PDA

View Full Version : obtaining both fixed wing and chopper licenses??

Clintonb
1st Sep 2010, 05:51
Has anybody got both licenses ATPL fixed wing and ATPL chopper frozen or not doesn't matter.
just want to know if anyone has got both. how did you go about obtaining both of them and how do you keep them current.

did you do fixed wing first got the hours and then went and did the ATPL (H)?

Thanks for your time
safe flying

Whirlygig
1st Sep 2010, 06:41
Of the pilots who have both (and I'll assume you mean ATPL rather than CPL/IR with ATPL theory) the vast majority would have come from military flying via bridging conversion.

There are a very few job roles that require both but mostly helicopter flying is helicopter flying and fixed wing is fixed wing. :}

Cheers

Whirls

n5296s
1st Sep 2010, 07:00
Somewhat off topic but...

mostly helicopter flying is helicopter flying and fixed wing is fixed wing

Can you tell me when helicopter flying is fixed wing or vice versa? It would certainly create some excitement when it happens... you pull the flap handle and suddenly start zooming up at 1000 ft/min? Or retract the flaps and sink like a stone as you autorotate...?

( :-) )

Plank Cap
1st Sep 2010, 07:48
Quite a few of the UK ex-North Sea guys and (maybe) girls have done the rotary and fixed wing career thing, from the 70's onwards. But as Whirlygig says, it tends to be one or the other, due to the complexities, cost and sometimes employer restrictions of keeping both licences alive.

I have the S76, Bell 206, Airbus 320, Boeing 757 and Boeing 777 on my licences, but have to admit to being only remotely current (and even less competent...!) on one of these aircraft today. Many people have more types than this within the UK system. The head invites me to fly fixed wing, the heart makes me fly rotary..............

Floppy Link
1st Sep 2010, 08:41
Got both. Route went like this:

PPL
IMC
Twin
Night
RAF helicopter
BCPL
IR
CPL
ATPL(H)
Left RAF
AS355/BN2 job
ATPL(A)
F27 job
B757/767 job
got bored
EC135 job
IR(H)

Like Plank Cap, loads of ratings (SEP, MEP, BN2T, F27, B757/767, R22, B206, AS355, EC135), but only one is current, although I'm renewing SEP in a few weeks.

paco
1st Sep 2010, 12:00
Of the AC/DC people around, you often find masses of helicopter or fixed wing time, and only hundreds of the other - there are relatively few with thousands of hours on both - there was a time when I was current on 6 types, but it's very difficult these days - I believe three is the maximum now, and they must be similar.

I found the biggest problem was getting enough hours to be employable - it took twice as long!

Phil

Unhinged
1st Sep 2010, 12:32
I'm guessing you're in the UK, so not sure if my experience is relevant, but yes I have ATPL(A) and ATPL(H), both in full. Strictly a self-funded civilian pilot; paid for everything that's in my licence, and have no fairy godmother or secret cash inheritance from the family ! I also have two Grade 1 Instructor ratings (sorry, not sure what the equivalent is in UK/Europe), and all licences and ratings are current and being actively used. I flew aeroplanes for 10 years before the opportunity to fly helicopters arrived, and have been flying both for the last 10 years.

At the moment I work as a instructor on both categories. In aeroplanes I teach absolutely everything, but with an emphasis on multi-engine IFR because there aren't that many instructors in my part of the world who can do that. I teach helicopters for a different company, doing mainly CPL and initial turbine training. Any spare flying time is taken up with helicopter charter flights.

I have a couple of thousand hours on each category of aircraft, all in GA. I wouldn't change it for the world - The variety is brilliant. Don't get caught up with the nay-sayers who say it's dangerous to switch back and forth. Safety is an attitude, in this as in everything else.

However, I would certainly be wealthier if I'd chosen one path and stuck with it. Keeping the ratings current is not too hard because I'm instructing, but the sheer cost of getting here is unjustifiable, and something that no rational person would do. But GA flying is the domain of the passionate, not the rationalists.

Wizzard
1st Sep 2010, 16:24
Repeat after me "Helicopter, helicopter NOT CHOPPER!:=

I thank you:ok:

pilotmike
2nd Sep 2010, 10:00
Has anybody got both licenses ATPL fixed wing and ATPL chopper frozen or not doesn't matter.
just want to know if anyone has got both.
Yes.
how did you go about obtaining both of them and how do you keep them current.
Rock up to a fixed wing school, learn fixed wing.
Rock up to a HELICOPTER school, learn rotary.
Keep flying both. Keep passing LPCs.
did you do fixed wing first got the hours and then went and did the ATPL (H)?
Yes, if I've deciphered your question correctly.

fijdor
2nd Sep 2010, 13:20
Totally agree on the "helicopter" NOT "chopper"

Have both licenses, started on helicopters and got my fixed wing license 3 years after while working as a helicopter Pilot.

JD

Clintonb
7th Sep 2010, 19:02
thanks to every one for the information has helped me a lot. i guess ill do fixed wing first as its cheaper than helicopters (not Choppers :O ) and do that for few years as ill really need to save before i even think of going into helicopters straight plus ive heard few people doing fixed wing first obtaining the skills needed for the skys and plus its cheaper and easier than going first to helicopters. after obtaining their ATPL they then went into helicopters doing their ATPL in less time then you need to do if you had to go into it at the beginning of your flying adventure.

but then theres another question which one do you prefer spoken to a few pilots that have both licenses themselves most of them did fixed wing first and fly for airlines. airlines is their career and helicopters is a weekend thing working for charter companies, instructing or taking the family for a spin they enjoy both fixed wing because they get the long range out of fixed wing aircraft talking about learjets and gulfstreams now but they like the helicopters because its great to take the family out to near by places and not have to worry about runways plus for site seeing such as patrolling the coast lines for whales and dolphins is great fun.

so what do you guys prefer or maybe this would be better to ask yourself and make it easier to answer. if it had to come to a point in time where you had to give one up which one would it be?????

hope everyone had a great weekend and enjoy the rest of your week..
Thanks again

Sir Niall Dementia
8th Sep 2010, 08:18
I've got both, started on a stiff wing and then went rotary. These days I stay current on both as I'm required to fly both by my boss.

In my spare time its a vintage motor glider or an Evans VP1 to keep myself reasonably sane.

paco
8th Sep 2010, 14:20
I started off on helicopters, then Her Maj invited me to fly the Beaver, which was a real privilege and something I miss to this day. For a while I managed to keep the hours even on both sides, but now helicopters have outstripped the planks by a couple of thousand hours. Everything is still current, though.

Which one do I prefer? It depends on what it is. Marginally, overall, it has to be helicopters, particularly the 212 or the 47, or the Gazelle, but I'd rather fly a Cessna than a 22 any day of the week.

Phil