PDA

View Full Version : Whiz wheel were do you......

Tim8416
1st Sep 2010, 13:48
....buy one please. Our dear leader and PPL instructor has informed my youngest youth of today he NEEDS, I say NEEDs at my expense, bless, a Whiz Wheel. :eek:

So onto the net I go and I see many have thoughts opinions and expressions of hate towards a Whiz Wheel. To me with no knowledge of flying, its plan your route, know where you are going and are there any masts or hills in the way but what the heck do I know, clearly nothing.

So great pilots of PPRUNE where do you buy one, whats the most loved and how much.

Kind regards and thank you.

An ever getting poorer father :):}

markp123
1st Sep 2010, 14:43
Pooleys or AFE I would suggest as good places for purchasing one online.

It depends what your son is aiming to do, if it is just a PPL for recreational purposes then a CRP1 flight computer is plenty sufficient. About £40-£50 ?

If he is going on to do further flying, which I'd guess he is, then investing in a CRP5 or similar is worthwhile. About £70 for that.

Other types out there, but just used those as examples as they've what I have used.

Tim8416
1st Sep 2010, 14:48
Thank you

Tim

Nearly There
1st Sep 2010, 15:34
I sold a CRP1 on ebay recently, went for around £18 I think, but the advice above is good, if he intends on the commercial stuff then a CRP5 is needed for the ground school (more functions) but can also be used for the PPL sylabus to, so just one purchase for your wallet!:ok:

Tinstaafl
1st Sep 2010, 19:48
And if the UK and its instructors weren't so wedded to the cumbersome piece of crap that is entrenched in the UK, you could get a Jeppessen CR type for about US$30. Smaller, at least as accurate (if not more so, in my experience) and some exam problems require fewer steps to solve.

MIKECR
1st Sep 2010, 20:38
Indeed....the CRP should be granted its rightful place in some museum of navigation of by gone days! Ironically however...if you need to pass a PPL then you need to ask Santa for at least a CRP1......or if you need to do CPL then you'll need a CRP5:confused: Unfortunately the powers at be at the CAA Gatwick Towers Belgrano still see the CRP 1/5 as the tool of choice for sitting Nav exams!! No doubt CAA Heights is still staffed by relics of World War 2 Bomber Command....!!:}