PDA

View Full Version : Stall vane

Broomstick Flier
28th Aug 2010, 01:03
Hi,

Earlier today while discussing Citation CJ3 stall characteristics we ended up realising that almost all aircraft we manage to recall (mostly single/twin engine props) have the stall warning vane, or the stall warning system for that matters, located at the left wing leading edge.

Off course we could not find a logical reason for that, besides, convenience, coincidence or perhaps some old standard that was kept over the years.

Could someone shed some light on this?

Cheers
BF

polarbearjim
28th Aug 2010, 03:55
It doesn't look right does it?

skylimey
28th Aug 2010, 05:35
Maybe something to do with the direction of prop rotation?

martynj3
28th Aug 2010, 09:32
Shortest path for the plumbing to blast the warning into PIC's ear?

Checkboard
28th Aug 2010, 17:51
The airspeed indicator (before pitot tubes) used to be on the left for the pilot to see it:

http://thaiaviation.com/gallery2/d/450-2/Tiger+Moth+Airspeed+Indicator+Closeup.jpg

Love_joy
28th Aug 2010, 19:41
DHC8 400 has the AOA sensor on the starboard side.

Never thought about it before, but all other types I have flown have it on the left hand side.

orion1210
29th Aug 2010, 08:13
I would of thought its to allow the P1 a better view to check for ice build up or fod damage etc should it start playing up.

All single system citations have the probe/vane on the STB fus' just behind the cockpit area. Dual systems have another probe on the portside between cockpit and main door.

AerocatS2A
29th Aug 2010, 09:38
DHC8 400 has the AOA sensor on the starboard side.You'll probably find one on the port side too if you have a look.

Broomstick Flier
29th Aug 2010, 16:19
Now that is an interesting arrangement Checkboard.
Which aircraft is that?

Cheers
BF

Love_joy
29th Aug 2010, 20:26
You'll probably find one on the port side too if you have a look

Sure enough!

AerocatS2A
30th Aug 2010, 12:02
Now that is an interesting arrangement Checkboard.
Which aircraft is that?
I'm sure there are other aircraft that have this kind of ASI but the only I've seen it on has been the Tiger Moth. The picture is consistent with a Tiger Moth but it might be something else. Not all Tiger's have this kind of air-speed indicator, all of the ones I've actually flown have had a pitot tube and a pressure ASI instead.