PDA

View Full Version : Detection Power Superb !

OFSO
29th Aug 2010, 07:56
Last night before I went to bed I noticed Mrs OFSO had left a plate of savoury buns she'd baked on the kitchen counter top. We have not seen any ants there for ages but I thought safe is safe, put them in a plastic bowl, covered them with clingfilm, took them in dining room, left them on table where we have never ever seen an ant in 15 years.

This morning Mrs OFSO goes in to get one for breakfast, "I'll have one covered with puppy seeds".

Scream. Poppy seeds are moving.

Bowl is covered with ants, COVERED, table covered with ants. Ants walking down central leg of table, disappearing across floor. Mrs OFSO took bowl outside, underneath plastic bowl is black with millions of ants. Look everywhere, finally discover ants have crossed path outside from garden, climbed wall, crossed sill, entered house through drip hole under sealed window, descended wall, crossed carpet, climbed table leg and crossed table to get to buns.

How in the zarking fardwarks did they know ? It was blowing a gale last night, how did they detect the buns across that distance ? And what was in the buns to drive them beserk like that ?

Mrs OFSO very annoyed. she liked her savoury buns (so did I, but not with moving poppy seeds).

jimgriff
29th Aug 2010, 08:24
But you didn't see that lone SAS FOB ant on top of the dresser with a radio and laser designator did you? He'd prolly been there for a few months waiting for the meoment the buns made an appearance.
Crafty blighters these spec forces ants ....:suspect:

Gentleman Jim
29th Aug 2010, 09:57
Ah now in these parts the locals are wise, and said buns would be in a bowl, but the bowl stood on a plate and the plate will have water poured on it. Result, no moving poppy seeds. But you are right, you just need to leave a scrap of food out, especially something sweet and they are there by the thousand in no time at all. How do they do that?

parabellum
29th Aug 2010, 10:02
They probably came in to get out of the lousy weather and couldn't believe their luck when they discovered that, as antarian act, you had left them supper!

OFSO
29th Aug 2010, 14:27
As a wee bit of a test, one bun of each sort (w/without cheddar cheese) was laid on the ground outside the dining room window to see which they'd go for.

Although there is 'interest', there's nothing like the hysteria seen when the ants had to negotiate a long and winding road to reach the same things on the dining room table.

Therefore I surmise it was the expedition which was the point of the thing, and eating once there was of minimal importance. Take the challenge away and they lose interest.

Very human-like.

P.S. Lousy weather yes, but lousy-dry, not lousy-wet. Hasn't rained properly here for six months.....

vulcanised
29th Aug 2010, 14:42
I have an old fridge/freezer out the back and often put leftovers on top of it for the birds.

Late the other evening I spotted a large snail had climbed all the way up and was tucking in to the food.

I swatted him off into the bush but I suppose he'll be back in a couple of weeks.

larssnowpharter
29th Aug 2010, 14:47
Put savoury buns in microwave for 10 secs on max.

Dust off poppy seeds

Sorted.:E

Loose rivets
29th Aug 2010, 16:33
I swatted him off into the bush but I suppose he'll be back in a couple of weeks.

Are you alluding to that joke? . . . .after a year, there's a knock at the pub door. Snail says, Waddaya do that for?

You lot obviously don't know what ant's antennas do. As they wave them, the fabric of the Universe conveys to their brains, an holographic image of all edible substances within five miles.

A A Gruntpuddock
30th Aug 2010, 03:39
"You lot obviously don't know what ant's antennas do. As they wave them, the fabric of the Universe conveys to their brains, an holographic image of all edible substances within five miles."

That's my grandchildren. Even their mum complains about how much they eat! And what is really annoying is that they are all extremely fit.