PDA

View Full Version : Dunsfold today?

Dave Haggas
29th Aug 2010, 22:42
I was at the Dunsfold Wings and Wheels day today. I have not witnessed a Harrier display for some years now. I waited until the end of the event to witness this remarkable aircraft do its routine. I have seen quite honestly hundreds of Harrier displays in my time. I feel the display today was very lack-lustre. It really seemed to be off. I do not mean the flying skills of the pilot, but its content was in my opinion, simply not there.
Is it a sign of the times? :confused:

aviate1138
30th Aug 2010, 06:51
IMHO the Only Harrier displays really worth watching were by John Farley. Never understood why he hasn't been Knighted. He has done more for the British image around the world with his displays than most. Lots of actors get Knighthoods for just pretending so someone who regularly does something for this country requiring actual balls, is overlooked! :rolleyes:

chevvron
30th Aug 2010, 11:41
I agree aviate; John was the only person who could really show off a Harrier, especially his vertical 'Farley Rocket' climbs. On his last ever departure from Farnborough in G-VTOL, I cleared him 'left turn direct Dunsfold climbing to 2000ft' and he did just that; vertical liftoff, rotate with no forward motion until the aircraft was pointing vertically, then climb away to 2000ft!! Awesome. Nobody does that nowadays.

Dave Haggas
30th Aug 2010, 21:37
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. If I was the current display pilot, John would be the first man I would HAVE to talk to.
John, if you are reading, do reply as it would be fascinating to see what you think?
I think a certain force needs your input old chap:ok:.

hurn
30th Aug 2010, 23:58
Well to be fair it's listed as a 'demo' rather than a display which is probably why it's not as dynamic as in the past.

But having myself not seen the Harrier since 2006, coincidentally at Dunsfold, I was happy with what we got.
I think 90% of people just wanted to just hear the roar and spectacle of the hover again, and that's what we had, so given the rarity of seeing a Harrier doing it's thing at a show, I wasn't too unhappy.

It's fine reminiscing about the past, but I'm just happy to see one here and now as it wont be long until it's just a part of history.