PDA

View Full Version : R/T America

PAPI 32
1st Sep 2010, 00:05
Hi all, I've just started out in Goodyear with OAA working towards the CPL, I've had only one lesson and have already noticed how different the R/T is out here in America compared to the UK. I just wanted to know is it normal in America to just change frequency without getting a hand over, noticed the instructor just going from Ground to Tower and then to the training area frequency without requesting a frequency change. Neither did he do the entire slur of the routing when we came back from our flight, just our position, altitude, ATIS info and intentions. It all seems so much more relaxed than UK rules and regs!

pitot_noob
1st Sep 2010, 13:51
Yes, that is normal.
The RT is very relaxed out there and will get you into a lot of bad habits. That is why with OAA, you do the RT exam when you get back to Oxford during the IR phase.

I remember one experienced PPLer getting marked down in a PT, due to the use of the word Wilco in a circuit at GYR.

Have fun out there, you will look back on it with very fond memories!
And make sure you go tubing!

mcgoo
1st Sep 2010, 16:08
I remember one experienced PPLer getting marked down in a PT, due to the use of the word Wilco in a circuit at GYR.

Why was that?

pitot_noob
1st Sep 2010, 16:46
Sorry,
Bad habit was the wrong word.

I meant it makes the transition back to the UK RT (which may well be new for the int. guys) a little harder due to different practices and terms.
But, having a read of cap 413 is the easy solution to that.

And no idea why the chap was marked down - I just remember him saying it was brought up in his debrief.

Interesting q: Is "Wilco" used in the US? I can't say I remember hearing it!

B2N2
1st Sep 2010, 17:54
Couple of differences with Europe;
For one, there is no formal RT schooling or classes, you learn from your instructor, good or bad.
Guidance can be found in the AIM.Aeronautical Information Manual (http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim/)

Some very good training CD's are available, namely the COMM1 series.
They have everything from radio calls at non-towered airports to Class B transition. Available at your local pilot shop.
And yes, WILCO is used, I use it all the time....:ok::ok: