carousel
3rd Sep 2010, 12:53
Before sept 1st a pat down(grope) and a sweep with the hand held metal detector would suffice.

muppetbum
3rd Sep 2010, 13:27
I know my dad has this hassle everytime he flys. he has a knee replacement. the usual pattern of events is this. He sets the maxchine off , he tells them he has an artificial knee. They either hand pat down or sweep with the portable thingy, then let him procede.

Only twice has he had problems , all in the UK ( BHX , I'm looking at you)
Once he had to show his scar , the other time the guy got very confused after the pat down and asked him " so is it on the inside then?" :ugh:

oldbaldeagle
4th Sep 2010, 09:41
Muppetbum said

"Only twice has he had problems , all in the UK ( BHX , I'm looking at you)
Once he had to show his scar , the other time the guy got very confused after the pat down and asked him " so is it on the inside then?"

Priceless:D Perhaps we should have a linebook thread for daft remarks.

RevMan2
4th Sep 2010, 18:35
SYD Security, transit on a BKK-SYD-AKL flight.

Archway bleeps, I tell the operator that I have a hip replacement, he says

"You'll need to remove all metal"

"Got a scalpel .......?"

Blank looks...

I carry an image of the x-ray and the manufacturer's certificate, signed by the surgeon, but it mostly doesn't help - literacy appears to be in fairly short supply in LAX,where they run around like headless chickens, the BKK people let you drift through and the folks at FRA, MAN and AKL just tend to say "Hip replacement, right hand side?"

Sunnyjohn
5th Sep 2010, 22:18
Yes - this frequently happens to me (I have a large pin in my left leg). But there is no consistency. Sometimes I set the alarm off and sometimes not - in the same airport. Sometimes they ask to see the scars and sometimes they don't. I also have to wear special shoes from the same accident and I don't even wait to be asked now - I just take 'em off before I get to the scanner and stick 'em on the belt. I do try to be helpful so I'm minded to always wear shorts and short socks together with a T Shirt that explains the extend of my metal parts. Wouldn't make any difference though - some of 'em just have it in for you . . .!

ThreadBaron
6th Sep 2010, 10:40
I'm due two new knees in December. Looks like travelling is going to be fun again.;)