PDA

View Full Version : Puma Float Certification - Max Sea State?

Bladestrike
28th Aug 2010, 10:03
I seem to recall the venerable ole 61 was certified to 3 metres seas, or something along those lines, but I cannot find a sea state mentioned in the AS332L RFM Supplement or Aerospatiale Training Manuals (they do list percent buoyancy and buoyancy volumes, but no note of sea state).

If anybody knows if the numbers exist and where to find them, it'd be appreciated, preferrable 332L but any of the Puma family (incl 225) numbers would be good.

Got plenty of opinions already, but looking for references if they exist.

Thanks.

sox6
28th Aug 2010, 10:29
EC225 and AS332L2 are Sea State 6.
AS332L may have been just SS5 - just like the oh so advanced S-92A Cougar had.:ugh:

You need to recheck your S-61 memory as you are out by a very, very big factor.

squib66
28th Aug 2010, 13:34
I've been told recently that Shell also opted for the lighter and cheaper Sea State 5 float kit on their S-92s. I'm surprised - though not as surprised that Cougar waited until after their accident to order the float upgrade.

Can anyone confirm the standard Shell fit?

Bladestrike
28th Aug 2010, 14:20
Yeah, it's been a long time since I flew 61s offshore.

Are those sea state numbers found in the respective RFM float supplements?

piggybank
28th Aug 2010, 23:26
Speaking as a mech rather than a pilot. Surely the lighter sea state floats on a Puma series would not be the factor as far as settled in the water stability goes. In two events of Pelita Air Service Puma landing after emergencies, the helicopters sat in the water with water about ten centimetres deep in the passenger cabin.

Aerospatiale said this is a design feature, and gives greater stability in once settled in water. I suppose this makes the assumption that the cabin doors are not open as waves riding through are going to definitely affect that small amount of added stability.

If anyone has a long memory one was at Matak Island in Indonesia about 1980 pilot Ted M and Dick R, same year for the one Aceh, Sumatera. Pilot Wolgang S and Mech John B.

Variable Load
29th Aug 2010, 01:57
I would guess the 332 was certified at SS4 - but don't confuse that with what the aircraft is actually capable of!

Can anyone confirm the standard Shell fit?

There isn't a "Shell standard" as such. The Brunei machines are SS5, with Malaysia having one at SS5 and one SS6. The SS5 machine will be upgraded at some point to the CHC standard. Given the conditions of the S China Sea, SS5 is perfectly reasonable.

As for the "Shell" Bristow S92s in the N Sea - I'm not sure but it looks like they are SS6 (there aren't many photos out there). The Nigerian machines have SS6.

212man
29th Aug 2010, 03:50
I've been told recently that Shell also opted for the lighter and cheaper Sea State 5 float kit on their S-92s. I'm surprised

Which machines are you referring to? SS6 floats weren't available when the BSP machines were ordered and in any case, as Variable Load says, SS5 is more than adequate for the sea conditions over which they operate (daily wave height generally around 3-6 ft.) Plus, the High Intensity Strobe Lights - which are fitted where the floats would be - are probably more of a 'real world' safety enhancement!

Sorry if that contradicts the negative connotations of your story teller's intent :mad:

C.C.C.
29th Aug 2010, 20:13
Just to confirm that the 6 IAC S92As flying out from Scatsta, including Shell flights to the Brents, are equipped with SS6 floats. All but 1 (the 1st delivered G-IACA) have had the HISL retrofitted as well.
there aren't many photos out thereHave at look at the CAA G-INFO website, photos of G-IACA, G-IACE & G-IACF. This one clearly shows the SS6 float on the starboard sponson together with a blanking plate behind it where the HISLs have now been retrofitted - Photograph of Aircraft G-IACF (http://www.caa.co.uk/applicationmodules/ginfo/ginfo_photo.aspx?regmark=G-IACF&imgname=G-IACF002&imgtype=jpg)

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/GImages/G-IACF002.jpg

Variable Load
30th Aug 2010, 11:02
Have at look at the CAA G-INFO website

I've never used G-INFO before. Pretty impressive. I even know the guy who took the photo :eek: