PDA

View Full Version : "Why does every plane have two pilots?” - “Really, you only need one" Michael O’Leary

jlms
3rd Sep 2010, 10:43
Hi there,

Didn't this come up here yesterday when published by Bloomberg? I ran a couple of searches and haven't found any reference to O'Leary's latest crack!!

Ryanair's O'Leary Mulls One-Euro Toilets, Standing Passengers - Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-09-02/ryanair-s-o-leary-ponders-pay-toilets-standing-passengers-in-profit-quest.html)

Watch out First Officer's at Ryanair!!! :rolleyes:

Fire and brimstone
3rd Sep 2010, 10:48
... don't you mean watch out Captains?

It's an economic argument: Captains get more 'money' than FO's, so sack all the Captains, and employ the FO's as the sole pilot - then change thier job title to 'Captain'.

This would save millions.

If the CAA protest, hold things up in court for months, in which time, even if Ryanair lose, they will still have saved millions.

Win-win.

:O

Sobelena
3rd Sep 2010, 10:50
It did make the PPRuNe pages some weeks ago, but I can't remember which forum it eventually ended in. Old news anyway.

HeadingSouth
3rd Sep 2010, 10:54
...old news anyway...

as is pretty much every PR Gag of Mr O'Leary. Quid toilets, standing spaces, you name it. But every time he opens his mouth he gets PR attention. Time to just ignore what he says....

On the other hand, if two don't manage to take off from the right intersection... :oh:

jlms
3rd Sep 2010, 11:14
Sorry I duplicated the info. Thought it was recent news since the Bloomberg entry is dated 2/09/2010.

And sorry I placed it in the wrong Forum too, thought that the Rumours & News subtitle ("Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots") fit the bill very appropriately :-)

And very true, RYR Captain's should be watching out more than their RHS colleagues! ;)

PaperTiger
3rd Sep 2010, 13:22
The article is new jlms, and reasonably well done IMO.

The author is not advocating MOL's fantasies and does not present them as 'news', just a backgrounder to a piece on the man himself.

Relax, we all know he doesn't run the airline - he employs competent (sometimes) and sane (usually) people to do that.