PDA

View Full Version : Why Don't We Have People Of This Calibre Today?

R J Kinloch
3rd Sep 2010, 04:38
100 Years ago and he was a Republican!

http://www.theodore-roosevelt.com/images/research/speeches/trnationalismspeech.pdf

BlueWolf
3rd Sep 2010, 08:22
There's no call for that sort of thing anymore. People nowadays want their politicians weak, insipid, lying, corrupt, self-serving and hypocritical.
:hmm:

CargoMatatu
3rd Sep 2010, 08:31
It would be "politically incorrect" in this day and age (and probably in breach of elf'n'safety regulations)! :ugh:

R J Kinloch
3rd Sep 2010, 10:29
Oh you are so cynical:\

Gainesy
3rd Sep 2010, 11:52
You've met Bliar then, Blue?:)

corsair
3rd Sep 2010, 12:18
He'd never be elected today and that's the problem. People of that calibre do exist but they seek their glory elsewhere these days.

MagnusP
3rd Sep 2010, 12:20
Someone else of calibre. Warning: aviation content.

BBC News - Veteran returns to RAF Leuchars after 67 years (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11168230)

SASless
3rd Sep 2010, 12:54
I have always admired Teddy....and especially hold his speech on "Americanism" to be very much to the point....especially today!

One thing I got out of the speech posted below....suggests the current occupier of the White House ought to keep his bags packed.

A broken promise is bad enough in private life. It is worse in the field of politics. No man is worth his salt in public life who makes on the stump a pledge which he does not keep after election; and, if he makes such a pledge and does not keep it, hunt him out of public life.

tony draper
3rd Sep 2010, 13:46
Me favorite POTUS was Teddy,he was a man's man, ere I mean that in the good way.
:)Hmmm, though some would say my admiration is no recomendation as my favorite King is Richard III.
:uhoh:

Storminnorm
3rd Sep 2010, 13:59
SASless. If all politicians HAD to stick by everything they promise,
or resign, there wouldn't be any left in Parliament.

I'll wait until Blair's book is being sold in Oxfam.
Should be a bit cheaper then.

RJM
3rd Sep 2010, 14:27
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly.

So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt, "Man in the Arena" speech, April 23, 1910

What more can you say?

MagnusP
3rd Sep 2010, 14:41
I'll wait until Blair's book is being sold in Oxfam.
Should be a bit cheaper then.

As Private Eye observed today, it's cost some people an arm and a leg. :(

Storminnorm
3rd Sep 2010, 14:43
OOoo EEeerrrr!
Don't think I'll bother then.

Loose rivets
3rd Sep 2010, 17:53
Leon Lederman was using a huge gun barrel for some experiments involving accelerating particles. The skinny bloke that polished the inside of the barrel resigned.

"Oh, no! Where are we going to get another man of that caliber?"

From "The God Particle."

skyfish2
3rd Sep 2010, 19:58
Hi storminnorm

heard from a mate in london that you can get it in a pound shop off totenham court road,along witha six pack of bog rolls,(much softer on the hems) than the book:E