PDA

View Full Version : BA: We are about to crash...oops we are not....

bs13
27th Aug 2010, 21:37
British Airways apologizes for crash message
(AP) – 4 hours ago

LONDON — Passengers on a British Airways flight from London to Hong Kong were mistakenly told to prepare for a crash landing, causing panic onboard.
The carrier said Friday it had apologized for causing customers distress after an emergency message was accidentally triggered.
Passengers were warned during a flight Tuesday that the Boeing 747 may crash into the sea. They heard the message: "This is an emergency. We may shortly need to make an emergency landing on water."
Michelle Lord, who was onboard, told Britain's The Sun tabloid that her fellow travelers were deeply frightened when the taped warning was played over the airliner address system.
"People were terrified. We all thought we were going to die," said Lord, 32.
British Airways said cabin crew quickly reassured passengers that the flight was not in danger. The company said it is investigating how the error happened.
"Our cabin crew immediately made an announcement following the message advising customers that it was played in error and that the flight would continue as normal," the airline said in a statement.

The Associated Press: British Airways apologizes for crash message (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h0XqY06z1EQ1KFtQOfNbVdOazJWAD9HRV7VO1)

Airclues
27th Aug 2010, 21:59
The Sun strikes again;

A British Airways pilot hit the wrong button - and made terrified passengers think they were about to crash into the sea.

This message is triggered by a guarded switch at door 1L. There is absolutely no way that this message can be triggered from the flight deck of a 747. But then, why let facts get in the way of a good story?

Dave

fincastle84
28th Aug 2010, 05:38
Having read the conjecture on the CC thread that this sort of event might become part of the Bassa guerilla tactics to upset the pax, maybe this wasn't an accident.:confused:

Rush2112
29th Aug 2010, 02:24
I would imagine that a lot of Hong Kong dry cleaners did quite well out of the arriving passengers... I know I would have needed their services :eek:

Anansis
29th Aug 2010, 16:21
Maybe it was actually referring to BA's share price... :E

Mr Optimistic
29th Aug 2010, 19:29
Don't tell us where the switch is - it will be seen as a form of in-flight entertainment.

Juan Tugoh
29th Aug 2010, 20:56
Don't tell us where the switch is - it will be seen as a form of in-flight entertainment.

Actually that is exactly what the switch is - part of the same system interface that controls the AVOD on the 747.

glad rag
31st Aug 2010, 10:21
It's just a bit too tidy.

^^^this^^^

SeenItAll
31st Aug 2010, 20:01
I recall a comic strip sometimes back (perhaps in the New Yorker). The first panel shows one pilot exclaiming to the other pilot on the flight deck, "the red light is on, we're all going to die!" The second panel shows the other pilot replying, "you idiot, that's just the cabin public address 'on' light."

AerocatS2A
1st Sep 2010, 02:30
http://s2.hubimg.com/u/209665_f520.jpg

etrang
1st Sep 2010, 04:48
There is absolutely no way that this message can be triggered from the flight deck of a 747. But then, why let facts get in the way of a good story?

Well, it was the Sun so its hardly surprising if the story contains factual errors. But, despite current "safety" regulations, it is still possible for pilots to leave the flight deck.

Juan Tugoh
1st Sep 2010, 07:01
it is still possible for pilots to leave the flight deck.

Would you care to expand, as far as I am aware there are no prohibitions on pilots leaving the flight deck.

Airclues
1st Sep 2010, 13:12
Juan

I think that etrang is suggesting that one of the pilots could have walked back through the upper deck Club, through the galley, descended the stairs, walked up through Club (or WT+), through the FC galley, activated the guarded switch in full view of the cabin crew, then returned via the same route (while the PRA was playing). All without being noticed of course. :confused:

Dave

Juan Tugoh
1st Sep 2010, 13:34
Airclues, thanks for that.

You have a more devious mind than mine, I just thought they were spouting off about something they had no knowledge of. On a more balanced re-evaluation I bow to your better judgment. Thanks for that.:)