PDA

View Full Version : worth getting instructor rating

Clintonb
28th Aug 2010, 08:22
So im wondering if any one has some insight to this. im debating whether to go for a course that includes the instructor rating its a bit more money i got to fork out, i end up with FAA and JAA instructor ratings but i want to know is it worth forking the extra cash out i know its one way to build your hours but ive heard that even getting your instructor rating its hard to find a job with flight schools, but on the other hand people say its good to have on your CV for later in the future when applying for lets say airlines.

plus any other ways to build your hours and gain experience while working and earning bit of cash along the side.

Thanks for your help and have a great weekend

suraci
29th Aug 2010, 23:01
Check which countries you have or can get the right to work in, there is no world wide shortage of instructors so the qualification will not automatically get you right of residence and a work permit.

poina
30th Aug 2010, 01:31
Don't look at it as a way to boost your time. It's worth it's weight in gold to teach you how to fly. There's no better way to get perspective than seeing your students make the same mistakes you did. Don't stop at CFI, get you CFII and really learn instrument flying!

LEONIDA
30th Aug 2010, 02:09
I have done it and did not give me any better chance. At airline interview it much worth hours made with aerotaxi, parachute jumping, banners and anything else where you are PF , it could give you only a little chanse to be FI under salary in big schools when they do not find airline pilots who want to work for them as FI, save the money.

Trolle
30th Aug 2010, 09:29
Out of respect for your students and the profession of flight instructing you should only get a FI license you want to instruct.

Yes, you get the hours and the experience, but there is nothing worse than an instructor who merely goes through the motion of teaching while dreaming of a seat in a jet.

I taught for a few years and my goal was to get a jet seat, but I loved teaching, still teach, and take it very seriously. Unfortunately, I have seen instructors who hated instructing and it reflected in their work.

As poina said, there is no better way to get to know a subject than to teach it to others. If you spend time with students you will definitely learn something in return.

Clintonb
1st Sep 2010, 05:41
Thanks very much for your responses guys. Totally agree with the instructing its a good way to get to know it inside and out being exposed to it everyday. the school i been looking at in florida the course they have includes both FAA and JAA instructors ratings.

i don't have a problem with getting work permits in different countries plus i speak 4 languages could say 5 but my french is a bit rusty don't get to practice it that much.

Thing is i wouldn't mind teaching, i love teaching people the things that i know and sharing my experiences its the best feeling when someone has a smile on their face and also experiences the excitement and joy of something that they came to learn. but as they say you're not guaranteed a job with a flight school when you finish the course and speaking to few other schools they kinda stick to their students which have done the instructors course with that particular school they went to. So just want to get an idea of other jobs so that i know what kind of back up I'm looking at.

but just out of interest what other jobs are there apart from banner flying, skydive jumps, crop dusting???
I've heard bushing flying is also another one but i would reckon you would need some skill and hours heard its pretty intense flying especially if its in serious terrain like up in alaska etc and you would have to take a course for that field. Is this true that you need experience? so anything else out there than the ones mentioned above???
also would you be able to get one of these jobs with 250hrs???

Thanks again for all your help and shedding some light to this topic.
safe flying

Clintonb
7th Sep 2010, 03:47
another thing do you have to keep your instructors rating current??? just want to find out whether i do get my instructors rating and then find a job charting whether that instructors rating will expire if i dont instructor over a period of time????

MIKECR
7th Sep 2010, 21:03
I havent the faintest about FAA Ratings but in JAA land the FI Rating remains current for 3 years.

BigGrecian
8th Sep 2010, 01:59
i don't have a problem with getting work permits in different countries

Really? What makes you different to the thousands of other pilots after the right to work in different countries?