PDA

View Full Version : Pizzas

Senior Paper Monitor
28th Aug 2010, 02:31
Most weeks at Monitor Towers will see one evening given up to .a bottle of red and a pizza.

Home made (occasional shop purchased base) with our toppings of preference - as ever, her and my preferences are diametrically opposed as one might expect.

So here I am at 'god that's silly' o'clock knocking out a couple of basic pizzas to chill and join the grandchildren on picnic tomorrow when I decided to share my secret variation with you (mainly in order to slow the current rate of red wine consumption) ....

I have always had a deep suspicion of Mozzarella (with the possible exception of the really expensive stuff which senior management refuses permission for me to use for pizzas) - a temporary short supply a few weeks ago led me using a couple of thin slices of brie in its place - works for me (no more mozzarella for me!)

Your preferences ?

Buster Hyman
28th Aug 2010, 02:42
I'm actually curious as to the English aversion to Pineapple on Pizzas. Any thoughts on this SPM?

Rollingthunder
28th Aug 2010, 02:48
No fruit, no fish on Pizza

Margarhita.

Or Chicago style deep dish pepperoni and a beer or two

Only mozzarela allowed is Buffalo

Senior Paper Monitor
28th Aug 2010, 02:52
I don't 'an aversion' but not my preference - I'm a thin base, americano style (but bring in brie and some nice parma ham) man myself.

I like crispy and find the pineapple (like tomato slices - I just use a basting of passata) soggs up the base.

Although a few years ago had a crispy duck and hoisin sauce (tomato I think, but no cheese) one in a very mediocre hotel in Finchley that was absolutely memorable and I must try to replicate.

Rollingthunder
28th Aug 2010, 02:55
Bah. pineapple, and from Oxford. bet you inhabitate Browns

Senior Paper Monitor
28th Aug 2010, 02:57
Very occasionally Mr Thunder - and some time since she let me go out anywhere let alone 'the city' :=

Senior Paper Monitor
28th Aug 2010, 03:00
Very rarely eat pizza out these days - as we prefer our own varities BUT ...

If you ever use Costco Cash & Carry they have basic but wonderful pizzas at just 1.50 a slice (a proper slice) ... pepperoni, bbq chicken or margherita (sp?) option - or at least the Reading one does.

Rollingthunder
28th Aug 2010, 03:03
Very nice covered market though. once saw Chelsea Clinton walking by with a very concerned boyfriend and a deer hung (not in same place). Nice restaurant that makes full English and tea in tea ball. Nice butchers.

Three benches on road cost half a mill.

Senior Paper Monitor
28th Aug 2010, 03:05
Covered Market - particularly the butchers (about 6 of them) - is excellent and surprisingly good value. Excellent cheese stall - Oxford cheese company. I have a mate who is exec chef at one of the colleges, who introduced me to a few of his suppliers there. A bit of a foody's heaven.

Rollingthunder
28th Aug 2010, 03:07
Yups....like the place and the Cornish Pie Factory just near.

In fact, love the town even with the puking drunks at midnight.

Senior Paper Monitor
28th Aug 2010, 03:10
The Cornish Pie thing is a franchise and having originally had a Cornish lady as my 'significant other' I rather held them in distain, BUT tried one while bored in Maidenhead town centre the other day and it was excellent.

Cornish Pie Factory (or whatever it is called) now on my emergency rations supplier list.

I refuse to go the Gingsters, Pukka Pies, Greggs etc etc route for Cornish Pasties.

Rollingthunder
28th Aug 2010, 03:13
Can't go wrong with the old favorites.

Like talking to an old friend.

11Fan
28th Aug 2010, 03:49
Papa Johns. Southern California. Pepperoni. Phone call to plate, 40 minutes.

Peter Fanelli
28th Aug 2010, 04:01
Location........Flying Club, late
Situation........Hungry pilots.

Ok decision is made to order several pizzas, someone will always want ham and pineapple while other partakers will order all kinds of crap like olives and anchovies.

person who ordered ham and pineapple will suffer all kinds of remarks possibly concerning sexual preference

and yet, when the pizza arrives it is always the ham and pineapple that everyone goes for first.

Why is that?

Buster Hyman
28th Aug 2010, 05:53
'Coz fruit on Pizza acts like an aphrodisiac.

Tyres O'Flaherty
28th Aug 2010, 08:17
SPM

Naples.

Everything tastes better there, inc (stating the bleeding obvious..) Pizza.

(Bicester inhabitant)

cdtaylor_nats
28th Aug 2010, 08:29
Tesco now sell a Haggis Pizza. In a moment of insanity I thought - "I like haggis and pizza" so I bought one.

Next evening I was putting it in the oven thinking "What was I thinking".

It was HORRIBLE.

G-CPTN
28th Aug 2010, 08:48
It takes guts to stomach haggis . . .

Whirlygig
28th Aug 2010, 10:07
G-CPTN, that was an offal pun ...

Cheers

Whirls

batninth
28th Aug 2010, 11:16
Papa Johns. Southern California. Pepperoni. Phone call to plate, 40 minutes.

Pizza Piccante, Barwick-in-Elmet, Quattro Stagioni (with cheese on top of the meats). Phone call to plate slightly under 40 mins (but then I go and fetch it as B-i-E is a very nice village)

cdtaylor_nats: Haggis on a pizza?!?!?! Now, haggis as part of a Scottish Breakfast, I'd say that is a good use of haggis.

Metro man
28th Aug 2010, 13:39
As long as they don't deep fry the thing which is fairly common in Scotland.:yuk:

http://fattyfriday.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/deep-fried-pizza-chipshop.jpg

Now this looks much more appealing.:ok:

http://mymelange.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83545496553ef0105371f2ff8970b-500wi

Peter Fanelli
28th Aug 2010, 13:48
Now this looks much more appealing

No.......it doesn't I'm afraid.

:yuk:

Buster Hyman
28th Aug 2010, 14:58
It appears that the salad bowl, next to the pizza, has exploded....

larssnowpharter
28th Aug 2010, 16:00
Some 13 years ago I had a 50% share in a small pizzeria near Bari.

All I can tell you is that the best thing about pizza is the margin.:ok:

G-CPTN
28th Aug 2010, 17:02
I agree - my daughter in law never eats her pizza margins, so I pinch them from her plate and scoff them!

tony draper
28th Aug 2010, 17:20
Pizza? just some kind of fancy cheese on toast int it?:)

larssnowpharter
28th Aug 2010, 17:29
I agree - my daughter in law never eats her pizza margins, so I pinch them from her plate and scoff them!

Have to say I enjoy the crusts too!

Seem to recall that one of those sceptic pizza franchises started putting cheese in them.

If you knew the amount of salt that - typically - goes into the dough you would be less keen on eating them! Still - loke salted peanuts - increases the sales of wine and soft drinks.

Recall, as a sprog in Malta, buying local bread of the unleavened variety. This would be dipped in olive oil and then have a a few anchovies dumped on it, a squirt of tomato sauce. Cheese was extra and, being poor urchins, we gave it a miss.

Memory tells me such luxury ( and it was tasty cost 3d in old real money before dismalization).

Le Pen
28th Aug 2010, 17:45
Best Pizza in the world...........................

FABRICA PIZZA GALLARATE - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=FABRICA+PIZZA+GALLARATE&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

Nom!!

Love

LP

Parapunter
28th Aug 2010, 17:48
So Larrs, what's the mark up on a Margharita then?:confused:

G-CPTN
28th Aug 2010, 17:53
Used to get excellent pizzas in Bedford (UK).
There was a high proportion of Italians who were brought in to work at the brickworks. Many stayed and brought over their families.

Italians in Bedford | UK news | The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/jan/23/britishidentity.features113)

larssnowpharter
28th Aug 2010, 18:07
So Larrs, what's the mark up on a Margharita then?

Margin was around 70% on ingredients. Rent, staff etc around 40%.

Good pizza dough needs to be made in advance so there were judgements to be made re quantities. Better to over produce rather than disappint customers.

We would open the next morning to sell deep fried old pizza dough which was sugared (think of it as a doughnut) with espresso coffee.

Profit on coffee was around 80% on ingrediets but the dough would have been binned if not used up.

Pugilistic Animus
28th Aug 2010, 18:11
they just don't make real pizza in the US any more it used to be my favorite food...long strands of mozzarella--thin crispy crust--right from a corner hole in the wall for75 cents ...now I think the cheese is made from high density polypropylene and the sauce is automatic transmission fluid---:yuk:

larssnowpharter
28th Aug 2010, 18:19
Used to get excellent pizzas in Bedford (UK).
There was a high proportion of Italians who were brought in to work at the brickworks.

Similar in Peterborough.

Mike X
28th Aug 2010, 18:26
Ah yes. Was in the biz for several years. Dough is most important. Crap tasting base, crap pizza. Experimented & created the finest tasting base (thin, of course). The boss of the first pizza franchise in my country was a regular. Me, independent

Best pizza combo ever : Salami, anchovy, garlic & pineapple. :} Warning : Make sure you have copious amounts of water available at 3 in the morning.

I'd love to share the pizza secrets I discovered through interminable toil, but won't. Well, maybe.

Let's not start on Calzone - one of my specialities.

P.S. You really should try a pickled herring & feta pizza. Sublime.

Parapunter
28th Aug 2010, 18:31
Wow, I feel a career change coming on.

I can just see it now - I can't understand it Parapunter, you've sold 3000 pizza's this week & you're barely squeaking by...:O

con-pilot
28th Aug 2010, 18:33
they just don't make real pizza in the US any more it used to be my favorite food...

With most Pizza chain style places I tend to agree with you PA, however, there are a lot of mom and pop style places in the US that make fantastic pizzas. A little place here in OKC makes a chicken pizza with a garlic/cream sauce that is just great. At this restaurant you can chose your toppings and type of sauce. I get the chicken, red onions, fresh spinach with the garlic/cream sauce with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.

The dough is made daily and hand tossed.

Tankertrashnav
28th Aug 2010, 18:37
Pizza? just some kind of fancy cheese on toast int it?http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

Yeah and dont you just wish you'd got in on the Pizza business when it was taking off? The mark-ups (as have already been alluded to) must be enormous. Pizza must be up there with bottled water in that respect. When you look at what goes into an average Pizza, 75p ($1) would be quite enough to pay!

larssnowpharter
28th Aug 2010, 18:41
One is thinking of opening a Welsh rarebit franchise.

Name; 'Shove 'Apenny Rarebit'

G-CPTN
28th Aug 2010, 18:45
Your stock would multiply . . .

larssnowpharter
28th Aug 2010, 18:50
One hereby claims interlectural propery rights on that one.

con-pilot
28th Aug 2010, 18:54
The only fast food that is as profitable as pizza would be tacos (Tex/Mex style tacos). There is less than .50 cents of ingredients in a product that sell for three to five dollars, or more in some restaurants.

vulcanised
28th Aug 2010, 21:19
Pizzas have to be extremely profitable - it's a rare day when we don't get at least one revolting leaflet for them, and a rare week when we don't get two for the same outfit.

redsnail
28th Aug 2010, 21:31
Had a fantastic pizza in Napoli the other evening.
Across the atrium at the Holiday Inn (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=safari&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF8&q=holiday+Inn+Napoli&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=holiday+Inn&hnear=Naples,+Italy&hl=en&view=map&cid=6021094953797776632&iwloc=A&ved=0CIkBEKUG&sa=X&ei=uXB5TNr4As_gjgeOqoCkCQ) there's a great Trattoria. Delish pizzas. :ok:

Love Napolese pizzas. ;)

Parapunter
28th Aug 2010, 21:54
I gather one of the tricks of the trade at the commercial level, is to throw a little granulated polenta on the dough - gives that slightly dusty nobbly feel to the pie crust.

No idea if that's true, bloke in the pub told me. And one can't believe what blokes in the pub tell one.:suspect:

Sirikit
28th Aug 2010, 21:57
I hate pizza!

Yuk!

Metro man
29th Aug 2010, 02:17
There's an excellent pizza place at Trinity Beach just north of Cairns in Australia. Fresh ingredients cooked in a wood fired oven. Beats any of the delivery chains hands down.

Pizza Trinity, 77 Vasey Esplanade, Trinity Beach.

Solid Rust Twotter
29th Aug 2010, 07:54
Villa San Giovanni (http://www.vsg.co.za)

Giovanni makes good pizza, about the best I've had anywhere in the world. Looming over the chef's shoulder encouraging the addition of extra cheese, anchovies and chili with gentle nudges is one of the perks of being a regular customer.:ok:

V2-OMG!
29th Aug 2010, 08:16
Pizza gives me gas, I'm afraid. :uhoh:

Solid Rust Twotter
29th Aug 2010, 09:22
Sounds like you're sitting on a fortune in natural energy Ms OMG....:E