PDA

View Full Version : Police helicopter overhead Notting Hill - what frequency?

rich_g85
29th Aug 2010, 20:19
Just wondering what frequency the Police helicopter would be on while overhead the Notting Hill Carnival. Presumably he's talking to Heathrow as he's so close to the 27 approach?

Thanks

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
30th Aug 2010, 07:02
Answer is it could have been on any one of several. At that position, inbound aircraft would be well above it so there would be no problem there.

chevvron
30th Aug 2010, 11:45
Or to put it another way rich, you have no 'need to know'.

Agaricus bisporus
30th Aug 2010, 12:41
almost certainly 119.90 which is the SVFR freq for helos and vfr traffic in the zone.

Shame about Mr dog-in-the-manger above, sad git.
The info is freely available to all, whats all this smug need to know crap? Idiot.:ugh:

Skipness One Echo
30th Aug 2010, 13:05
It's not 119.9MHz these days, was changed a while back. Heathrow Special 125.625MHz is your freq.

possibleconsequences
30th Aug 2010, 19:53
Agaricus

the frequency information may be freely available though you would , of course, be breaking the law if you were to listen in. Pity about your abusive attitude too.

rich_g85
30th Aug 2010, 21:18
Thank you Skipness1E, that's one in the eye for 'chevvron'. :)

For info, I had no desire to listen in - I was merely curious as to who helicopters working in that area would be speaking to. I had a hunch it may be Heathrow Radar, but just thought I'd find out for sure.

Thanks again.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
30th Aug 2010, 21:56
Does "Heathrow Radar" exist as a callsign nowadays? They changed the callsigns several times and the SVFR controller used to be "Heathrow Director". Thames Radar could also have been working the helicopter so my original posting was factually correct.

I'm sorry that a person who might be a pilot appears to be illiterate and should behave in such a rude manner on here. Thank God I never came across one like that in all the years I was in the job.

Skipness One Echo
30th Aug 2010, 23:52
Heathrow Approach appears to use "Heathrow Director" on 119.725MHz, 134.975MHz and 120.4MHz leaving 125.625MHz as "Heathrow Special". When the Police helicopters are working this station or Thames Radar on 132.7MHz you will not be privvy to Police transmissions per se which are I believe on a secure band. Hence the chopper has an operational Police callsign say "Sierra 91", the more mundane "Police 251" is heard on ATC. I need to stop watching the Police chases on Sky 3. Hope that helps a little.

ATCO Two
31st Aug 2010, 02:45
The callsign for 125.625, the SVFR position, is still Heathrow Radar. This position now also controls most VFR/SVFR traffic in the London City Control Zone, as well as SVFR traffic in the London Control Zone.