PDA

View Full Version : "I'm eighty-six, you know"

girl with a stick
3rd Sep 2010, 08:11
Went to the movies this arvo, and in the loos encountered a little old lady trying to administer eye-drops. I asked her if she'd like a hand and she replied,

"thank you dear. I'm eighty-six, you know"

This got me thinking....at what stage in life do people start disclosing their ages again? Children do it with pride up to about the age of seven, teenagers add years on, women in their forties would rather stick pins in their eyes than disclose....does one, all of a sudden, wake up one morning with a burst of pride, having made it to a certain age?

UniFoxOs
3rd Sep 2010, 08:16
Fast approaching 65, had the pension forms this week, still wouldn't openly advertise my age. So somewhere between 65 and 86 then.

Cheers
UFO
Not wanting to be thought an old [email protected]

BlueWolf
3rd Sep 2010, 08:25
So....the drops were for red eye from some bad bud then? (LOL)

My God, I can't believe I said "LOL" :eek:

CargoMatatu
3rd Sep 2010, 08:28
A friend of mine is 75 and is ALWAYS saying "I'm seventy-five, you know, and very fit for my age!"

I didn't know that seventy-five was "old" in this day and age!

He LOOKS 86, though! :ugh:

Loose rivets
3rd Sep 2010, 08:33
Flippin 'ek, it was me 43rd wedding anniversary today. Neither of us wanted to celebrate after 46 years together.

I was very boyish up to the age of 60, and got old suddenly. Got tired of people asking if the Rivetess was me daughter. Now she's catching up at last. That'll learn her.

If there's a big aggressive looking bloke annoyed with me, I wobble about a bit and say, 'I'm nearly sheventy wun, you know, Shunny.'

I fell into a crumpled ball on a skating ring a year or so ago. Young adults all gathered round and said, 'Are you okay, Sir?'

Hate that. Worst still, a silver-haired bloke called me Sir the other day. I've just got this self image of being 30, 35 at a push. Just don't know who the old git in photographs is.

goudie
3rd Sep 2010, 08:56
The worse thing about telling people your age, when you're in your '70s, is when they don't exclaim ''you're not are you?'' ''You look much younger''.

Or even worse, you tell them you're five years older than you actually are, hoping they'll look surprised, and they just accept it.:{

No! I've never done that:hmm:

Solar
3rd Sep 2010, 09:47
Was at a recent steam rally event recently with my bro in law and his missus. The car parking and ticket selling was being carried out by air cadets.

When I was paying for three tickets the young cadet said is that three adults to which me being a smart ass replied no only two, he then preceeded to give me two adults and an OAP ticket. The sad thing was the young cadet was being serious. The BIL and his missus didn't let me forget that in a hurry.

MagnusP
3rd Sep 2010, 10:06
M-I-L's birthday is in December. In the January following her 78th birthday, she kept telling everybody "I'll be 80 next year, you know". Well, true, but . . . :rolleyes:

alisoncc
3rd Sep 2010, 10:29
There's a saying that you are only old when you use your age as an excuse for not doing something, but God was it cold skinny dipping at midnight the other night, especially as it's the middle of Winter down here.

Bruce Wayne
3rd Sep 2010, 10:31
Flippin 'ek, it was me 43rd wedding anniversary today. Neither of us wanted to celebrate after 46 years together.

I was very boyish up to the age of 60, and got old suddenly. Got tired of people asking if the Rivetess was me daughter. Now she's catching up at last. That'll learn her.

If there's a big aggressive looking bloke annoyed with me, I wobble about a bit and say, 'I'm nearly sheventy wun, you know, Shunny.'

I fell into a crumpled ball on a skating ring a year or so ago. Young adults all gathered round and said, 'Are you okay, Sir?'

Hate that. Worst still, a silver-haired bloke called me Sir the other day. I've just got this self image of being 30, 35 at a push. Just don't know who the old git in photographs is.

thing is rivets, from the pictures of yourself and the rivetess in the photos sticky thread, the two of you look like 'the' ideal couple. :ok:

Flyt3est
3rd Sep 2010, 10:32
I'm told regularly I look 35 so I am more than happy to admit to being 42!! :ok:

tony draper
3rd Sep 2010, 10:39
Well it is a bit of a achievement you know,still walking about in a machine designed by nature to last forty years at the most.
:)
ere this post was aimed at the 86 year olds Mr Fly,I mean squeezing a extra two year could just be down to good luck.

Radar66
3rd Sep 2010, 10:41
I'm told regularly I look 35 so I am more than happy to admit to being 42!!

Same as me. well, ish.... :O

and...

I suspect as well as the same as me, it's due to pickling... A good preservative that is, pickling... ;)

Rollingthunder
3rd Sep 2010, 10:51
Hmmm, pickled green tomatoes. I'm 19 in my mind.

tony draper
3rd Sep 2010, 10:57
19 good grief no! I was as daft as a bag of ferrets at 19.:uhoh:

Rollingthunder
3rd Sep 2010, 11:18
Yups. loverly

Gainesy
3rd Sep 2010, 11:49
I feel like I'm 25. Missus says I act like seven and three-quarters.:hmm:

MagnusP
3rd Sep 2010, 11:50
I feel like a 23-year-old, but can't run fast enough to catch one.

Parapunter
3rd Sep 2010, 11:55
I feel a 25 year old most days.

Shack37
3rd Sep 2010, 12:02
Fast approaching 65, had the pension forms this week, still wouldn't openly advertise my age. So somewhere between 65 and 86 then

No, no, no, you mustn't fast approach, just nudge it gently for a while............then roar through.

corsair
3rd Sep 2010, 12:14
50, I reckon. Well in my case anyway. You suddenly realise you're past your peak and it's all downhill from here. So when people want you to do something stupid and dangerous, you tell them you're 50 and too old for that nonsense. Not only that it's true because your reaction times and agility, not to mention eyesight are in decline. The trouble is; 'stupid and dangerous' can include getting on a kitchen chair to change a light bulb or climbing a ladder.

Jeremy Clarkson turned 50 recently and he hasn't stopped going on about it either. There is no neat aphorism for being 50. Life doesn't begin at 50, most of your life isn't ahead of you at 50. The only real benefit is that you can now join those 'over 50' plans so you can lay away money which your ungrateful children will use to bury you tastefully rather than let the taxpayer foot the bill.

If those deals were honest in their advertising they would say: 'So you're 50, let's face it. Your life if over, time to get ready for the funeral. But you don't want to be a burden do you? So join our plan and you'll get a decent burial. That's all you can expect at your age!'

Captain Stable
3rd Sep 2010, 12:27
When I was 47 I advertised myself as being "40 plus VAT". The way VAT is going now I will probably be able to do so again in a coupla years time. :uhoh:

Now 50 is fast heading the way I'm NOT going, I tell people that I'm 21 and a bit. It's quite a :mad: big bit, but still 21 and a bit... :ok:

My old man used to tell people "I'm 85, you know" as well - dunno what it is. I suspect asking for special pleading in his case. ;)

corsair
3rd Sep 2010, 12:33
Now 50 is fast heading the way I'm NOT goingYou can't avoid it. It's like going over a cliff, you see it's coming, you know it's coming and you think something will save at the last second. But you go over anyway. As you go over the edge, you know it's over so you decide all you can do is enjoy the fall.

Captain Stable
3rd Sep 2010, 12:39
Ain't that the truth - the next cliff edge is labelled "60"... :sad:

airborne_artist
3rd Sep 2010, 12:41
I feel a 25 year old most days

So do I, but there's never one around when you need them, is there? ;)

chksix
3rd Sep 2010, 12:41
You're only as old as the woman you feel :E

vulcanised
3rd Sep 2010, 12:48
Lately, all the checkout staff at the supermarket have been asking "Would you like some help with that?", so I'm wondering if my elderly appearance also suggests frail.

Can't be that, must be a change of policy.

ShyTorque
3rd Sep 2010, 12:54
I'm told regularly I look 35 so I am more than happy to admit to being 42!!

Fly3test; I would never disclose my own chest measurent on here...... :p

I'm thirty eight and some months.....

Nearly two hundred of the damned things.....

Checkboard
3rd Sep 2010, 12:58
"I'm eighty-six, you know." - well I'm exactly half that today, perhaps if I start announcing it I'll get half the respect? ;)

BlueWolf
3rd Sep 2010, 13:00

Excellent. One is 32 again. :ok:

....one only looks 53 because one has lived hard....but it was worth it. :p

Hydromet
3rd Sep 2010, 13:06
So, GWAS, for how many years have you been 39?:rolleyes:

JWP1938
3rd Sep 2010, 13:24
Well, when asked my age I admit to 42 - and have done for years.

ShyTorque
3rd Sep 2010, 13:28
You're only as old as the woman you feel

This is a good technique, in fact a double bonus because she will lie about her age too! :ok:

tony draper
3rd Sep 2010, 13:43
Must be summat in this reincarnation lark, I Know blokes who remember being at events that happened ten years before they were born.:rolleyes:
The old ones is the best.:E

Storminnorm
3rd Sep 2010, 13:49
Couldn't get a reduction at the dentist yesterday, despite
being on the Pension.
Apparently I need to be paid "Benefits". Whatever they are???

goudie
3rd Sep 2010, 14:13
I never get asked for identity when buying alcohol.. which is annoying.

Why do we say 'it's all downhill from now on', downhill is easy. Uphill is bloody difficult.

The older I get, the better I was:ok:

Blacksheep
3rd Sep 2010, 14:24
The little girl from downstairs proudly told my wife and I that she is 5 and three quarters. I told her I was 13 and a half (half a century that is).

At the age of eight, No 2 daughter once asked me how old I was and I answered 33. She said "Wow! That's very old!" and went on... "When you die can I have your watch?"

So now you know what she gets in my will. :E

ehwatezedoing
3rd Sep 2010, 14:37
I've got this 25 years old syndrome in my head too.

I remember a few years ago my dad asking my great grand father who was turning 92 at the time:
"So pépé, one more year !?"
"One less you mean!" came the reply!

:ooh:

Mechta
3rd Sep 2010, 14:41
Ken Wallis (of autogyro fame) is still flying at 96, and as I'm not yet halfway there, so I'm pretty reassured.

My son sent me a Faceb**k quiz to work out my mental age. He is 18 and was judged to be 35, It told me I was 12...

It just goes to prove, 'Growing old is compulsory, but growing up is optional!'

G-CPTN
3rd Sep 2010, 14:43
"One less you mean!" came the reply!
How true . . .

Loose rivets
3rd Sep 2010, 17:46
thing is rivets, from the pictures of yourself and the rivetess in the photos sticky thread, the two of you look like 'the' ideal couple.

Groan. Appearances and all that. We spend a lot of time fighting like cat and dog. (No, I'm not going to say which is which.:E)

This grandmother thing. According to a newly published paper, it's evolutionary. It has aided the survival of the human race to have the grandmother suddenly devote herself to the new babes.

"Would you like a bit more luxury?" She says to them, while they're watching after school telly . . . before doing their homework with them. "Another smoothie? Apple? I'll chop it up for you."

"Darling," Calls I, from under a car, or in the 140degree attic, "suppose there's no chance of a cup of tea?"

"Can't you see I'm busy!!!!!!!!!!!!" :* << (just like her, that.)

[email protected]@dy getting old sucks.

GrumpyOldFart
3rd Sep 2010, 23:39
I'm nearly seventeen.

Celsius.

:uhoh:

corsair
4th Sep 2010, 00:21
Rivets, it's true. My Mother is the last remaining grandparent. My boys never met the others. But there is an instinct with them. They know their nanny. We live a long way away and don't see her that much. But they walk in the door of her house and we the parents cease to have any input into their lives. Nanny takes centre stage. There has to be an evolutionary aspect to it.

ExSp33db1rd
4th Sep 2010, 06:10
Getting out of the car at the Supermarket the other day, the lady ( lady ? ) parking in the next space said ... " close your door, darling ( to her little daughter, I might add ) so that Old Man can get out of his car "

Grrrr:*

ExS. ( 76 in a week - not happy)

I told my Dad I wanted to be a Pilot when I grew up. You can't do both, Son, he replied.

Why can one never find a passing 5 year old to help when the mobile phone starts to ring ?

merlinxx
4th Sep 2010, 06:53
Age is when Oddbins deliver for free:ok: Cragganmore Malt & Angostura 1919 rum:E:ok:

Solar
4th Sep 2010, 07:11
My mates dad has just turned 100 on the 31st Aug.
For his 98th I took him for a run in a seaplane, the day after he got out of hospital after a cataract operation. We were doing some step taxying on Lough Eske when reached forward and tapped me on the shoulder and asked "what speed are we doing now son", sort of made my day.

Capt Claret
4th Sep 2010, 08:24

Mrs C is five years my senior and I daren't suggest she's old. Therefore I don't feel old either. :}

Tankertrashnav
4th Sep 2010, 08:55
I see that one or two famous singers who were a few years older than me when I was a teenager are now a year or two younger than me. Never actually notice the point when they pass me on the way down, though!

gingernut
4th Sep 2010, 09:44
Recently got a bus into Newquay with my mother& father in law, and my grandson. It was only I who had to pay.

Seems if you few teeth, fewer hairs on your head, talk in gurgles, and are doubly incontinent, you get free bus travel:}

goudie
4th Sep 2010, 10:50
[email protected]@dy getting old sucks.

Not half as much as not growing old.

Every day above the ground's a bonus, especially when you've seen off
the 'Big C':ok:

seacue
4th Sep 2010, 11:14
A fellow in the local "Senior Living" apartments will be driving his bright yellow 1966 Corvair convertible in the Labor Day parade this coming Monday. He's a few months short of his 91st birthday. The local US Congressman usually rides on or walks beside the car in the parade.

Another resident finally gave up driving into downtown Washington, DC, to the symphony concerts a couple of years ago. He was 98 at the time. He's over 100 now and still gets around on his own feet.

Amazing people.

Cacophonix
4th Sep 2010, 11:22
Hey look I am eighty six and this is my girlfriend Shandy... she's 24!

Let me die a youngman's death
not a clean and inbetween
the sheets holywater death
not a famous-last-words
peaceful out of breath death

When I'm 73
and in constant good tumour
may I be mown down at dawn
by a bright red sports car
on my way home
from an allnight party

Or when I'm 91
with silver hair
and sitting in a barber's chair
may rival gangsters
with hamfisted tommyguns burst in
and give me a short back and insides

Or when I'm 104
and banned from the Cavern
may my mistress
catching me in bed with her daughter
and fearing for her son
cut me up into little pieces
and throw away every piece but one

Let me die a youngman's death
not a free from sin tiptoe in
candle wax and waning death
not a curtains drawn by angels borne
'what a nice way to go' death

R McGough

Fantome
4th Sep 2010, 13:25
Sitting killing time in the boss's seaplane at a most pleasant country estuary restaurant dock eating the cut lunch not so long ago a lad of seven or eight wandered
by with his companion of a similar age. " Is that the pilot?" says the first youngster in a stage whisper to the other . . . . "Gees . . . . he looks OLD " So I lent out the door and said to him
to his embarrassment "And how old might you be ?" "S..s.seven" he replied.

"Well I'm seventy . . . .. and I hope I see you back here one sunny day when you are twenty seven. Can you work out how old I will be then?"

"No I can't do that maths . . .. . . but you look like my grand dad who was in the navy . .. my dad calls him The Ancient Mariner." (What can you say?)

Lot to be said for growing old disgracefully. And lamenting the demise of any poor soul who dies an old maid in the garret.

Economics101
4th Sep 2010, 14:33
Went into a pub for lunch with the Owner 3 years ago and the bill seemed very modest: we had go a special Pensioners’ discount without asking for it (as we were under age). I had a laugh: the Owner was not so chuffed though.

Storminnorm
4th Sep 2010, 14:44
Had both daughters and 3 grandsons hanging around the place
last week. Nice to see them all. Nice to see them all go home.
Back to the peace and quiet one is accustomed to.(Apart from the
dramas with the granddaughter, who lives here.)

goudie
5th Sep 2010, 12:41
Went to make a phone call. Pressing digits, no sound coming forth. I've only picked up the bloody TV 'remote' and tried dialing a number:confused::confused:

Sometimes I've found myself, having just locked the car remotely, pointing the car key at the front door and pressing the button:confused::confused::confused:

Come on, own up!

oldbaldeagle
5th Sep 2010, 15:20
I was going to own up, er whatever your name is, but I've forgotten what to.:{

Blacksheep
6th Sep 2010, 08:50
"suppose there's no chance of a cup of tea?"

"Can't you see I'm busy!!!!!!!!!!!!" http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/bah.gif << (just like her, that.)
As I said on the TRAB, had a spiffing time with the grandchildren at the weekend. Nothing frustrates a "Nana" more than a Grandad who likes playing in the mud, or showing the "little ones" how to make and operate a Tarzan Swing, improve fireworks or do wheelies on a motor bike.

Pull yourself together man, and be a proper Grandad. :=

Fantome
6th Sep 2010, 10:26
What can you say when they (the killjoys) say to you "Act your age!" . . . . . what age are you talking about? Do you say to an infant "Act your age" . . . Do you say say to the old fella in the nursing home flirting gleefully irrepressibly with the opposite sex . . . "Act your age!" . . . . . "Go and stand in the corner!" ??

Molemot
6th Sep 2010, 10:47
Years back, when I was being an Immigration Officer, I encountered J**n C*ll*ns...with her proper cardboard blue passport. She had, quite obviously, altered her date of birth.....