PDA

View Full Version : Pain in top of foot when operating rudder pedals in a 152

duxfordflyer
2nd Sep 2010, 11:50
Hello, have a few hours under my belt now doing a PPL in a Cessna-152 but I have notices that sometimes I get bad cramp in the top of my foot, opposite the ankle, at the bottom of the tibia. It isn't affecting the flying it annoying none the less, I was wondering if anyone had any soultions to this problem as it must have affected others in the past. Is the key better seat adjustment? If this is so, what is the correct adjustment (is there a rule such as how you would measure a new bike, ski's or is it a matter of trial and error). I am inclined to think that this may be the cause of the pain, but every time I hop (clamber) into the cessna, it is difficult to remember what seat settings had worked previously.

Thanks,

mad_jock
2nd Sep 2010, 13:25
If you are wearing boots loosen the laces off or change to a pair of trainers/shoes.

Now are you sitting with your feet up on the pedals or are you resting your heels on the floor?

Best way to set the seat is to get some nice person to press on the tail and then to extend you leg to the full travel of the rudder including applying the brake then set it so your leg is at full extension at this point. Then remember how far back the seat is in relation to some other fixed point in the cockpit. You need to do this cause you can't be getting someone lifting the nose wheel everytime you get in one.