PDA

View Full Version : British Airways pilot presses wrong button causing mid-air scare

IndAir967
27th Aug 2010, 07:50
LONDON: A British Airways (BA) pilot caused a mid-air scare (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/search?q=mid-air scare) when he pressed a wrong button, triggering an announcement that the aircraft was about to make an emergency landing (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/search?q=emergency landing) on water.

The mistake activated an automated female voice that said: "This is an emergency announcement. We may shortly need to make an emergency landing on water."

The Sun (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/search?q=Sun) on Friday said that there were 275 passengers flying from Heathrow (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Heathrow) to Hong Kong (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Hong-Kong) and they prepared for the worst over the North Sea.

Then cabin crew ran down the aisles and said that it was a mistake.

BA (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/search?q=BA) said sorry for the "undue distress".

"People were terrified, we all thought we were going to die. They said the pilot hit the wrong button because they were so close together," Michelle Lord (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/search?q=Michelle Lord), 32, of Lancs, was quoted as saying.

Another traveller said: "I can't think of anything worse than being told your plane's about to crash."

Read more: British Airways pilot presses wrong button causing mid-air scare - UK - World - The Times of India (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/uk/British-Airways-pilot-presses-wrong-button-causing-mid-air-scare/articleshow/6444278.cms#ixzz0xmp4dsNb) British Airways pilot presses wrong button causing mid-air scare - UK - World - The Times of India (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/uk/British-Airways-pilot-presses-wrong-button-causing-mid-air-scare/articleshow/6444278.cms#ixzz0xmp4dsNb)

:rolleyes:

bArt2
27th Aug 2010, 08:30
In what airplane do you have a button in the cockpit to make that announcement ?? :confused:

ETOPS
27th Aug 2010, 08:44
This is absolute rubbish. The automated announcements are triggered automatically for decompression and manually by the Cabin crew for ditching. The controls are in the cabin not the flight deck.

benhurr
27th Aug 2010, 08:46
"I can't think of anything worse than being told your plane's about to crash."

I can.

SloppyJoe
27th Aug 2010, 08:46
I wonder how many people are going to ask for compensation due to the nightmare they endured causing a fear of flying :rolleyes:

MagnusP
27th Aug 2010, 08:51
"Your plane's about to crash"
"May make an emergency landing on water"

Well, I can see the difference . . . :ugh:

Fly380
27th Aug 2010, 09:01
Funny that. I was heavy crew going to Hong kong in the 90's on a 744 when the same announcement was triggered from I believe the CSD's office. The flight was completely full and there was absolutely no panic at all after a quick PA was made. Many of the passengers didn't seem to notice it. These things happen. It's not unknown for pilots to drop the rubber jungle by selecting the wrong switch which is next to the theraputic oxygen switch. It should be wirelocked but occasionally isn't.

PC767
27th Aug 2010, 09:20
Without giving away too many details, there was an incident on a recent long range flight, where the decompression announcement pa bellowed into life accompanied by full cabin lighting. This was in the middle of a night sector with most passengers asleep. Albeit not during the incident.

Crew in the bunks quickly came into the cabin in various states of undress. Although alarming, this was not a real decompression, and therefore the masks did not deploy.

The reason? A passenger on theraputic oxygen, which plugs directly into the mains ring, decided the flow tube was obscuring her view of the seat back TV, so she reached up and unplugged it herself. This is not the standard drill!

Whippersnapper
27th Aug 2010, 09:51
What type is that on? I thought therapeutic oxygen was administered on all aircraft by the use of portable cylinders, not any kind of overhead mask, but perhaps that's just on the smaller aircraft such as the 737 and the like.

Fly380
27th Aug 2010, 10:12
On a 744 there is a theraputic oxygen switch on the flight deck which allows the passenger to use the aircraft oxygen on a long sector. There is a procedure for initiating it.

MagnusP
27th Aug 2010, 10:42
Crew in the bunks quickly came into the cabin in various states of undress. Although alarming,

Gonna haveta hire better-looking crew! :E

Parapunter
27th Aug 2010, 10:54
Guess I picked the wrong week to give up sniffing Oxygen.

wug
27th Aug 2010, 11:03
I was a passenger on that flight.
It was very disturbing being woken up by the announcement, and being instructed to don oxygen masks which had not appeared.
The crew dealt with the situation splendidly, and everyone calmed down very quickly.
Well done to all.

N707ZS
27th Aug 2010, 11:29
How many announcement buttons do they have?

Storminnorm
27th Aug 2010, 11:34
This only goes to re-inforce my personal view that all
passengers should be rendered unconcious prior to any
flight.
Saves an awful lot of Pi**ing about with food and drink,
and they very rarely get in a state of PANIC whilst snoring.

angels
27th Aug 2010, 11:51
What a splendid idea norm!!

Is one able to choose one's own poison?

I realise that this will not be possible on FR, but surely full fare airlines would allow us to bring our codein, tamazepam etc?

parabellum
27th Aug 2010, 12:04
they prepared for the worst over the North Sea.

and

It was very disturbing being woken up by the announcement,

Something doesn't ring true, over the North Sea is only a few minutes after take off, twenty at the most.

OFSO
27th Aug 2010, 14:31
Read the same story about 30 years ago in the "Readers Disgust", one of those paragraphs at the end of a 'story' to fill out the page.

Thought it funny then.

Not now.

OFSO

Lonewolf_50
27th Aug 2010, 15:40
Another traveller said: "I can't think of anything worse than being told your plane's about to crash."
We can't help the fact that some people are the sad combination of drama queen and utter moron.

Yet the media (Times of India included) chooses to quote the idiots, and put their utterances into print.

Hey, Journos and Editors, I am talking to you: clean up your collective acts! :mad:

fox niner
27th Aug 2010, 15:54
Apparently a BA flight to hong kong had an incindent over the north sea today. A false, pre-recorded PA announcement was made in which a ditching in the north sea was imminent.
Anyone more on this???

BOAC
27th Aug 2010, 15:59
Yup - there certainly is:}

Avman
27th Aug 2010, 16:08
Not the first time this has happened, but it's quickly rectified and not worth fussing about. I doubt that the pre-rec PA specified the North Sea btw!

Mr Scoop
27th Aug 2010, 16:12
you would think that the pax on board would notice that those rather large objects under the wings were still making lots of noise before starting to panic.

malcolmf
27th Aug 2010, 16:27
It seems the pilot activated the PRA by mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!
British Scareways | The Sun |News (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3113394/British-Scareways.html)

BOAC
27th Aug 2010, 16:29
There y'are, mods - see what happens when you don't leave a redirect.................

BA 77
27th Aug 2010, 16:31
@ malcolmf

Do you really trust everything you read in The Sun? Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think there even are pre-recorded message buttons in the cockpit at all. Other news sites are reporting it as a computer error and BA have said in a statement that there are no PRM buttons in the cockpit and that it was a computer error.

Hope that clears things up.

wheelie my boeing
27th Aug 2010, 16:42
Indeed there are no PRA buttons in the cockpit... Rumoured (hey, this is ppRune!) that it may have something to do with a disgruntled section of BA's employees and them seeing this as a way of upsetting BA.

malcolmf
27th Aug 2010, 17:05
Sorry, I was trying to be ironic, after 10000 odd hours on 747-400 I think I know where the PRA switches are!

crewmeal
27th Aug 2010, 17:15
Hell now the Daily Mail have got the story.

'Brace for impact - we're about to crash' Terrified plane passengers hear crash warning by mistake | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1306627/Brace-impact--crash-Terrified-plane-passengers-hear-crash-warning-mistake.html)

AviatorAtHeart
27th Aug 2010, 17:17
Just couldn't resist ....
pVWCEKDDI-E

OFSO
27th Aug 2010, 17:19

What a paucity of imagination ! One could have just read in the newspaper of the conviction of Nadja Benaissa, and recalled a steamy liason with her 10 years ago.....

(And yes, I used to live in Darmstadt)

robtheblade
27th Aug 2010, 19:59
A few quotes from the Mail's readers comments and perhaps a reason to deny you ever read it.

"They should have a plastic cap over the button to prevent this from happening"

----------------------------------------------

"A few years ago on a flight back from Zante a message came over saying there was a drop in cabin pressure and our masks would fall. It then went on to tell you how to place them over your mouth. The problem was it was a pre recorded message and no masks dropped everyone was panicking and trying to force their masks down."
---------------------------------------------

"The Boeing 747 Jumbo jet is considered to have an outstanding safety record. A total of 2,850 people have lost their lives in 747 crashes.'

DM - how can you possibly say that
I would find it hard to accept that there have been 747 crashes in total since the Boeings inception in 1969 - but to have all of these attributed to one company is scandalous.

I for one will never be flying with British Airways and its 'outstanding safety record'.
- smerf, mountnorris, 27/8/2010 11:49

Learn to read 'FOOL'!

'The Boeing 747 Jumbo jet is considered to have an outstanding safety record. A total of 2,850 people have lost their lives in 747 crashes.'

This sentence means crashes involving 747's NOT 747 crashes! YOU FOOL!!!- John, Lugansk, Ukraine, 27/8/2010 12:09

11Fan
27th Aug 2010, 20:05
A few quotes from the Mail's readers comments and perhaps a reason to deny you ever read it.

I think what frightens me more than anything when reading the "comments" section of on-line stories is realizing that those submitting the comments are a representative slice of society.

Decades from now they will look back on these tidbits and come to the conclusion "well, that explains it then."

rgbrock1
27th Aug 2010, 20:09
I second that 11Fan.

Recent comment made by some buffoon in response to a NY Yankee fan's opinion of the Boston Smelly Sox. (Red Sox)

"yo muthaf*ka. Yo mama brought you into this world and all you have to say is the Red Sox sucks? Whats wrong with you? Word. You one dump mutha."

OFSO
27th Aug 2010, 20:17
11Fan, surely you must have realised this when reviewing the results of any election in a democratic country, i.e. USA, France, Germany, UK (not sure about this last one, though).

Pugilistic Animus
27th Aug 2010, 20:22
Did they get into their crash positions?:}

SoulManBand
27th Aug 2010, 20:25
Somehow this story does not seem complete. No mention of "plummeting", "heading for the school/orphanage", "screening in terror" .

The standards are slipping.

silverstreak
27th Aug 2010, 23:18
"I can't think of anything worse than being told your plane's about to crash." ...

I can, here goes...

Finding out the only available flights for your holiday are by British Airways :p

Jimmy Macintosh
27th Aug 2010, 23:30
http://s2.hubimg.com/u/209665_f520.jpg

Cacophonix
28th Aug 2010, 01:04
Never push the foofy flange! You will just be called out for it! :=

CathayBrat
28th Aug 2010, 09:26
Did they get into their cash positions?

Fixed it for u,:ok:
am sure the ambulance chasers are rubbing their hands over this one!