PDA

View Full Version : Life must really suck when you jump from the 39th floor and live

con-pilot
1st Sep 2010, 22:56
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...cide-attempt/1

You can't pay for this kind of advertising: A suicide attempt in New York was foiled by the strength of a Dodge Charger.

The New York Daily News says 22-year-old Thomas Magill jumped 39 stories from a West Side apartment building, and ended up landing in the back of a red 2008 Dodge Charger. He broke both of his legs and is in critical condition, but survived the fall.

He crashed through the back window and landed in the trunk.
One could argue the story is a great quality story for the Charger -- it certainly must meet roof crush standards.

"He had his hands up in the air, like flailing," witness Andrew Petrocelli told the Daily News. "The car saved his life ... He landed in there like a stunt man. It was amazing."

But car owner Guy McCormack, a construction worker who was across the street when the crash occurred, gave credit to someone else: God.
He dug a set of crystal rosary beads from out of the car and said, "Here's what saved him!"

Stolen totally from another website. ;)

notmyC150v2
1st Sep 2010, 23:01
Wow. Now that is what I call a second chance.

If it was financial problems at the core of his misery I think he can safely kiss them goodbye from here in. The law suit against Dodge for his injuries should set him up for life. :}:}

Lonewolf_50
1st Sep 2010, 23:02
I am not sure if it is tragic, or funny ...

1. My life is a failure.
2. I have failed at all I have tried
3. I think I'll kill myself.
4. Failed at that.
5. That's depressing
6. I am now depressed.
7. Go to Line 1. :(

Checkboard
1st Sep 2010, 23:10
If he was "flailing his arms", it sounds like he changed his mind passing the 15th floor or so anyway ... :E

notmyC150v2
2nd Sep 2010, 00:10
You know they say that 95% of people who commit suicide by jumping change their mind half way down.

The other 5% die of a heart attack before they get that far.:}:}:}

BlueWolf
2nd Sep 2010, 00:15
Stolen totally from another website.

You use ANOTHER website??

:ooh::eek::{

Checkboard
2nd Sep 2010, 00:27
There ARE other websites? :confused: :eek:

gingernut
2nd Sep 2010, 00:50
Don't know if anyone has ever seen a film about jumpers from a bridge in San Francisco, (think it was called "The Bridge."). It documents some similar stories, a few jumpers (who survived) were interviewd, and said that the first thing that went through their head, was that they wished they hadn't done it.

tony draper
2nd Sep 2010, 01:17
It used to be regarded as a serious crime commiting suicide in this country, one could be sent to jail for life or even hanged,
I kid you not.
:uhoh:

Neptunus Rex
2nd Sep 2010, 03:21
Shouldn't the crime be 'attempted suicide,' Drapes?

Loose rivets
2nd Sep 2010, 18:00
Then there was the man that accidentally fell.

"So far so good!" He cried, as he passed the second floor. :p

Tankertrashnav
2nd Sep 2010, 18:03
Talking of which I wonder when they stopped insisting on unconsecrated ground for burying suicides? I was asked to research a World War 2 casualty once, the family said that a relative had died in mysterious circumstances and they wondered if he had been on a secret mission. Turned out the guy was buried in the unconsecrated plot of a cemetery in the Midlands, and had obviously committed suicide.

I told the family I hadn't been able to find out anything, and that the details were probably still covered by the 75 year rule, or somesuch. Seemed a harmless lie in the circumstances.

27mm
2nd Sep 2010, 18:29
Brings to mind that scene from "The Untouchables", after Elliot Ness has "helped" Frank Nitti fall off the roof of the Court Building. Nitti crashes fatally onto a parked car. Some guy asks Ness where Nitti has gone - Ness replies "He's in the car..."

tony draper
2nd Sep 2010, 19:34
hmmm,39 stories,that would be about 400 feet?,32 feet per second squared? that still works out at a lot of thinking time,why do they go for height? when 60 feet would get the job done, anyway I think the pills and vodka route is the one I would opt for,or the nice warm bath and razor to the left wrist and a bottle of vodka of course.
:)

gingernut
2nd Sep 2010, 20:49
Talking of which I wonder when they stopped insisting on unconsecrated ground for burying suicides? I was asked to research a World War 2 casualty once, the family said that a relative had died in mysterious circumstances and they wondered if he had been on a secret mission. Turned out the guy was buried in the unconsecrated plot of a cemetery in the Midlands, and had obviously committed suicide

Interesting twist was the small recorded suicide verdicts on those from the catholic faith.

Supportive religion or sympathetic coroner?

charliegolf
2nd Sep 2010, 21:08
Supportive religion or sympathetic coroner?

Interesting thought, Gingernut. Not seeing a coroner manipulating verdicts though. Nor the Catholics being particularly supportive for that matter!

CG

tony draper
2nd Sep 2010, 21:28
HistoricalLy didn't suicides have to be buried at the Crossroads along with Witches and such?:uhoh:

Sir George Cayley
2nd Sep 2010, 21:41
I think you'll find Crossroads would not wish their garden filled up with coffins. What would Meg say?

SGC

Fitchin coert in a Brummie accent

Cacophonix
2nd Sep 2010, 23:57
Nonsense, Don Marquis would disagree! ;)

Archy and Mehitabel (http://www.donmarquis.com/archy/)

Try jumping from the 100th story as a cockroach. You get blown straight up again!

A New York City (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City) poet named Archy (Eddie Bracken (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Bracken)) attempts suicide only to come back as a cockroach (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockroach).

Hydromet
3rd Sep 2010, 00:10
Rheumatologist friend has a patient who is permanently disabled as a result of being landed on by an attempted suicide. She cushioned his fall, he survived without any permanent injury.

Solar
3rd Sep 2010, 07:28
Friend of mine who is a second hand car dealer had a guy working for him that had failed to commit suicide. He had jumped of a bridge over a tidal river (Foyle) at lowtide and consequently ended buried head first in the mud, extremely lucky that someone had seen him jump and he was pulled out before he suffecated. My mate said that when he started working for me I used to watch him valeting the cars and wonder what was going through his head when he jumped. So eventually the mate asked him and he replied, I don't know what I was thinking when I got on the bridge rail but I remember thinking as I stepped off " I wish to f**k I hadn't done that". Which is as honest an answer as any.

alisoncc
3rd Sep 2010, 07:55
Poeple always seem to get this wrong. It is NOT the fall that kills you. It's the sudden stop at the end.

Parapunter
3rd Sep 2010, 07:57
Not far from here is Beachy Head. 2nd most popular spot in the world after the Golden Gate for orfing oneself. In fact so much so that the phonebox is plastered in Samaritans ad & the pub landlord is trained by same.

Years ago, one of my lorry drivers gassed himself in the car. turned out his misuss had run off with another man. I can still remember that week, where I was dealing with the guy everyday & not an inkling of the turmoil he must have been suffering. I always think that outside of a painful, terminal illness, tomorrow is always another day, filled with possibility.