PDA

View Full Version : Laurent Fignon RIP

wiggy
31st Aug 2010, 16:06
Sad news, especially to the lycra wearing community. This will come as no great surprise to those who watched and heard "The Professor" commenting on the TdF on French TV this summer.

Laurent Fignon, 50 ans, est mort (http://www.leparisien.fr/sports/laurent-fignon-50-ans-est-mort-31-08-2010-1049726.php)

Storminnorm
31st Aug 2010, 16:16
A very sad loss. And so young,(Compared to me.)

Rollingthunder
31st Aug 2010, 16:25
I don't like these threads, when i pop clogs, ignore it, not that you will ever know except from lack of postings.

SpringHeeledJack
31st Aug 2010, 18:10
Wow, that's way too young to die, but when there's no more time on the meter....

He really was different than most of the cyclists of his era, that is personality wise, as though he came from a different socio-economic group and had different thoughts and values. He will be remembered for losing the Tour de France by 8 seconds to Greg LeMond in 198-something, but he also won the race twice beating the great Bernard Hinault into the bargain. So many scrotes get to live longer, what a shame :(

RIP LF

SHJ

Hydromet
31st Aug 2010, 22:18
Sad to hear. So many TdeF riders & champions have died young from causes not obviously related to any possible drugtaking or the sport. Coppi, Anquetil & Pantani come to mind. I remember reading that the average life span of TdeF riders was somewhere in their mid 50's - may or may not be true.

wiggy
31st Aug 2010, 23:37
I don't like these threads, when i pop clogs, ignore it, not that you will ever know except from lack of postings.

It's a while since you posted - just wondering - you OK?

...will be remembered for losing the Tour de France by 8 seconds to Greg LeMond in 198-something, but he also won the race twice beating the great Bernard Hinault into the bargain

Both were interviewed this evening during French TV news's extensive coverage. Greg LeMonde is kicking himself that he drafted an e-mail to Fignon last week but never sent it, Bernard Hinault can't get the image of him presenting an honary combativity award to Fignon on the TdF podium a few weeks ago out of his head...anyone who knew the circumstances and witnessed that presentation, even remotely, via TV, would have to have had a heart of stone not to have got a little dust in their eyes on seeing that.

Fignon was working on French TV up to around three weeks ago. Everyone, co-workers and viewers alike, knew darn well he was ill and that his days were probably numbered, but we all hoped that somehow he'd cheat fate. Sadly it was not to be.

Tyres O'Flaherty
1st Sep 2010, 00:36
Hydromet, not to argue too much, but as I remember it Marco P fell into a bit of a charlie habit & died O/D.

Think the thing that started the slide for him was being hit by a car leaving a bad leg break...

Fignon though, rotten luck, & I'm sure I've read somewhere that doing a major tour takes a year or two of your lifex.

I was quite happy to stick to short distance T/T meself :-0

wiggy
1st Sep 2010, 01:08
as I remember it Marco P fell into a bit of a charlie habit & died O/D.

He did.

There's a lot of evidence that the out and out "grimpeurs", the likes of Charly Gaul, Marco P and Robert Millar seem to have real problems adjusting to life after pro cycling. Those guys learnt to suffer so to speak..maybe returning to Earth was a bit much.

(At best I can just about manage a TdF Cat 1 climb on a very good day so there's no chance of me going doollally......BTW have I told about my pet fish Gerald?) .

Hydromet
1st Sep 2010, 02:46
I stand corrected. I thought he died of a heart attack. Should have checked.