PDA

View Full Version : The North Atlantic Current is Gone!

22 Degree Halo
30th Aug 2010, 20:55
Here is today's scare-mongering story::ok:

The latest satellite data establishes that the North Atlantic Current (also called the North Atlantic Drift) no longer exists and along with it the Norway Current. These two warm water currents are actually part of the same system that has several names depending on where in the Atlantic Ocean it is. The entire system is a key part of the planet's heat regulatory system; it is what keeps Ireland and the United Kingdom mostly ice free and the Scandinavia countries from being too cold; it is what keeps the entire world from another Ice Age. This Thermohaline Circulation System is now dead in places and dying in others.

:{:{

rgbrock1
30th Aug 2010, 21:01
We're all gonna freeze to death.

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE.

(lions and tigers and bears, oh my.)

vulcanised
30th Aug 2010, 21:03
Better send someone out to look for it.

Nominations?

rgbrock1
30th Aug 2010, 21:04
Nominations?

Obama?

G-CPTN
30th Aug 2010, 21:09
It'll be OK once the global warming kicks in . . .

tony draper
Been warning pruners of his for the last decade,the ice is coming back the Fimbvinter will shortly be upon us, but would they listen? would they f.....
We must start pouring co2 into the atmosphere or we are all doomed.:uhoh:

lomapaseo
Heat flows downhill

So what cold spot got warmer to account for the missing warm currents, or are we to believe that earth has reached a balance until the next real big erruption?

If the norwegians and Finns have secretly piped off more than they deserve we need to invade them straight away and take back what is ours.

Lon More
30th Aug 2010, 21:41
Been on the cards for years.
If nothing else it might make illegal imigrants from Africa decide to go home

tony draper
30th Aug 2010, 21:48
I hope not, we are going to need Africa for ourselves.:uhoh:

22 Degree Halo
30th Aug 2010, 21:55
Full "story" is here as the link gets busted when trying to post it:

Substitute the * for an l :hmm:

http://europebusines.b*ogspot.com/

Lonewolf_50
30th Aug 2010, 22:01
The North Atlantic Current is Gone! (http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/425778-north-atlantic-current-gone.html#post5902553)

Sorry, I dozed off during second semester Electrical Engineering ... is North Atlantic Current anything like Alternating Current or Direct Current? Also, my notes got smudged with mostly drool and some tobacco juice, does the North Atlantic Current follow Right Hand rule for current flow, while South Atlantic Current follows Left hand Rule? No wonder the radios didn't work very well off of Cape Horn, we were still using North Atlantic Current! (Yes, it was a couple of decades ago, but the I still hear the static in my sleep ... )

And fortheluvofallthatisEdisonAndFranklin, why do those damned electrons flow against the current? What do they think they are, salmon in heat? :confused:

22 Degree Halo
30th Aug 2010, 22:06
BP Oil Spill Stalls Gulf Loop Current: Global Consequences if Current Fails to Reorganize (http://yowusa.com/earth/2010/earth-0810-01a/1.shtml)

HKPAX
30th Aug 2010, 22:08
Och Captain Mainwaring, we're all doomed, doomed I say!!!

Linedog
30th Aug 2010, 22:13
I'm OK, I've got my willy warmer ready! :ok:

Juliet Sierra Papa
30th Aug 2010, 22:25
BP Oil Spill Stalls Gulf Loop Current: Global Consequences if Current Fails to Reorganize (http://redirectingat.com/?id=42X487496&xs=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fyowusa.com%2Fearth%2F2010%2Fearth-0810-01a%2F1.shtml&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pprune.org%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D5902 553%23post5902553)

I don't think you could stall something of that magnitude even with a massive concrete wall never mind a "Relatively thin wall" of surface structure.

But hey, stranger things have happened. :uhoh:

pigboat
30th Aug 2010, 22:28
Ireland and the United Kingdom mostly ice free and the Scandinavia countries from being too cold..
They share the same latitude as Labrador. It's about time they share the Labrador weather. :p

hellsbrink
30th Aug 2010, 22:31
BP Oil Spill Stalls Gulf Loop Current: Global Consequences if Current Fails to Reorganize (http://redirectingat.com/?id=42X487496&xs=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fyowusa.com%2Fearth%2F2010%2Fearth-0810-01a%2F1.shtml&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pprune.org%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D5902 553%23post5902553)

So let me see....

Since the GoM spill didn't cause the ecological and environmental disaster some (like them tree-huggers at yowusa) claimed, BP are now the ones who caused the end of the world?

And it ain't even April 1st!!

hellsbrink
30th Aug 2010, 22:38
It's about time they share the Labrador weather

Can just see that forecast on the BBC

"In the morning the South will be hairy, with Cornwall wagging, before turning to heavy slobber in the afternoon."

mustpost
30th Aug 2010, 23:21
This kind of Labrador weather?

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj9/mustpost/P300509_1513.jpg

Lon More
30th Aug 2010, 23:41
Is that a blind dog?

arcniz
30th Aug 2010, 23:55
Worse yet, all that MEEthane they let escape while dawdling about with their little robot toys has floated up and caused the Sun to EXPLODE!

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/pickoftheweek/old/13aug2010/Diff_blast_med.jpg

(if yer want to see a real example of zero-to-about 4,000,000 mph in a couple of microseconds, check out the mpeg at BP well leak damages Sun (http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/pickoftheweek/old/13aug2010/))

airship
31st Aug 2010, 01:10
If the lab can't see, I hope he/she has a guiding owner. But where's the white cane, without which noone can tell a lab guide dog from any other dog that may need guidance...?!

PS. If the Gulf stream really has stopped flowing, UK pensioners really will need their winter heating benefits to continue to be paid this winter.

pigboat
31st Aug 2010, 01:38
Not Labrador the doggy, Labrador the abominable snowstorm. :ooh:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/graphics/oswego1.jpg

visibility3miles
31st Aug 2010, 03:24
And Russia will have record floods and Pakistan will have a heat wave!!!!!!!!!!

No, wait, I got that backwards. Carry on.

Cardinal Puff
31st Aug 2010, 08:44
Quick! Tax someone...!

That should fix the problem.:rolleyes::hmm:

CathayBrat
31st Aug 2010, 16:00
tony draper - I hope not, we are going to need Africa for ourselves.

Lon More - If nothing else it might make illegal imigrants from Africa decide to go home

Hang on, we left for a reason, and then sent the others up to you guys for a reason.
The reason?
Its a great place to live, but there were to many people. So using all the aid money you chaps very kindly send us, we designed a large pump, with lots of pipe and salt filters, to syphon of the N Atlantic warm waters for us, which we are storing in our many lakes. This enables us to keep our climate at a very nice 25c all year round.
However, we do not want to see all the nice people from the north freeze, so we will start a vetting system for new arrivals. You must be of sound body, hard working and in an HONEST profession. (no politicions need apply).
Those who fail the vetting process will be sent to harvest all the salt from the big filters, and we need an overlord for this job, Mr Drapes?
We will then sell the salt to the big frozen north, to melt the ice.
This is not because we are being friendly, but it will cover the shortfall in Aid money that will surely dry up, untill you are all defrosted enough to carry on paying Aid money again, because out big 4x4's, private jets and luxery houses need work.
So there you go, all explained.
Regards
African Despot
AKA Cathaybrat

tony draper
31st Aug 2010, 16:12
Nah,if the ice comes again one shall return to the Islands and go back into the copra trade,still got me dirty white linen suit with the special gordons gin and webley pockets.
:)

rgbrock1
31st Aug 2010, 18:13
Is the North Atlantic current 120V AC or 220V AC?

hellsbrink
31st Aug 2010, 18:35
Neither, RGB, it only goes one way so that means it's DC.

Also means that, since it's stopped, some bugger for got to use Duracells/Energizers

Bruce Wayne
31st Aug 2010, 19:04
so is global warming over ?

green granite
31st Aug 2010, 19:22
so is global warming over ?

Probably the next call will be "Come on guys, burn as much fossil fuel as you can to prevent an ice age". :ok:

Pugilistic Animus
31st Aug 2010, 20:46
I blame Obama:}:}:}

rgbrock1
31st Aug 2010, 21:24
I blame George W. Bush. Seems the en vogue thing to do, no? :}:p

hellsbrink
31st Aug 2010, 21:43
Seems the en vogue thing to do, no?

Depends. In the UK they stopped blaming Bliar and now blame the one eyed Scottish idiot, Mandelgimp, Harperson, et al.

Of course, there is the other option, and that's to steal a headline from a redragtop newspaper....

"It was the Sun wot done it!"

G-CPTN
31st Aug 2010, 21:49
I'm old enough to remember when weather was blamed on the H-bomb tests . . .

goudie
31st Aug 2010, 21:57
I'm surprised the filthy French haven't been mentioned yet. They must have a hand in it shurley. Have they diverted it into the Bay of Biscay, I wonder?

aviate1138
1st Sep 2010, 06:22
G-CPTN
"I'm old enough to remember when weather was blamed on the H-bomb tests . . ."

Spot on.
My mother and her cronies almost every coffee morning could be heard uttering " I tell you, it's the Atom!" whenever the weather was not comfortable, snow/rain/hot sun/wind etc.

Now it's CO2. A lot less explosive but as a solution to a non existent problem, inane.

Fool's Gold, South Sea Bubble, Tulip Trading, Witches, Dragons, Scientology [or any religion] and not forgetting Al Gore :rolleyes:

Nemrytter
1st Sep 2010, 07:17
Spot on.
My mother and her cronies almost every coffee morning could be heard uttering " I tell you, it's the Atom!" whenever the weather was not comfortable, snow/rain/hot sun/wind etc.

Now it's CO2. A lot less explosive but as a solution to a non existent problem, inane.

Difference is, with the atom bomb the public was saying "it's the bombs!" and the scientific community was saying that the bombs had no effect.
With CO2, on the other hand, the scientific community (and most of the public) are saying "it's the CO2!" whilst a, usually scientifically illiterate, minority of the public are saying that CO2 has no effect. :E

green granite
1st Sep 2010, 08:06
With CO2, on the other hand, the scientific community (and most of the public)

That might be true in your land Simonpro but here in the UK only about 25% of adults are believers.

Nemrytter
1st Sep 2010, 08:15
That might be true in your land Simonpro but here in the UK only about 25% of adults are believers.

Whic is a good illustration on the absolutely terrible state of science education in the UK.

green granite
1st Sep 2010, 09:06
Whic is a good illustration on the absolutely terrible state of science education in the UK

Not at all Simonpro, it's more a case of not believing anything that the government tells them especially if they use it to raise taxes and the more people like Greenpeace/FOE/BBC/any other so called greens scream and shout about it they believe even less.

Nemrytter
1st Sep 2010, 09:23
Does that mean you think that the UK has good quality science education?:}

Bruce Wayne
1st Sep 2010, 09:34
simonpro..

But what is bad news for the U.N. climate treaty negotiators is good news for the rest of the world, as a new treaty would be an economically ruinous solution to what is increasingly looking like a non-problem.

At the same time treaty negotiators continue to try to sell the world on a costly new agreement in the midst of an ongoing global recession, the very reason for it—global warming—is proving to be less and less of a threat.

Although U.N. bureaucrats in Bonn ignored growing doubts about the scientific justification for their actions—just as they did in Copenhagen—waning public support is reaching a level where it cannot be ignored.

The skepticism is spreading around the globe. For example, the “climategate” scandal—evidencing gross exaggeration and possibly outright fraud in the very U.N. scientific report that forms the basis of treaty negotiations—has been far more aggressively reported in Europe than in America and has impacted opinion there.

BlueWolf
1st Sep 2010, 09:42
Most of the scientific community used to think the earth was flat, too :rolleyes:

BlueWolf
1st Sep 2010, 09:44
And plate techtonics was a load of rubbish :D

BlueWolf
1st Sep 2010, 09:47
And thalidomide was perfectly safe :=

Nemrytter
1st Sep 2010, 09:52
Bruce Wayne, if I wanted a political discussion then I'd venture into the hamster wheel thread ;)

BlueWolf
1st Sep 2010, 09:52
And powered heavier-than-air flight was impossible.....:ok:

BlueWolf
1st Sep 2010, 09:54
And stomach ulcers were caused by stress :ooh:

Smeagol
1st Sep 2010, 10:11
Warning! Thread Hijack!!!!!!!!

radeng
1st Sep 2010, 10:42
Smeagol,

Isn't hijack what happened to the ocean current?

hellsbrink
1st Sep 2010, 11:50
With CO2, on the other hand, the scientific community (and most of the public) are saying "it's the CO2!" whilst a, usually scientifically illiterate, minority of the public are saying that CO2 has no effect.

Ahh, back to the usual tactics of insulting those who disagree with you, I see.

Explain how most of the "believers" are the ones with poor education, are the ones who refuse to even contemplate that the stories they read in the Sun, Mirror, Star, etc (if they can see past the nipples in the ragtops they "read", if said ragtops have nipples in them) may be wrong as "It's in the paper so it must be true". They are the ones whose long term memory goes back as far as last week's Eastenders or what someone did on Big Brother, they do not have any interest in actually looking up anything that means they have to move out of their "comfort zone" and actually think for themselves so will believe any old tosh, especially if visual images like polar bears are falsely linked to scare stories and the Gummint says it's true.

However, those who do have some knowledge about things do actually learn about things, they do actually do some research, they make their own decisions based on the things they find. And as the whole IPCC house of cards starts to fall down as the lies are exposed more of those educated people are asking questions and seeing through the lies. But what should be worrying Alarmists like yourself even more is that the redtops are reporting the lies, and that means those who previously believed the lies are not behaving like the sheep they once were and are now asking questions too. The "minority" you talk about (which wasn't the sort of minority you think but was only those who actually did some research themselves or had enough knowledge to think "han on a minute, that doesn't sound right") is growing into a majority as those who once "believed" change their viewpoint and those who previously didn't give a rodent's rectum now start to realise how much of their taxes has been wasted on such lies and think "Why did we allow this, why are we paying for this!"

So, Simon, please do us all a favour and do not even try to make comments that insinuate that those who disagree with you are somehow poorly educated. You not only insult our intelligence but you actually insult every person on this forum who dares to have an opinion which differs from yours. That is not the sign of an intelligent person, it is a sign of someone who believes they are somehow "superior" to their fellow man and has their head stuck so far up their rectum they can inspect their tonsils. And that is not a good characteristic or trait to show in the company of any person, never mind the company of those who do know what they are talking about.

Ancient Observer
1st Sep 2010, 12:45
If you leave all this climate stuff to a bunch of academics, the academic politics will take over from Science.
My b-i-l was a "distinguished" prof in Uni-world in the States. (Distinguished translates in to bone idle)
His prime concerns were -
1. Travel. Only in either business or First.
2. His next grant.
3. The grant after that.
4. Publishing another book, to get his name better known.
5. Making sure that the research assistants who were doing "his" research didn't lie too much.
6. Travel again.

From all that, he was very clear that Climate Change was the biggest and best thing ever to happen for academics. He had no interest whatsoever in the science, but massive interest in the travel and funds that it generated.

Blacksheep
1st Sep 2010, 13:35
Climate change is real. The evidence that it is taking place is indisputable. The idea that mankind can do anything about it is twaddle. Windmills, electric cars, inventing renewable resources such as bio-fuel - all utter nonsense. Windmills are an inefficient way to generate and distribute electricity.Covering the earth with enough windmills to reduce the "Carbon Footprint" would put eveyone within a few hundred metres of one. Can we say that would have no environmental effect? Electric cars - where does the electricity come from? Oh! I forgot. The bloody windmills. Bio-fuel? How is that renewable? To produce bio-fuel we need land. Cut a few more trees down then. That'll do it. There's no doubt in my mind that its all a scam designed to generate money - more grants for the psuedo-scientists, more income for the industrial barons who will control the process and more taxes for the politicians.

Like the Dutch did in the past, we should be spending our research money on ways to handle the effects of climate changes rather than futile attempts to prevent the climate from doing what it has done ever since earth developed an atmosphere; that's to say, changing. :rolleyes:

radeng
1st Sep 2010, 14:11
Blacksheep,

While agreeing with you, there is a minor point that gets forgotten, viz. the Maunder Minimum. Ignoring solar changes is very head in sand, and that has far more effect. After all, the world was warmer generally in the 12th and 13 th centuries.

Nemrytter
1st Sep 2010, 14:44
Perhaps you should take this into the global warming thread, although the debate in here so far is possibly a little too scientific for there. Hellsbrink excluded, naturally. He'd so hate it if I forgot to insult him.:E

Storminnorm
1st Sep 2010, 14:52
I thought that the Argentinians SANK the Atlantic Conveyer Basil???
(Using Ffrench rockets IIRC?).

Since it has come to pass that the Dutch have been mentioned.
I have NOT seen any reports of the Cloggies frantically building
EXTRA levels on dykes to keep the water out.
Has anyone else? Or are they sneaking out at NIGHT to build up
the sea defences, and hoping that the rest of us don't notice??

Schiphol WAS 4 metres below sea level. What is it now? 5 and rising? (Or Falling?)

Lon More
1st Sep 2010, 15:05
the world was warmer generally in the 12th and 13 th centuries.

I've been saying for years they don't make summers like when i was a lad but everybody just laughed.

Norm it's been a long time since I had a finger in a dyke.
The Dutch AIP gives the elevation at EHAM as -11 feet.

Storminnorm
1st Sep 2010, 15:08
I thought I could smell something Lon.
Go and wash your hands. At once!!

It was 4 metres when I was there Lon.

Bruce Wayne
1st Sep 2010, 15:24
Bio-fuel? How is that renewable? To produce bio-fuel we need land. Cut a few more trees down then.

Meanwhile, major deforestation and the subsequent endangerment to species continues in order to provide the agricultural space to provide for bio-fuels to... errr.. save the environment !

Orangutan habitat in Sumatra and Borneo is being clear-felled at an alarming rate for conversion to oil palm plantations.

On Sumatra there is now more than 4 times as much land cultivated with oil palms as there is orangutan habitat remaining.

[...] this development has become a source of serious concern, because much of the plantation expansion has happened at the expense of Indonesia's tropical forest cover, where forests are disappearing at a rate of more than 2.8 million hectares per year

Meanwhile, in Brazil with the deforestation drive to provide land for biofuels..

Deforestation is responsible for 80 per cent of Brazil's carbon dioxide emissions.

the AGW environmentalists must be proud of their work to save the environment.

Cup of irony with two lumps of sanctimony ?

Bruce Wayne
1st Sep 2010, 15:31
It was 4 metres when I was there Lon.

your finger norm or the dike/dyke ?

belfrybat
1st Sep 2010, 15:54
Deforestation is responsible for 80 per cent of Brazil's carbon dioxide emissions.

Unfortunately true, but has nothing to do with biofuel, only greed. After felling the valuable woods, the rest is burned for pasture. All illegal as hell, but with environment agency staff shortage and underequipped very hard to keep under control.

MagnusP
1st Sep 2010, 15:56
One tree. That's all I want. One Brazilian Rosewood tree. Is that too much to ask?

Oh, sorry, I thought I was still in a guitar thread.

green granite
1st Sep 2010, 16:24
Coldest August for 17 years, the month also saw the chilliest temperature recorded in August for 23 years 12.8C in Edgbaston, Birmingham.
During the last 100 years, 30 Augusts were cooler, 63 were warmer, and seven had the same overall mean temperature.

hellsbrink
1st Sep 2010, 17:02
Okay, back to the original reason for this thread, and how the stuff BP/others dumped in the GoM has supposedly shafted the Atlantic Conveyor/Gulf Stream/whatever-else-it's-called (NOTE: They're blaming it on the BP OIL SPILL and NOT on AGW/ACC/ACDC/ACatonaHotTinRoof/whatever-the-new-name-this-week-is-for-something-they-made-up).

IF there was the remotest bit of truth in the whole thing, don't you think other, more mainstream and respected, websites and publications would have picked up on it? There ain't a squeak anywhere apart from some tinfoil-helmet blogs (one of which claims millions of dead fish washed up on the Louisiana shore and that the oil from the GoM spill is radioactive....) so where is the big scary headlines in the press since there's no way this sort of thing would be squashed by any Government?

green granite
1st Sep 2010, 17:11
This is what concerns me as well hellsbrink, after all it could, in theory propel the world into another Ice age.

Storminnorm
1st Sep 2010, 17:18
Interesting bit on the telly about Giant Squid last night.
You could make a fortune in Spain selling "Giant Calamares"
But they were in the Pacific.

hellsbrink
1st Sep 2010, 17:43
Well, GG, it don't worry me because it ain't actually happening! After all, you have ONE scientist (not checked out details on him yet, will soon) who has made a claim based on data that gawd knows how many scientists can see. Why haven't they seen anything? After all, this is the world where even Chinese censorship cannot control the internet so someone would get the info out to reliable sources instead of "strange" websites which accuse the mass media of stifling the "news"!

Also, when you think about it, the Gulf Stream is linked to far more than just the GoM, it's part of a worldwide circulation of water. So why haven't these other currents stopped as well? Trade winds also follow these currents, so why is there a bloody big hurricane heading towards the Caribbean/USA?

It's all tosh, and another tinpot conspiracy against BP.

Lon More
1st Sep 2010, 18:28
where is the big scary headlines in the press since there's no way this sort of thing would be squashed by any Government?

Well they faked the moon landings and 9-11 so why not this?

:}

rgbrock1
1st Sep 2010, 18:38
Lon Moore:

I have photographic proof, yes proof I tell ya, that the moon landings were indeed a hoax.

If you look closely a this photo, the astronaut in question is holding a moonbat. And we know bats don't live on the moon. (Only cheese does.) So if the astronaut is holding a moonbat, how can a moon landing be true?

http://www.rightwinged.com/images/photoshops/moonbat.jpg

hellsbrink
1st Sep 2010, 19:10
Ahem.

Getting back on topic I've found an extract of the actual report from Dr. Gianluigi Zangari which says bugger all like what the moonbats on the blogs are saying. Also I have doubts about the whole thing due to the small matter of a method to "check" the maps processed by the Colorado Centre for Astrodynamic Research being one patented by the good scientist himself! In other words, it sure ain't "independent".

Look at the extract yourselves, and see how the words "may", "plausible", "correlate" and "forsee" are used which indicate that the scaremongering bloggers are twisting things to suit their own agendas. As usual, as they do with Global Cooling.

http://www.associazionegeofisica.it/OilSpill.pdf

Nemrytter
2nd Sep 2010, 07:56
Getting back on topic I've found an extract of the actual report from Dr. Gianluigi Zangari which says bugger all like what the moonbats on the blogs are saying. Also I have doubts about the whole thing due to the small matter of a method to "check" the maps processed by the Colorado Centre for Astrodynamic Research being one patented by the good scientist himself! In other words, it sure ain't "independent".

So you're complaining that a scientist is writing an article based upon his own method?:ugh:

It's not peer-reviewed (and frankly it's not very good), but it is an interesting article. It'll be interesting to see if he can improve the scientific content to an extent that makes it publishable in a proper journal.

BlueWolf
2nd Sep 2010, 08:07
So Simonpro, out of interest, how many papers - roughly - have you been involved in reviewing, and if you were to submit a paper for review, what field or fields would the people who reviewed it mostly be working in?

Genuinely curious.

hellsbrink
2nd Sep 2010, 08:09
No Simon, I am saying it cannot be trusted due to the fact that his "method" is PATENTED so any other avenue of checking the way he "checked/modified" the original assessment is closed as nobody can use any sort of method that is similar to his without being in breach of patent laws. In other words, the only way to check his findings is by using his patented method which will obviously lead to the same conclusion, no matter what the facts actually are!

Can't you see the obvious issue in that?

Oh, and considering the amount of scientists that have been studying the GoM since the oil spill happened, why is there not one peep from anyone else, using the same data from CCAR, that is even hinting at this? Do explain that one.

Storminnorm
2nd Sep 2010, 15:40
Totally correct Basil.

pacific_waters
22nd Sep 2010, 22:53
Because it not a one shot deal. Renewable does not mean no impact.

pacific_waters
22nd Sep 2010, 23:02
The North Atlantic Drift and the Gulf stream are not synonymous. The Drift is a continuation of the Gulf Stream as the Gulf Stream.

Davaar
22nd Sep 2010, 23:49
They share the same latitude as Labrador They share the same rock too, so I have read.

Dr Draper?