PDA

View Full Version : Liu Wei - Armless Chinese pianist

rgbrock1
27th Aug 2010, 17:18
When I first read about this guy I didn't think too much about it. Until I heard him perform on the piano.

For those not familiar with him: Liu Wei is a Chinese citizen who had both arms amputated at the age of 10. He was playing a game of "hide and seek" with his friends when he got electrocuted. So badly that an amputation of both arms at the shoulder was necessary.

He has learned to use his feet as we do our hands. And he has learned to play the piano with those feet.

This video shows his performance on the Chinese show "China's Got Talent" which is similar to shows of that sort here in the U.S. and, I believe, in the UK as well.

Enjoy this inspirational performance by the young man:

X9DilOIZMu4

11Fan
27th Aug 2010, 17:36
Outstanding find there rg. Amazing how someone can take a tragic event and make such a wonderful thing of it.

Two toes up.

airship
27th Aug 2010, 22:20
When you see something like this, someone with very severe disabilities, rising above it all and proclaiming that "I'm here, and doing it", it should make anyone who for whatever reasons feels hurt cause to reflect. There are many reasons (or at least excuses) that I, as an able-bodied person could put forth to explain my behaviour (for example) on PPRuNe. There's always someone to blame right? But how come a Chinese piano player who happens to play with his feet just sails past it all? Whatever happened to his anger / guilt etc. towards the rest of the world?

PS. I'd just like to say that I like the Chinese generally. There are a lot of them these days and everyone will soon experience "their way", as their economy and global influence continues to grow. I believe that the average Chinese has a big a heart as anyone living in the "West". In the sense that we share many common values.

However, the sooner the Chinese get rid of their ridiculous notions that ground-up tiger bones are a beneficial health remedy (compared to leaving wild tigers across south Asia alive and intact - with all their bones) etc., the sooner I will welcome their presence on the global stage with ever widening arms...?!

Loose rivets
28th Aug 2010, 04:19
Juud...this came off China's got Tallent!!!!