PDA

View Full Version : 50,000 bond at Qatar

jetzdrvr
28th Aug 2010, 15:59
Can anyone shed some light on the new rule at Qatar. Instead of 3 years $36,000 bond they now have 2 years $50,000 bond? Is there deduction from the bond with each month of service? For example after 1 year, will I owe only $25,000 instead of $50,000 if I decide to quit?

If you get fired, do you still pay the bond?

Also, from reading another thread, it seems like the 777 sim is backed up and it took one pilot 6 month from joinning date to be released to line? that's a long time. is the A320 sim also backed up? And are the 777 and A320 sims in Doha or are you sent somewhere else?

How long is ground shcool by the way? and how long after you finish ground school do you go to the sim? If you finish ground school and then have 1 week before you start sim, are you allowed to leave Doha and go hang out in Dubai?

what about after you fnish IOE, are you given any days off before you start a trip?

deserthawk9
28th Aug 2010, 20:14
TREAD CAREFULLY!

I know nothing about the bond in QA. The recruiters will tell you what the latest rules are.

As to time to on-line, it is a totally variable feast. If you're lucky you could be on line in about 2 1/2 months, if not it could take 6 months. Depends on luck of the draw and where you do your training.

Good thing is that you get basic pay from day one, There are some airlines out there that pay peanuts training pay until you check out so that you pay for their poor organisation and inefficiency. Singapore Airlines is a good example, they pay roughly half basic pay whilst you are training and you get no other allowances so most have to subsidise the airline to get through the training period.

Big problem here is that it takes 3 months to get staff travel priveleges, so whilst you may have blocks of days where you are doing nothing it will cost you full fare to get home for a few days. As usual there is no problem for the guys here for beer money who have travel consessions from their previous company!

At the moment the poor planning of infrastructure for the high rate of expansion means that simulator training is being done all over the world including, for instance Alteon at Gatwick and Singapore!

Going elsewhere whilst in training is all about being a grown up. If you have days of TBN (to be notified) or blank days you have to make your own assessment as to what are the risks of leaving Doha. Fact is, if you ask most people will cover their a---s and say no. If you read the situation with an ounce of sense no one will notice your absence. Fleet managers usually respond intelligently to requests to go home for a few days when roster is empty.

Ultimately, under the present ultimate authority, you can be screwed at any time for the most trivial of reasons. As a relative newby I have to say that it appears that most of the guys who get the sudden shafting probably had it coming for one reason or another. Nevertheless, the inverted T micro-management style employed by the present incumbent is like something out of the middle ages. The effect on the Company is totally negative and has a detrimental effect in all departments. It is the biggest problem that Qatar Airways has at the moment and the future development of the airline is in jeopardy until such time as someone who is educated, experienced and above all dignified takes the helm.

Sorry for the thread drift but if you are going to come here and be bonded I guess all info is relevant.

At the moment anyone joining QA should think very carefully about bringing family, buying cars or commiting in any way to life in Qatar. Once you are here with all those trappings they have you by the balls. Come alone, see how the land lies and once you feel confident that both sides of your contract will be honoured then make your decision.

fokkerplod
29th Aug 2010, 02:01
Hi the bond is constantly changing, was $50,000 decreasing over 3 years, but then changed to $30,000 decreasing over 2 years (if you already had boeing experience and were doing the short course, else $50,000 over 2 years)

Also the 2 or 3 years doesnt start until you finish your final line check so that could be up to 6months extra.

Also the bond doesnt reduce at all if you leave in the first 12 months!

flying is great once your finally online though.

Iver
29th Aug 2010, 02:57
jetzdrver,

Wow, that's a big commitment. Make sure you read about the A320 schedules nightmare if you intend to join on that fleet (read many posts on the bigger joining QR thread). Big point, don't expect a fast jump to the A330 or A340 fleets if placed on the A320 side - you will sit on that fleet for a long time and endure their schedules. Much better to join the 777 fleet if possible (having Boeing experience would be helpful for that). Remember, both QR and EK need pilots due to significant pilot attrition (because of these types of issues) and hyper fleet growth - so, you do have some bargaining leverage if you don't "need" to be there. If you get flak, look elsewhere.

If you have Boeing experience, tell the QR folks it needs to be Boeing or you aren't going...

Good luck!

jetzdrvr
4th Sep 2010, 03:49
Yeah I've read all about the gloom and doom at Qatar and I know what I am getting myself into. Right now sitting in the FO seat for 4 years and going forward and it might just be a minimum of 2 to 3 years in that seat as well! I figured I go somewhere where at least I am getting paid decent. There are 3 companies that I want to work for in the US and I have submitted to all 3 of them but no call yet.

So let me get that straight, the $50,000 bond for 2 years does not have any reduction at all? so if you leave let's say you have 9 month left on your contract and you decide to leave, it is still $50,000 you have to pay?

And yes, I am aware that the bond starts when I am released to line and it could take some time before I get to that.