PDA

View Full Version : Lets make it easy to post pictures.

390cruise
29th Aug 2010, 11:41
Hi

Yesterday I spent over an hour trying to post a picture from my hard drive as part of a reply. I read in detail a number of other threads here detailing the various procedures to be followed. Far too difficult.

So it seems to me that 'people who know lots about computers' have chosen a procedure that is perfect for use by 'people who know lots about computers'!!!!

Elsewhere it is possible to push 'search' that brings all locations of pictures from hard drive on to screen find picture push 'open' and (drum roll) picture is posted.

Well....?

Computer dunce

Ancient Observer
29th Aug 2010, 14:03
Well said. I agree 100%

mixture
29th Aug 2010, 14:20
390cruise,

The problem with the PPRuNe forum setup is that you cannot upload pictures, you can only provide a link to pictures hosted at another location.

As someone who falls into your 'people who know lots about computers' category, I frequently cannot be bothered to follow the extra steps involved and don't bother uploading a picture when I occasionally would like to do so as an illustration to a reply.

However, looking at the other side of the coin, I can understand where they are coming from :

1/ Storage space costs money. With x number of members, the amount of storage space could soon rack up .... especially with the less computer literate members uploading photos that are not optimised.

2/ Bandwidth costs money. Through the link route, your browser will send a seperate request to retrieve an image from a different location. If images were to be hosted on PPRuNe servers, then the additional bandwidth requirements would need to be met by PPRuNe rather than 3rd party servers.

3/ I guess there may possibly some attempt to avoid legal liabilities by not hosting the photos themselves.

So there you go, a catch 22.

BOAC
29th Aug 2010, 15:15
Wot 'e sez, plus the fact that it avoids the 'shotgun' technique sometimes seen on Spotters' Fora where scores of pictures are posted. This way you need to make a significant effort to post a pic and it does deter the 'fly-posters'.:)

Loose rivets
29th Aug 2010, 15:58
Nowt truer than 'A picture is worth a thousand words.' but hosting them is the issue as mentioned above.

I wouldn't mind using Photobucket - If only they'd leave the :mad: thing alone.

Just lately, it's changed radically. For part of the procedure, I have no idea what's going on and don't care to waste my time trying to find out. Where the photos go on download has become a total mystery.

However, do try to get some pix onto these forums, I'm homesick, and would like some of Frinton please.:ok:

LR

vulcanised
29th Aug 2010, 16:55
I have found Flickr to be very useful in this respect.

Helped no end by its instant recognition of me on first visit because I am known to Yahoo.

390cruise
29th Aug 2010, 21:11
Hi there Rivets

Funny you should mention pictures of Frinton, I was trying to post two pictures of the Battle of Britain memorial flight orbiting round the Naze tower from my postion at the top of said tower!!!!!. This was part of a thread in military regarding events at the Naze.

For those of you not 'Essex People' I refer to events near Walton on the Naze in that incredible county!!!

Not a 'Fly-poster'

henry crun
29th Aug 2010, 22:18
I do not consider I know lots about computers, apart from knowing that if I click the icon of the program, I want it usually appears.

That said, I have no problems using the current system to post a photo.

LR, I have just had a look at Photobucket and it appears to be much the same to me.
I uploaded a pic last week without a problem and it appeared in my album, so what are the radical changes you have experienced ?

PPRuNe Towers
29th Aug 2010, 22:51
More effort = less likely to post pixel pap.

Also the reason to make using the quote function a process rather than a simple click.

Also the reason to block sigs and avatars.

Regards
Rob

Loose rivets
30th Aug 2010, 04:16
Henry. That's so odd. It looks for all the world revamped to me.

The folders are there, but when I download they go I know not where. Finally, I use recent downloads or summit like that, and finally get to the target. I've given up on organizing the folders. Note: I've been using it happily for many years.

Well, I found this one from this summer. Naze tower has some very interesting history. Apart from its use as a Trinity House landmark, (it sits atop a 70' high cliff.) And a radar station in WWII and beyond. It had intrigue an believe it or not, murder by a Vicar, in time gone by.

It seems that the Vicar was one of those regular visitors of the tower. Hell fire club comes to mind. Anyway, he was jealous of a Lord somebody, and admired an actress.

When, in the West end, he saw the actress enter the cab of Lord somebody, he pulled out his pistol, and shot her dead. He was hanged.

The Naze, of Walton on the Naze is where I grew up, and we didn't fully realize just what a paradise we lived in. The Naze peninsula holds the sea from 7000 acres of tidal backwaters where Swallows and Amazons was filmed. Creeks had their own smugglers, customs officers, and pubs. I stayed in a friends house opposite one of these. ( A mile of stony road, and so damp you had to moor the bed to the wall.) Very,very atmospheric.

God, I'm homesick.

And yes, it does lean over. And the Red Crag cliff erosion is so bad that the tower may not last another 20 years.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/walnaze/DSC_0336.jpg

mixture
30th Aug 2010, 09:21
Also the reason to make using the quote function a process rather than a simple click.

Also the reason to block sigs and avatars.

Hmm.... got a case of "do as I say but not as I do" here .....

Regards from the Towers
[email address]

and

http://www.thelandroverclub.co.uk/phpBB2/images/avatars/169865670344087cfbbc4ae.gif

If you want to go all retro, then do it properly, and go back to 90's style text only forums....... or even a step further.... email lists....

:ok:

Loose rivets
30th Aug 2010, 11:43
Re oversized pictures.

One thing I find handy is to NOT have the picture inserted inside the coded brackets.

This means the reader has to click on the link, but somehow, the size becomes correct no matter how big the photo is.

I haven't tested it to extremes BTW.

vulcanised
30th Aug 2010, 11:49
go back to 90's style text only forums....... or even a step further.... email lists....

Why not go the whole hog and reintroduce Bulletin Boards?

PPRuNe Towers
30th Aug 2010, 14:28
That's definitely an idea worth considering seeing as our most rapid expansion ever was with the immense complexity of an email digest.

Simplifies life for us greatly. There's a tradeoff to be made. PPRuNe gets run by people actually flying the line day in day out or by office cubicle bunnies.

We made the choice to minimise the eye candy, ad ons and gee gaws. We make the sign up as unpleasant as possible yet remain possible. It's a conscious and considered form of flood control. The same applies for pics and quotes. The site is an absolute magnet for those interested but not strictly associated with its title.

We plough our own furrow and leave the internet wide open for those who actually believe you need all the stuff suggested. If you are right we will need a tumbleweed icon. So far and after 14 years without pandering to the audience we haven't had to design that icon.

Rob

Bealzebub
30th Aug 2010, 15:35
One of the good things about this site, is that no matter whether the posts are good, bad or ugly at least you can read them without being assaulted by: repetitive idiotic signatures; prayers, thoughts of the decade; advertising, writing in fluorescent scarlet in letters six inches high, and all the other visual dross that the mindless and bereft use to substitute for any meaningful substance.

call100
30th Aug 2010, 17:07
Just for Loose Rivets....
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/DCBHX/Frinton-on-sea.jpg

airborne_artist
30th Aug 2010, 17:36
It's soooo hard:
Take picture
Drop onto PC
Edit/crop picture
Upload to Flickr/Photobucket, and copy link
Write post on PPrune
Insert image link into Pprune post
Pour beer and laugh at responsesMost clever mobile phones will do 1-4, by the way, as I did with the pic below.

Blimming site easier than when we were kids - just waiting for the film to be printed was a week, and then sending the prints round all the friends/family was another week, and lot of stamps.

The yoof of today ..... :E

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4135/4862623325_b1250bd77c_z.jpg

bnt
30th Aug 2010, 22:51
Also, if you have a free Dropbox account, you can just put the image under the Public folder and get the Public URL to use here. (It also has a Pictures folder, but files in there are assembled in to a nice gallery, rather than just made public.) If you want to try it, I have this referral link (http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTg1MjYxOQ) that gives me 1/4 GB of free space whenever someone signs up through it.