PDA

View Full Version : Emirates Pilot Recruitment Roadshows In Uk.

cuberoute
27th Aug 2010, 18:24
I have been asked post info .

There is a lot of interest in Emirates so

What I know..........

The dates are :-

20th Sept Gatwick
21st Sept Stanstead
22nd Sept Stanstead
23rd Sept Luton
24th Sept Manchester

Starting 10 am and finishing 1300 .

Cheers.

737 Jockey
27th Aug 2010, 19:13
Does anyone know the roster pattern? Is it commutable?

Thx

:0)

falconeasydriver
27th Aug 2010, 19:28
737 Jockey, go and have a look at the ME forum...all the detailed info you need to know is there.
The basics of it are that we bid for our work pattern, and depending upon seniority, how well you understand the bid system and bid group priority, depends upon what kind of roster you get.
FWIW, my 92 hrs last month consisted of 2 x ULR trips (LAX) and two Europe trips (FRA & GLA).
I had 16 days off, but would definitely not call it commutable. A few more senior guys that I know commute, mostly to the US, as the septics (and their hangers-on) seem to struggle the most with the sandpit:}

737 Jockey
27th Aug 2010, 20:28
Thank you Falconeasydriver.

:0)

flite idol
27th Aug 2010, 21:34
Always be sceptical of a septic in a sandpit:ok:

cuberoute
29th Aug 2010, 08:40
To apply to Emirates, candidates must have a minimum of 4000 total and 2000 multi-crew, multi-engine jet hours; or a total of 2500 hours on a modern commercial jet aircraft, ICAO ATPL, ICAO English level (4 or above) and be current within the last 12 months.

London Gatwick
Sofitel Hotel London Gatwick
North Terminal, Gatwick Airport, West Sussex, RH6 0PH
10:00 -13:00

21st Sep 2010
Stansted
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stansted Airport
Waltham Close, London Stansted Airport, Essex, CM24 1PP

22nd Sep 2010
Stansted
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stansted Airport
Waltham Close, London Stansted Airport, Essex, CM24 1PP

23rd Sep 2010
Luton
Holiday Inn Luton South
M1/Jct 9, London Road, Markyate, Nr. St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL3 8HH

24th Sep 2010
Manchester
Radisson Blu Hotel Manchester Airport
Chicago Avenue, Manchester M90 3RA

Hope this helps !

Aussie
29th Aug 2010, 21:50
I know guys with interviews in the following months that dont meet those mins... so i wouldnt stop applying just because of the mins they advertise...:=

EGCC4284
30th Aug 2010, 00:03
or a total of 2500 hours on a modern commercial jet aircraft

s_bakmeijer
30th Aug 2010, 00:55
does anyone know what a modern jet actually means?
since what year?

Marsellus
30th Aug 2010, 08:19
Swa it means that you have to have 2500 hours total medium or heavy jet. The first one you've flown doesnt really count.
But im sure with the expantion going on its possible to go for a assesment.
Just apply;-) You'll see!!!!

Gulfstreamaviator
30th Aug 2010, 08:47
It will be very intersting to see just how many LCC crew go sick in that week........

I know two guys and two gals who have already developed a fever.

glf

superced
30th Aug 2010, 08:53
not roadshow in FRANCE. it's a lack of respect for us.

Firestorm
30th Aug 2010, 09:01
The roadshow answers all the questions, and you can get freebie coffee, and a biscuit! If you think you want to join it is well worth going.

I expect that they will have a roadshow in France in due course superced.

ItsAjob
30th Aug 2010, 09:10
not roadshow in FRANCE. it's a lack of respect for us

The organisers obviously prefer the good ol English fry up for breakfast than the croissants!

737 Jockey
30th Aug 2010, 09:52
Probably couldn't get there due to French ATC strikes!

Vive la Rost Boeuf!

;)

Callsign Kilo
30th Aug 2010, 13:17
They have probably seen your posts superced, made a sweeping generalisation regarding your nationality and as a result subsequently cancelled the Paris roadshow tout suite! I hope that this cannot be confirmed as stereotyping anyone or anything is displaying ignorance at the highest degree. Our French cousins should never have to be subjected to such behaviour. It is totally unwarrented.:ok:

Doug the Head
30th Aug 2010, 14:44
Perhaps superced does not like his employer very much, but by judging by the overwhelming enthusiasm that a lot of low-cost pilots display for the recruitment plans of Emirates, I guess he must not be alone in his criticism...

A much smarter plan would be to make sure that your employer in Europe does not treat you like sh!t, so that you won't have to escape to that Fata Morgana in the Middle East, but hey, that would require some balls, planning and foresight wouldn't it? Instead people prefer to shoot the messenger! :ouch:

Fight of flight? That's the question.

Most of the spineless low-cost pilots choose the flight to the Middle East and in a few years time they will be just as disappointed in that big sandbox flying a shiny 380/777 as they are now in EZY or RYR based in Southern Europe flying a shiny 319/738. :ugh:

Mr Good Cat
30th Aug 2010, 16:12
Secondly, can you explain why so many pilots from ......... ohhh ....... shall we say ...... easyJet, want to leave and go to the sandpit. Difficult to get a decent pint of real ale in the sandpit, so why go?

No it's not actually, especially if you like Belgian strongs.

easyJet have a fleet of very new, shiny, state of the art airbuses, and most FO's can get a command with pretty minimal hours (<5000) - that's a lot less than many airlines.

At Emirates you can get a command on 777 or A340 with 6000 hours.

I just hope that all these EZY / FR guys know what they're doing. The 3 big reasons to come out to EK are:

(1) The Flying / Destinations. No other operator can match the variety of interesting (and not always so nice) places.

(2) Quick command for a widebody. Again no other Legacy Carrier can offer this.

(3) Dry weather. Apart from July / August the weather's great if you're from Northern Europe.

You don't come here for money or time off or an easy ride. If you are you're in for a BIG surprise. Don't get sold by the glitzy sales package at the roadshows. In truth it's halfway between what the recruiters tell you and what you hear on PPrune. I came here for the flying, the weather and a quick (ish) command on a biggie. In that respect I am very happy...
:cool:

edymonster
31st Aug 2010, 10:49
Is there any official link to these roadshows?

SVENSK
31st Aug 2010, 20:03
I love it....it's obvious when you start to notice flights being cancelled :)

SVENSK! :ok:

White Knight
31st Aug 2010, 20:25
What kind of "profession" is this that would live in a mall in a desert rather than fight to make home the place to be?

Well, after nearly 8 year happily flying and living in the sandpit I've yet to bed down in a mall:}:} Of course - you could fight for home to be the 'place to be' but hopefully you speak Urdu, Hindi or Pashtu:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Uncle Wiggily
1st Sep 2010, 11:54
not roadshow in FRANCE. it's a lack of respect for us.

Emirates doesn't want any 35 hour work-week, strike-minded lightweights cluttering up their sandbox. :E

Doug the Head
2nd Sep 2010, 08:53
Emirates doesn't want any 35 hour work-week, strike-minded lightweights cluttering up their sandbox.:EExactly! They want obedient company-minded slaves who can be 'molded' any which way they please! :{

gardenshed
2nd Sep 2010, 10:11
Dont Bank on a command in Emirates with 6000hrs try 6 or 7 years as a FO first then get your command in your shiny big jet.:ugh:

Mr Good Cat
2nd Sep 2010, 13:37
Dont Bank on a command in Emirates with 6000hrs try 6 or 7 years as a FO first then get your command in your shiny big jet.

This is exactly the point I was making.

Emirates has opened the doors to EZY / FR cadets with 2500 hours total - all of that 2500 being on jets over 55t.

Therefore five years at EK doing 800 hours a year or so will giev you a command at 6500ish hours.

My point is that guys in their situation CAN get a command at 6000ish hours providing they join at the right time and market conditions remain favourable. It's also true that you could join a low cost airline (some would argue EK is just that hehe :ooh: ) that has an upgrade policy of 2000 hours and still wait 5-7 years in the right seat.

Every career move in this industry is a gamble.

Doug the Head
2nd Sep 2010, 20:46
Well, if there's one thing you should have learned by now is that a command, no matter how 'quick' you get it, is no guarantee that you are actually working for a career airline...

Perhaps even to the contrary, as all this talk about commands takes your eyes of the issues that really matter in the long run: is it a decent company and are you going to like it there?

Most low-costs offer a 'quick' command (just on a slightly smaller shinny jet...), but look at the price you pay for it in terms of lousy T&C's: it's the very reason you now suddenly want to leave! Catch 22... :ugh:

Iver
3rd Sep 2010, 02:48
How many other airlines out there will provide those wonderkinds with the left hand seat of a 777 or A330/340 at only 6500-7000 hours? Yeah, not many. You can expect to wait a lot longer for a left hand seat of a heavy jet nearly everywhere else.

Right or wrong, that type of career progression is extremely rare. Plus, who wants to be left hand seat of LCC and do so many sectors per day, every day for the rest of your career? It would be like that movie Groundhog Day. I can see why so many Ryanair and Easy refugees are looking to flee. Some people might prefer multi-sectors to long haul - whatever floats your boat.

dcsagcs
3rd Sep 2010, 03:00
I have heard that they will be looking for DEC very soon....
:D

Mr Good Cat
3rd Sep 2010, 06:06
I have heard that they will be looking for DEC very soon....

They always have. they always will.

The difference this time is that they'll be targeting the guys who work for the Majors and have the relevant experience in truly global operations.

3 years ago they got their fingers burned by recruiting a small number of DEC's with no true experience outside N.America and Europe and (unfairly?) didn't give them the required training or preparation for such a situation. I know a few of them didn't make it through the training, and a number of those that did were subsequently demoted (even fired) due to some incidents.

Unfortunately the onus is on YOU as a DEC, and you're expected to know everything there is to know about every type of flying we do here, even with no previous experience of the sort of routes that EK flys... there is NO support for even the smallest of slip-ups unfortunately.

I wonder if there will be an improvement to the package significant enough to pull in a few experienced 777 guys from BA...? I'm sure ultimately that's what they're after. The days of getting a DEC on a 777 with 10,000 hours domestic short-haul only experience are in the past unfortunately.

Still, will be tough to find the right guys with the way they've tarnished their reputation here on Pprune...! :ugh:

Mr Good Cat
3rd Sep 2010, 22:04
Yes.

As I said EK always have, they are now (taking applications anyway), and they will in the future.

All Companies have a "DEC on a contingency only" basis, but if needs be they will take them on. Less training therefore less cost. As the famous philosophers Run DMC once prophesised : "it's like that, it's just the way it is..." :(

skyflyer737
4th Sep 2010, 17:09
Does anyone have dates / locations for the Emirates FO Informations Sessions / Roadshows around Europe for Sept / Oct 2010? I have the UK dates but was wondering if there are any others planned?

Thanks

TOPC
18th Sep 2010, 14:42
How many people normally attend these roadshows .?

ryanairpilotSTN
22nd Sep 2010, 20:55
I went to the meeting in STN on Tuesday. About 30 there - approx 20 Ryanair - remainder EzyJet and Titan. A colleague said similar numbers today.

Very informative although the deal is not that interesting for an existing FR Capt.

Emirates staff were late for the event!

A funny moment was when a very gaunt PB from Ryanair walked down the hall while we were waiting outside the door. He counted the heads and caused some embarrassment for a few of us - typical FR.

Doug the Head
23rd Sep 2010, 03:09
A funny moment was when a very gaunt PB from Ryanair walked down the hall while we were waiting outside the door. He counted the heads and caused some embarrassment for a few of us - typical FR.Typical that you guys are embarrassed (read: intimidated) that easily by a school yard bully... :hmm:

About 30 there - approx 20 Ryanair - remainder EzyJet and Titan.20-30 is not a lot IMHO. Perhaps the more chicken ones (or the smart ones) working for Michael-Yong-Il's Gestapo airline went to another city to avoid detection? ;)

Norman Stanley Fletcher
23rd Sep 2010, 08:07
I wish everyone well going to Emirates, and indeed would actively encourage people to go. If this is the promised land for you then fill your boots. I think, however, the words of Mr Good Cat are excellent and should be listened to by all who are thinking of applying.

Regarding Superced's observation of no roadshow in France yet, it is always good to ask those difficult questions. If I was a recruiter in the HR department of a major international airline and read the posts of someone who has hated every employer he has ever had, and is already offended by my company before I got there, would my response be to lay on a roadshow for him and his fellow travellers? If there were literally hundreds of very experienced, highly motivated pilots queuing up to joing my company who have done everything in their power to make their own airline a success, would I scrabble around looking for miserable, unhappy people who hate flying, hate the airline industry and openly state their desire to make their employer's life as difficult as possible? Let me think now.....

jedy
23rd Sep 2010, 08:21
RyanairpilotSTN

Very informative although the deal is not that interesting for an existing FR Capt.

Could you tell us why? Is it because the money not enough?

Any info about upgrade times for current RYR captains.

HighLow
23rd Sep 2010, 09:12
Wow, PB is now double jobbing !!!! Bouncer too? his talents never cease to amaze me.....how sad that he feels it necessary to waddle down to STN Emirates Roadshow and do a roll call....Senior RYR FOs obviously becoming even more of a worry for PB and his hatchet gang !!

I am delighted to see these guys scrambling, what can he seriously do? employ more cadets??, not an option from what I hear, the cadet recruitment/training is already running at full capacity. anyways that doesnt solve his problem about filling the left seat with new upgrades in the short term.....

one of the posters mentioned he looked very "gaunt" at the emirates road show, he must have stayed up all night, to compose another masterpiece memo which will no doubt soon appear on company intranet... just shows what BS was contained in the last memo...

Good luck to the guys leaving for Emirates, no doubt, once confirmation of employment which will be expected to be announced over the coming months for applicants, RYR will really then feel the pinch.

Once again good luck to the pilots!

Doug the Head
23rd Sep 2010, 10:26
If I was a recruiter in the HR department of a major international airline and read the posts of someone who has hated every employer he has ever had, and is already offended by my company before I got there, would my response be to lay on a roadshow for him and his fellow travellers? If there were literally hundreds of very experienced, highly motivated pilots queuing up to joing my company who have done everything in their power to make their own airline a success, would I scrabble around looking for miserable, unhappy people who hate flying, hate the airline industry and openly state their desire to make their employer's life as difficult as possible? Let me think now.....Yep, plenty of spineless, union-busting, "throwing-away-the baby-with-the-bathwater-will-fly-for-food" pilots found in the UK! Indeed, STN was the perfect choice! ;)

Anything to make that company a great success eh Norman? Even if it means destroying T&C's in Europe, which ironically is the very reason these spineless idiots are now leaving FR and are applying with EK in the first place!

Mission accomplished in Ireland, the UK and soon Europe, next stop: the rest of the world! :ugh:

prunetroll
23rd Sep 2010, 11:17
yes, best of luck to all applying to emirates and others.
RYR doesn't deserve the quality of people its been able to get during the last few years. a couple of years ago, there was no choice but to come here (every other airline was completely buggered) and i genuinely put my prejudices and pre-conceptions to one side and joined up with an open mind. although the money is reasonable for me now, it will probably get worse and the other terms and conditions and the management are squalid so i will leave when the right opportunity appears. if it doesn't appear, then i'll just leave and do something else. no amount of increased money would make me stay (within reason) and i would accept a pay cut in order to make the right move (within reason). i don't want to be a captain with them under any circumstances. i think many feel the same way. i still love flying.

we had a new cadet jump-seating a week or two ago who was ALREADY planning a move to the middle east (he had family out there etc), before he's even done his first revenue flight...

oh and Doug, you really are full of it matey. you're obviously in a bad situation or something because you sound stressed. your analysis and conclusions are so simple mindedly selfish. Lots of british guys wanted a union but we were totally outnumbered. The way ryanair is set up makes it impossible to have a union in the UK alone. the possibility of them shutting the uk bases and basing the planes abroad was simply too high a risk (dont think they wouldnt). that would clearly put us in a far worse position - dole office. in a normal uk company almost everyone would have backed balpa (that doesn't require a spine by the way), but in RYR, it was a no brainer.

fiftypercentn1
23rd Sep 2010, 11:47
these spineless idiots are now leaving FR and are applying with EK in the first place

Watch your mouth and learn some manners first of all, you are not at the pub talking to your mate but on a public forum.

Is it so hard to understand that the problem is the SYSTEM and not the pilots??
I m sure you once dreamed of being a pilot, and I am sure you would have taken any job back then, at any wage. So leave the new kids alone, it's not their fault. We live in a rotten world where the only thing that counts is money, get over it. The only thing that can change the situation is LAWS from the governments that forbid these kind of contracts (not only in aviation!). But again that will never happen because, again, the only thing that counts is money and that is surely more important than the well being of my fellow colleagues!

Doug the Head
24th Sep 2010, 03:09
Is it so hard to understand that the problem is the SYSTEM and not the pilots??The SYSTEM is that the PILOTS are underbidding each other for jobs! I m sure you once dreamed of being a pilot, and I am sure you would have taken any job back then, at any wage. So leave the new kids alone, it's not their fault. Partly correct on that one. Yes, I once dreamed of becoming a pilot and I do admit that it's hard to get one's foot in the door. Nevertheless , and this is a big nevertheless, once you have your foot in the door, PILOTS should focus on preserving the T&C's that our forefathers fought hard for, and not continue to bend over backwards to accommodate the SYSTEM!

It just does not make sense to shrug your shoulder or moan about how "rotten the world has become" and allow airlines to open the floodgates of cadet scams undermining our T&C's that way. In the long run you're certainly not doing these cadets a favour, but in fact you are making their life much harder to pay back their loans, pay for a mortgage, start a family etc. PILOTS would be doing these young guys a much bigger favour by making sure that they will be hired on a normal contract like everybody else! That way they can get on with their lives, career etc and won't have to escape to some godforsaken desert!

The current low-cost airline SYSTEM of Jell-O-spined PILOTS is a downward spiral, a catch 22, and it's the very reason people are now thinking en mass of leaving the low-cost industry in the first place. :ugh:

Iver
24th Sep 2010, 03:22
Hey, this job might actually work for some people and not others. Have you considered that? Some people desire to live in an over-built desert. Some people aspire to long-haul flying. Some people want widebody flying (and EK guarantees it). Some people want to see the world beyond Western Europe. Why wait for 25 years to fly left seat at BA? Some people don't have families to tug along to the desert - they are more flexible with their living arrangements and requirements. How many Indian blokes would trade their left teste for a job at EK? It's all relative mates - and EK know it.

Everyone is so negative about EK on this board. Sure, it sounds like they will jerk you around and over-work you at EK. You should understand that before you start - you will work very, very hard at EK and you will be exhausted. If you cannot understand the fact that you live in another country and you agree to abide by local rules, then don't go there. Stay in the UK or Germany. If you did not do your due diligence and thoroughly vet the place before going, then it is your own fault. Get the facts before you agree to go - that way you will set your expectations and not be so disappointed if it becomes a difficult job. If your spouse doesn't want to leave Ireland, then don't expect her to love Dubai. Think before you sign on the dotted line.

Point is, if you are unbound by obligations and you want some adventure (and you don't want to fly LCC in Europe for the rest of your bloody career), maybe EK should be a consideration. But consider the pros and cons and get the facts. Who knows, maybe after a few years you'll actully like flying the A380 worldwide.

ryanairpilotSTN
24th Sep 2010, 09:38
Iver - I think you are right - EK may well suit some people - but from what I saw at the open day in STN - it is mostly people who failed command in Ryanair or have other issues that are applying to EK.

The fact is very few people have left from FR to EK or any other Gulf carrier.

Ryanair pilots - all day every day for weeks on my flights - have been talking about going to an open day and then not going. Visiting Dubai for a SIM check - is a very different matter - to actually then getting offered a position and resigning your job.

Doug - PB was actually very humorous outside the EK roadshow - if it was my business I would keep an eye on the competition.

No high quality airline appears to be hiring Captains in the Gulf unless they are rated. The FO deals are not that attractive financially.

FlyDubai have hired a handful from FR but I do not think that makes financial sense other than if you do not wish to be in the European tax system. If FlyDubai get short of pilots and improve their deal - well then FR may lose a few more.

Interested to hear what Norman SF can tell us about the situation at EzyJet where I heard there was a very large turnout in LTN at the EK open day.

enigmajet
24th Sep 2010, 10:13
I would like to acknowledge fiftypercentn1's point about unions.
If you are lucky enough to join a company that recognise BALPA great, life is so much easier. I joined a very reputable tour operator and on day one management introduced the BALPA rep. He made it clear we were expected to join up on the spot. For the rest of my time there it was easy, 98% union membership, if management wanted to do anything they had to consult the union. The hardest battle I fought was getting through rush hour Leeds traffic to position to LBA from another base.

Conversely in FR its a different beast, stand up and fight aeh! so many have this vision and I agree with it, the problem with forcing recognition is as 50%N1 mentioned they just close the UK bases and thats it, wife kids house everything you work for up in the air while you try to relocate to mainland Europe.
FR is aggressive in all regards and people have to do whats right for them, this fragments the pilot workforce as it suits some people and infuriates others.

My main point is: if you join a good company with union recognition life is to a greater extent easier and better for the pilot.
If you join an airline without a union and you have to fight tooth and nail risking all to get the union in it is so much harder (you have to actually do something instead of just rowing in with the status quo)
So for all of you who are lucky to have the recognition and good T's&C's take it easy on the bashing. You own fate could have been different.
How many of you regular line pilots actually fight and petition on a regular basis? or do you just let you CC do the job then moan all year?
Its not just as simple as stand up and fight.

fiftypercentn1
24th Sep 2010, 12:47
You see enigma even though you are absolutely right, maybe you didn' t get my point.

I am not talking about fights inside companies, in fact I am not even talking about aviation.
I am talking about laws from the Authorities which companies (any, not just airlines) must obey to.

Example:

Paying for your own type rating/line training: forbidden
Paying for anything more than a CPL: forbidden
Closed number of student pilots for anything more than a PPL every year, based on demand
Flying more than 70 (for example) hours a month: forbidden
The first company that will not observe the rules will be immediately closed and the owners banned from ever starting a similar business ever again.

etc etc etc

What I am talking about is to LIMIT this nonsense of an excessive capitalist attitude which has largely proven not to work (exactly like communism has!).

As I said this won t happen because in this world the only thing that counts is MONEY. So we should stop blaming people trying to create a future for themselves, and look a bit higher up on the ladder. The fish stinks from the head, this is the problem.

Iver
24th Sep 2010, 13:39
Completely agree Enigmajet. If you join a company with a union you are likely to have more control and negotiating leverage - that's intuitive. If you join EK or another airline in the Gulf (any airline that is government owned), don't expect much negotiating leverage. Don't expect the local government to necessarily abide by their agreements - don't be that naive. EK will do what EK wants to do. So, if you go to EK, don't expect any negotiating leverage - you are basically along for the ride (good or bad).

So, go to EK with your eyes wide open. If you can't handle that lack of control, then don't go to EK.

Whippersnapper
29th Sep 2010, 18:20
Doug, wind it in and stop sniping at colleagues who are as unhappy with the state of affairs as you are. All companies have their problems, but criticising the staff for their managers' actions is not going to fix anything - we're supposed to respect and help each other not be at each others' throats. Leave the inter-airline politics to the managers; at least they're paid for it.

Back on topic, I went to the LTN show. There were only about 15 attendees, seemingly a mix mostly of RYR, EZY, BMI and Flybe F/Os. Some had the hours, some not. I had hoped to see the room packed, but there was only one show at LTN and many of my colleagues were working, but there are other ways of finding out about the job.

The show was very slick and the contract offers a lot of money for existing F/Os to think about, especially those who are still single, but isn't going to tempt many current Captains and very few family men. The job and life look very exciting in the show, but reading up on ex-pat life (especially the article in The Independent) shows another side of it. Neither party has skewed the truth, but the papers and the company have very different perspectives.

Some will think hard about it and apply, others will walk away, and good luck to each. It's a big decision, especially for those with families. I don't think it's for me at the moment, though I wouldn't ever rule it out.

Whatever else you say about EK, though, their training system looks amazing, and I can't imagine them cutting corners on training or maintenance given what they clearly spend on infrastructure.

Mr Good Cat
15th Oct 2010, 19:42
Hi all I'm new to this prune business and just wanted to see if anyone had any info about Emirates. I'm going out there for my interview soon and just wanted to get a run down of the T's&C's along with benefits etc. Can anyone help? My baptism into aviation was a roasting with Ryanair followed by EasyJet so I'm not exactly wet behind the ears when it comes to fighting my corner but that is besides the point. I can't take the boredom of fixed roster routine and 4 sector days so I'm after long haul, heavy type and a tax break. Here's what I'm looking for. Sector pay for fo? How long to SFO and CAPT with 3500 hrs? Typical roster? staff travel? the rest of the info I've go so if anyone can help with this I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers

Oh and P.S. Nobody is happy even mates at BA & Virgin but their complaints are not what I'd call hardships and my complaints make them cringe so can Emirates be worse than the low cost pimps if you tolerate living out there?

Everything you need to know re: the interview is in the Middle East forum on the thread "EK and everything you need to know etc"... Just trawl through it and you'll eventually find the info.

Regarding T's and C's Dubai is an expensive place. Maybe not too bad if you're single with no kids and no mortgage in the UK, but you should not come here for the pay or lifestyle.

Rosters are tough at the moment - even though it's less sectors than loco flying it's still 95 hours a month mostly through the night and with difficult rest patterns.

The working environment can be tough as you don't have the protection you may have in home country should you make a mistake while on the job. Several good people (and some not so good) have fallen foul of this unfortunately. Whatever you do don't ever, ever try to think outside the box unless you're falling uncontrollably from the sky. Just come to work do exactly what it says on the tin then go home. I can't emphasise this enough. Even then, mistakes are usually punished rather than mistakes learned from unfortunately. That's the just the way it is at the moment and you should be prepared for this if you decide to join.

Anyway, as for the good points:

Dubai has great weather most of the year (if you hail from the UK or Ireland anyway).

The flying is the most interesting and varied you will ever get to see.

The aeroplanes are brand new and are all good types to have on the licence.

The time to command is excellent compared to any other major legacy carrier.

The guys you work with are super nice and all of the highest calibre (generally with one or two exceptions).

Keep your head down , your record clean and your finances in check and you could have a great few years in command of a shiny new 777 with your days off on the beach.

Hope this helps!:ok:

Mr Good Cat
21st Oct 2010, 07:07
Always good to get some "local knowledge" (i assume you are/have been out there?).

Yes, I'm ex-EZY and currently in EK.

a beach covered in ****

Thanks eagerBeaver, but my beach is actually quite nice. It's clean, and it has landscaped gardens and play areas for the kids as well as barbecue pits. It is one of the good points about being in Dubai,and it is 10 minutes walk from my villa.

FYI it is mostly covered in shady palm trees...:ok:

Jumeira Beach and Park Reviews - Dubai, United Arab Emirates Attractions - TripAdvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g295424-d324227-Reviews-Jumeira_Beach_and_Park-Dubai.html)

I know this because I actually live out here, as opposed to just making random outspoken statements to make myself feel bigger.

C172s
21st Oct 2010, 09:08
:'Iver - I think you are right - EK may well suit some people - but from what I saw at the open day in STN - it is mostly people who failed command in Ryanair or have other issues that are applying to EK.':

ryanairpilotstn,

I know of two Ex Ryanair Capts without issues who have moved to Dubai for a right hand seat in a B777 :ugh: They love the outdoor life and have been used to the finer things in life.

Flying ultra lowcost shorthaul for MOL or Med/Longhaul in a brand new shinyjet with a traditional airline feel albeit for a Sheikh. Its whatever suits you.

eagerbeaver1
21st Oct 2010, 10:44
I did not say that to make myself feel anything. It is true. i remembered reading an article about it a few years ago. I know people who have complained about this problem whilst on holiday. Read the Middle east forum, there are comments there too.

BBC NEWS | Middle East | Raw sewage threat to booming Dubai (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7663883.stm)

Just the first link from google.

No malice intended.

Also the thought of flying for Emirates does appeal, however I don't wish to live in Dubai or any Arab country. So that precludes me entirely.

SplashDown
3rd Feb 2011, 11:53
New dates for the roadshows in the United Kingdom

London Gatwick - 21st February 2011 10:00am
Sofitel
North terminal Gatwick Airport West
Sussex
Crawley
RH6 0PH

London Stansted - 22nd & 23rd February 2011 10:00am
Radisson Blu Hotel London
Stansted Airport
Waltham Close
London Stansted Airport
Essex
CM24 1PP

Manchester - 24th February 2011 TBA

Seems like they are interested in RYR guys & gals with 2 days in STN!

Piltdown Man
6th Feb 2011, 21:04
...Raw sewage threat to booming Dubai

But the biggest threat to Emirates, Etihad etc. might be reciprocity. "Yes, you can have as many flights to Europe as European carriers have to the UAE."

French

VJW
16th Feb 2011, 08:31
Hi there

Is there any truth to the rumour that EK will open a US base in the future?

VJW

Tommy Tilt
16th Feb 2011, 11:46
Does anyone know if they serve any refreshments at these roadshows?

Having paid thousands to con men at Gatwick for my jet rating and line training, these roadshows not only offer the chance of a job, but also the opportunity for a decent meal!

TT.

BigGeordie
16th Feb 2011, 11:56
VJW,

None. EK have always been against bases anywhere but Dubai and there is no reason to assume that is going to change.

Damianik
16th Feb 2011, 12:58
well, there is ONE reason, the reason that despite the look of it, they cannot and will never find enough people. American pilots will return to america, UK pilots will return to UK and so on...Dubai is good for a limited amount of time and the unrest in the region (its starting now) will make a few think twice before moving there. Me for example.
D