PDA

View Full Version : iPhone gps lost?

dv8
27th Aug 2010, 12:38
My iPhone blue dot (your position) on maps 'thinks' I'm in Aldershot UK
Never been there in my life. As soon as I move position it recalibrates to the correct position.
Anyone else have this problem?

mixture
27th Aug 2010, 12:47
Hi,

Which iPad hardware version ? (3, 3GS, 4 etc.)
Is its software up to date ?
Is it jailbroken or clean ?

My guess would be out of date software and you're missing a bug fix, if not, might be worth trying a full reboot (turn off/on) just incase it's a little confused.

Otherwise, perhaps cycle location and GPS related settings in the preferences screens.

Are you trying these tests indoors our outside with a full 360 degree low view of the sky ?

If none of that works, then it might possibly be a hardware fault....

call100
28th Aug 2010, 08:17
If you have wireless turned on, turn it off and try again.......

Mike-Bracknell
28th Aug 2010, 19:16
The iPhone uses IP information from your wifi or 3G connection to make a first guess at where you're located whilst the GPS radio powers on, finds the satellites and interpolates the accurate position.

You most probably have an IP address from your wifi that's registered against Aldersh*t, hence the effect.

call100
29th Aug 2010, 09:31
Try this site..............Skyhook: How It Works > Submit Wi-Fi AP (http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/submit_ap.php)......
If it is a wireless problem.....If not try turning off 3G then turn it back on again....

dv8
29th Aug 2010, 12:48
Its not jail broken
Its up to date on latest itunes and iphone software
Have cycled location services, wifi and 3G on and off in different combinations
The guru in Carphone warehouse was surprised to see the iphone say we were in Aldershot then a few minutes later work out were we really were:confused:

call100
30th Aug 2010, 08:38
Sorry to here you got it from CPW:E....It sounds as if you may have a faulty one. Take it into an apple store and they may exchange it for you. Or have a bit more knowledge and fix the problem then and there.....

dv8
30th Aug 2010, 10:44
Sounds like the best advice Thanks