PDA

View Full Version : I need your advice!

ivtrltd
27th Aug 2010, 10:17
Dear PPRuNe community,
Few years ago I decided to change my career and I want at least to try to find an occupation in the aviation industry not necessarily as an airline pilot.
I have imagined my way into the aviation industry as follows:
Being involved in an operational position (Crew Controller, Flight Operation Auditor, Fleet Coordinator etc.) for two or three years. During this period I plan to study for a human resources qualification to complement my electrical engineering degree (5 yrs Rome/Italy) and Frozen ATPL and to maintain my flying skills and interests by instructing (FI rated but restricted) also improve my fluency in English language. This period would also allow me to learn the procedures of the company, and give me the opportunity to demonstrate my abilities and qualities.
Having built a well rounded curriculum vitae I then plan to apply for a flying position in the hope of being able to contribute flexibly within the company.
Do you think this is a good approach or is it only a naive supposition?
Every suggestion or idea it will be very helpful for me.
Accept my apologies for any grammatical inaccuracy.
Thanks in advance for your advice.:ok:

wangus
27th Aug 2010, 11:06
Hello there,
I hate to say it, but you ask if you are being a little naive? I think the answer is yes. That is NOT a criticism, rather my opinion. Let me expand. I went into the aviation world with a university degree in business studies, 3 years mangement experience in the UK's 2nd largest tour operator, and 2 years in the hospitality industry in management. I then worked for an airline handling agent, and learned all aspects on the industry from check-in, to operations, ramp/ground handling, and ultimately became a flight despatcher. During my time with the handling agent, I completed the Frozen ATPL, and made numerous contacts in the industry, mainly senior flight crew, whom I would call friends today. I was then made redundant last year. I have been qualified for over 2 years, and have never secured an interview. Age now, 36.
Outside of aviation, your action plan would probably show forethought, competence, and make sense.
Inside aviation, total hours / experience are problem #1. But read the posts of 3500 hours TT type rated crew on here looking for work. Even hours cannot guarantee anything. I think the luck factor, and money to BURN if you P2F are the only things helping a 250 hours newbie (like me as well). I will not P2F, but I have a lovely wife, no debt, and realise that maybe it's not meant to be.
To conclude, read every post by WWW. It can be a brutal journey with no job at the end. I hope you can appreciate I write this in good faith......:ugh:

ivtrltd
27th Aug 2010, 12:10
wangus,
Thanks a lot for your reply; I can understand you, so there isn’t any issue about criticism and I appreciate the exposition of your personal experiences.:)
In regard P2F I believe that the payment for the possession of a place of work is at least undignified for a human being.